cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV windshield repair

norisezp
Explorer
Explorer
I recently started to look for someone in the Denver area to, I think the term is, reset my driver's side windshield. In so doing, I have twice been sucked into a system that seems to have been set up by insurance companies, but seems to me like a scam to sell replacement windshields. In both cases, I ended up talking, on the same call, to a "claims" representative of my insurance company to get the claim filed and who wanted to know if the damage was "bigger than a dollar bill". In the first case, I was encouraged by the sales (I guess) person to say yes, which I did. Having second thoughts about this, I called my insurance company and told them to cancel the claim. In the second case, I contacted a company recommended in another forum. They ran me through the same drill. The similarity of the two, and the size question bothered me, since I originally called about replacing the gasket around my windshield, not the glass. Can anyone comment on this and indicate whether I might be getting scammed? Also, if there is a good shop in Denver that will do what I want. I would much appreciate it.

Phil Norisez
15 REPLIES 15

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Its the times we live in you must to fit into the system .
Go in an auto parts store with a tail light bulb in your hand .
They need your make of car , the year , trim level , color , your name ,
your phone no , your mothers maiden name , her zip code , your zip code .
Finally you'll find that bulb on aisle one .

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
By one definition any damage you can notice is "Bigger than a Dollar Bill" cause for a dollar you can't even get 'em to look at it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

norisezp
Explorer
Explorer
Rice: Sorry, didn't know you posted. If you still want it, it was RV Glass Specialties on N Federal about 58th.

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
norisezp, I tried to PM but you don't accept PMs. What shop did you use?

norisezp
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland: It cost less than $400. They did not replace the gasket, but just reglued the driver-side glass. Apparently, it was already a replacement and been installed with the wrong glue originally.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
Glass becomes brittle as it ages and becomes easier to break.

Do you have a citation for this? I couldn't find any reference to it happening to any measurable level, and the existence of glass objects, windows, etc. far older than any RV windshield that are not extremely fragile would seem to suggest that aging happens, at most, on something approaching a geological timescale.

Glass is of course breakable, and monkeying with a windshield or other window always carries some risk of breaking it in the process. It could conceivably also be true that differences in manufacturing processes etc. make newer windshields more resistant to breakage than older ones.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glass becomes brittle as it ages and becomes easier to break. In many cases when they try to remove and reset a windshield it cracks/breaks. They want you to know that this is a possibility, and if your insurance will not agree to pay, you will be responsible. The company I used to work for did pay for replacement minus any deductible you may have. If having a gasket replaced is actually what you are trying to do, call your insurance, explain what you are doing and ask if they will pay for the windshield if it should happen to break while the shop is attempting the removal and reset. This is not at all uncommon.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
norisezp...how much did it cost to get it reset?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
The small local shop I used has contracts with several of the big windshield companies. So for example, you call nationwide mobile rv glass, they just sub out. Small shop told me he gets a mere pittance compared when the job is done compared to what the insurance companies pay the bigger windshield companies. So, yes, I can see where they try and get you to replace the glass. Doing a reset is a gamble since many shops won't guarantee on non-breakage when removing the glass. In the long run, I think insurance companies could save money by doing resets before the glass starts flapping around and stress cracks like mine did then they had to replace the glass (both sides).

norisezp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all. I finally got the reset at a local shop. They did a good job, and didn't even break the glass doing it.

BTW, I opened this to find a shop, not to complain about insurance or online websites for glass repair. The whole insurance thing came about because the people on the phone lines ONLY wanted to talk about filing an insurance claim and did not want to give me a shop to call for the repair. I became uneasy when they the whole thing always blew up into a windshield replacement claim, no matter how carefully I explained that I just wanted a leak repair!

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Progressive recently paid for my reset with a windshield replacement though. OP, I would try calling Duncan and ask them if they can recommend an installer in your area. Call that shop then and get your estimate. I found a local installer by using a nationwide RV glass company installer locator section of their website. Dig around. Call the 1800 and tell them you want to know who their installer is before going any further. Mobile RV glass for example is not really mobile, they contract out. My local RV glass shop says he has contracts with 2 or 3 different companies.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just having the window reset with a new gasket if the window isn’t broken .. is that what I understand ? I don’t think the insurance will cover that .. they will replace the window and the gasket it it’s bad if it’s broken chipped cracked more than a certain size ( silver dollar) otherwise they will patch the glass unless it’s in front of the driver.
It sounds like you just wanted a new gasket and reset that’s not covered by insurance and they were trying to find a reason to “help you out “ and have the insurance pay .. like saying a rock hit it right? Hint hint ! I have known people who enlarge a crack just so it gets replaced ..
doesn’t make it right but it does happen ..
Otherwise it’s your dime to pull the window and if they break it ( very possible) that’s also your dime about a grand or more.
Bill

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not really seeing a "scam" so to say. Perhaps the system you are seeing is an industry standard?
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm. You're trying to get your windshield replaced? You talk to the people who replace the glass under the state laws governing the insurance companies and were advised of what the criteria was to get a windshield replaced. I don't see it as a scam any more than any other dealings with insurance companies.

The dollar bill (are you sure they didn't mean dollar coin?) thing must be the local determination of whether to repair or replace. Here in Mass, more than 2 chips in the wipered area of the driver's side warrants replacement regardless of size.

I've done my own chip repair using a UV cured resin. The kits are available at auto parts stores, but the resins are cheap and harder to use. I got some pro grade resin online.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox