cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finding a spot to Boondock

big_jeff1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, I'm planning to go Boondock for the first time this year and have some questions that I hope can be answered. I'm planning on taking my 28' travel trailer to find a spot in the White Mountain area here in Arizona. My concern is driving on the dirt roads.. do I need to do anything to my trailer to handle this and should I scout out an area before hand. I know some of the back roads can get rough and narrow, I'm afraid of getting stuck in the middle of nowhere. My truck can handle the terrain, a F350 CCLB 4x4.
15 REPLIES 15

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
big_jeff wrote:
My idea was somewhere along north on Rim Road 300, we where there last year and loved the scenery.

Rim Road 300 is a big area but two years ago we took the Jeep for a drive from 77/60 at Show Low west on 300 to 260 around Black Canyon Lake. That section you could definitely take a trailer and there were many boondocking spots and many staying in the area. No big bumps but as I recall... very dusty. Continuing on 300 north of there to Hwy 87 is a lot rougher so best to check it out first.

There are some gorgeous forest service campgrounds in the whole area, too and many that you can get to easily.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
One other tip -- I have measured the diameter of my turn-around circle (45 feet). So when we are scouting with the truck, looking for a boondocking site, and we come to a semi-wide place in the road, I sometimes get out my long tape measure to see if that wide spot will accommodate a full turnaround.

If necessary, I can do a three point turn with the trailer (and have done so several times), but it is not easy, especially on a really rocky forest road.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
ppine, I have had to back my trailer out uphill on bad roads a few times -- if that is no big deal to you, you are a better backer upper than I am!

So I always scout without the trailer first, unless I know from Google Earth that there is a way to turn around.
About our trailer

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can do recon trips and disconnect your trailer and look around if that makes you happy. I would encourage you to do that at first. I have been boondocking for over 50 years. After awhile you learn to avoid really rutted roads and sidehills with nowhere to turn around. The worst that can happen is that you have to back down the mountain a few miles with your trailer. Most of northern Arizona is not that steep. Try to stay on the logging roads.

big_jeff1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the good tips, appreciate them all. I will definitely look into getting that atlas for Arizona, looks like some good info. My idea was somewhere along north on Rim Road 300, we where there last year and loved the scenery.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Can you give us some road numbers you plan on checking out? Perhaps someone here has driven them. Or a particular area of the White Mountains you want to stay?

A very good road atlas we've used for the western states, including Arizona, is put out by Benchmark. It's vastly superior to the Delorme atlas. Go to an Arizona book store and you can find them for sale in the mapping area. Many public parks also have them for sale. Each atlas contains only one state so the print is large with lots of detail, especially for backroads and public parks/sites. I think you'd like it. That's how we decided on many of our boondocking excursions with our 40' motorhome. You do have to do some research first. Word of mouth from other RVers is a good resource and as always, Google is your friend.

We traveled down many, many good gravel roads and never had a problem. Only a couple times did we disconnect the Jeep to explore the road first but even then the road turned out to be a good one. With your small trailer I doubt you'd have an issue but don't try it during monsoons. ๐Ÿ™‚

There are gorgeous areas in the White Mountains. You'll find that perfect spot!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Your fear may be justified. I try to not head down a road if it's non-paved and I don't have any information. Best left to very small RVs. It's not just roughness but tight turns, etc.
Jayco-noslide

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check it out on the day of the trip. Get there early, unhook the trailer, put in your coupler lock, and then go scouting with the truck. Find your site, hook up, and head out. It's part of the fun!

Just make sure you have good headlamps in case you are still setting up your campsite after sundown. And pack some extra AAA batteries. Don't ask how I learned this.
About our trailer

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Checking the area is an absolute must prior to hauling the trailer in.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

big_jeff1
Explorer
Explorer
I also was thinking about taking a 2 day trip there and tent camp with the boys, this way I can scope out the area. Thanks all for the info.

Nunyadamn
Explorer
Explorer
34ยฐ25'37.1"N 111ยฐ23'59.8"W Don't tell anyone
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2015 Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7L Powerstroke

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
big_jeff wrote:
My concern is driving on the dirt roads.. do I need to do anything to my trailer to handle this and should I scout out an area before hand.

Depends on your trailer. Mine was very low slung originally until I put a five inch lift on it. Now I don't have to worry about the gas line or holding tanks snagging something on dirt roads or two tracks.

Be aware a typical trailer has suspension for a highway, not a dirt road or trail... So the slower the better to not toss the insides around too much.

If you're near enough to scout trails without the trailer, sounds like a good idea. It's what I do with the various fire trails on federal land around me.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
We always preflight the area in the Jeep first before taking the MH in.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I generally scout before taking an unknown dirt road with my TT unless the road is clearly mapped by the USFS etc. but my TT is shorter than yours
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad