cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keeping Front Door Open on a Diesel

want-a-be
Explorer
Explorer
With every little puff of wind the front door on our coach slams shut. Was wanting to know if any one has came up with a solution for this problem?
14 REPLIES 14

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I am curious, Whats a bunge cord? One for a bung on a Whiskey barrel?

debandi
Explorer
Explorer
I would use a gas piston similar to the ones found on many camp trailers. It keeps pressure on the door keeping it open. These pistons come in different sizes. Good luck
John Spear RMCS(SW)USN RET '88
Debra is my 'nagagator'! She tells me where to go.
Enjoying our 2006 Roadtrek Adventurs RS

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Vice grips or a simple spring clamp (get it in color to match the coach) depending on how worn the dimple is....Dennis

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Bruce_Brown
GordonThree wrote:
I'm curious, what does a diesel motor have to do with the problem?

Simple, because they use a completely different door set up than a gasser does.

Ours worked great for years then started doing the same as the OPs. In our case the bushing had worn out. I spun a new one out on my lathe and installed it. Fixed.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
I had that problem, called the door manufacturer (name on door decal) and they sent, for money, a replacement scissor mechanism for the top of the door. Short time to remove old and install new.
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious, what does a diesel motor have to do with the problem?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Explorer
Explorer
Have the wife keep tension on it
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I come up with RGโ€™s idea too....bunge cords. Might work on a gasser too.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
A pair of vice-grips squeezing those two arms at the top of the door will do the trick. You can also rough up the little dimple on those arms so it isn't as smooth but the vice grips work best.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's a 2013 Phaeton 36GH...one click away under his profile. Still no help for me as I have no idea what kind of mechanism it has for holding it open. IF it's a arm like a scissor I've had good luck bending the short portion after the pivot so the dimple on it goes into the depression on the other portion with more force. I use two large crescent wrenches...others have used a large backing hammer on the bottom of the pivot while hitting the top to tighten it.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

want-a-be
Explorer
Explorer
This is on a Tiffin motor home.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Short piece of 2x4. (Before anybody says too big, the idea is so that it is too big to miss so nobody trips over it.)

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bungee cord with hooks

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
You will need to let us know what motorhome you have for us to be of assistance.

Does it have a posi-lock?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/