cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why understate the length

jodiesel2
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new 28' toyhauler. When I measured the outside of the box for a cover, I was shocked that it was 33' long (not including hitch). Why do manufacturers do that?
2019 Eclipse Attitude 28IBG
28 REPLIES 28

jodiesel2
Explorer
Explorer
JAC1982 wrote:
Yeah we had to learn with our first bumper pull toyhauler that the "27FS" model number didn't mean it was 27' long. We were more like 33'. Thankfully, it didn't cause any issues for us with parking it or anything. That, along with a bunch of other stuff, was part of the learning process in our first trailer. After that we learned to read all the specs ๐Ÿ™‚ Our current 351 5er is actually a bit over 38'.

Several years ago I had a Alfa Gold 27RK that was a couple inches over 27' on the inside. My first toy hauler was an old Sandpiper. The model number had 23 in it. It measured 24' inside. The axles were too close to the back, and as such had way to much tongue weight. Ended up bending a hitch not knowing what I was doing back then. But it sure did haul lots of beer out to Glamis......

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah we had to learn with our first bumper pull toyhauler that the "27FS" model number didn't mean it was 27' long. We were more like 33'. Thankfully, it didn't cause any issues for us with parking it or anything. That, along with a bunch of other stuff, was part of the learning process in our first trailer. After that we learned to read all the specs ๐Ÿ™‚ Our current 351 5er is actually a bit over 38'.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

dedmiston
What's with all the snark? Jodiesel is a new member. Cut him some slack and show him some respect and hospitality.

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully you find answers to your questions and maybe even have a good time.

Apologies for all the piling on. It's not always like this.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

jodiesel2
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
jodiesel2 wrote:
I bought a new 28' toyhauler. When I measured the outside of the box for a cover, I was shocked that it was 33' long (not including hitch). Why do manufacturers do that?

Manufacturer's website clearly says model 28IBG is 34'4"

http://attitudetoyhaulers.com/attitude/attitude-widelite/

Oh ok......so you're saying that, CLEARLY, the hitch is only 1' 4" long then, right?

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
jodiesel2 wrote:

Manufacturer's website clearly says model 28IBG is 34'4"

http://attitudetoyhaulers.com/attitude/attitude-widelite/

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s all marketing. Sort of like pricing at $19.99 instead of $20.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
I measured my neighbors 25โ€™ trailer too get an idea of our maximum length that will fit in our drive way. What he thought was 25โ€™ all along ended being 31โ€™. Lol
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
No idea why they never make the model number even close to the OA Length of the camper one is buying LOL They just do.

I saw on Eclipse site specs are overall length as 34.4 but when I checked it out on a few rv sites it is listed as 33.4 overall....go figure ๐Ÿ™‚

we've had a few trailers in our time and on the last few purchases hubby now brings a very long small tape measure.

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
Surprised to look at the spec sheet for our toy hauler to see it is a 36' unit. I have believed the entire time, 6 years, it was a 32'. What is even more crazy is the spec sheet states it is a double axle but ours is a triple axle. It is the exact same model number as is pasted on the side and matches the book. Everything else is correct including tongue weight and gross weight.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
jodiesel2 wrote:
I bought a new 28' toyhauler. When I measured the outside of the box for a cover, I was shocked that it was 33' long

LOL

Sounds like you bought a 33' toy hauler, not a 28 footer... and it had "28" in the model name.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mine is understated by inches.

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide wrote:
Many people like to think they are going "small" and the manufacturers know that. Sort of like getting a 32 waist size that's labled 30. Also a question of exactly what is measured. Learned to take along a tape measure when looking.

I agree. Itโ€™s a marketing strategy.
Everyone wants the most size but wants to tow something small or at least they think it is.
For a new RV shopper the model number is a little deceiving. IMHO.
Sure, when buying you should do your homework and we all know not to depend on a salesman.
Example. A buddy and I were looking at a large truck camper with a dry weight well into the 4000 lb range and closer to 6000 lbs wet/loaded. Salesman said he could carrying it on his 01 Ford 250 diesel. Truck has a payload around 2000 lbs.
When I called him on it, it pointed to the camper weight on the data plate showing mid 2000 range. First I had to explain that was KGs not pounds and the increase with options, fluids and personal items. A little frustrating when they should be professional and know their product.
Must do your homework.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t think the model number is the length.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
No correlation between the model number and actual length. Look at the actual specs.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board