Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wireless Camera Install on 2018 Jayco

Canuck_in_NJ
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys and gals,

Over the Easter weekend we purchased a 2018 Jayco 17 foot TT. We had owned and towed larger trailers when we lived on the west coast of Canada but with the heavier traffic in New Jersey/New York we thought it would be a good upgrade to have a rear view camera when we were driving.

We found a wireless system on amazon,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0762LMTK2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was able to install it right where the middle top marker light was. I used the existing center hole for the wires and then the same holes on the sides for the screws. I used the black plastic base of the marker lights as the base of the camera bracket so it is the identical footprint. I just had to drill 2 holes is the base of the camera bracket so it matched up with the marker light screws and a slightly larger hole in the centre of the light base so I could use a rubber grommet.

Cut the green and white wires and then butt connected them back together with the power and ground cable from the camera. (green was hot in my case)

I then used the existing rubber weather gasket and then caulked around the base again.

Install took about 30 minutes.

The camera has a removable antenna as does the monitor. With the monitor in the cab and the trailer hooked up we have a crystal clear picture and full signal strength.

Very impressed. I have attached some pictures in the links below. (hope they work)

1st picture

2nd picture

2012 Dodge Ram 3500
2018 Jayco Octane 260
8 REPLIES 8

Rustofer
Explorer
Explorer
I think the idea is that for vehicles over a certain width, mid-lights are required so the vehicle is not mistaken for two motorcycles in the dark.

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Never have been able to get the reasoning to have lights on top front or back. Planes don't fly that low and bridges don't care.

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
I took out the three lights and installed one long LED and made it a third brake light and running light. See how long it is until I get stopped for it.

Canuck_in_NJ
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Dodge Ram 3500
2018 Jayco Octane 260

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I just found out I am now out of DOT compliance. I need 3 centre marker lights."

You beat me to it!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Nice install! Not sure I'd worry too much about the marker light. Yeah, you might be out of compliance, but you're probably never going to get pulled over for it.

Canuck_in_NJ
Explorer
Explorer
the camera is now unavailable... you are correct. ---Lame I paid 179.00 Free shipping

Also, please don't do what I did. I just found out I am now out of DOT compliance. I need 3 centre marker lights.. (exactly 3) With only 2 that puts me in the dog house... Looks like I will be re-doing the instal this weekend, and despite what the wife says... drilling new holes in the trailer.
2012 Dodge Ram 3500
2018 Jayco Octane 260

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
I used your link and Amazon shows the camera as unavailable...what was the price when they had them?
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW