cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FCA(Marchionne) says diesel is dead

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doesn't look good for those of us who like diesels. Sounds like the pollution controls are killing it. Article
2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4
74 REPLIES 74

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:
I'm wondering when one of the Big 3 US truck manufacturers might market a gas V-8 with turbo(s) in their 3/4 and 1 ton pickups. That's one gasser I would consider for towing ...

Probably because of the horrid mpg they would get.

In a recent test, the "e-beggars" aka TFL guys put an Expedition (3.5 V6 EcoBoost) up against a GM SUV with a 6.2L V8, both towing a 7000# trailer over the same route. The huge GM V8 beat the "Eco"Boost by 0.5 mpg, 9.1 for the 6.2L vs 8.5 or so for the 3.5L turbo Ford.

If a tiny 3.5L V6 (remember that's ONLY about 217 cubic inches) gets 8.5 mpg pulling 7000#, what would a gas V8 turbo get? 3 to 5 mpg?

There's a reason they are sticking to SMALL engines to throw turbos on...
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
crcr wrote:
I'm wondering when one of the Big 3 US truck manufacturers might market a gas V-8 with turbo(s) in their 3/4 and 1 ton pickups. That's one gasser I would consider for towing ...

Bingo! Iโ€™ve had the diesel bug ever since they quit being pieces of chit and actually started putting down some power.
But a twin turbo eco boost type V8 making somewhere around Hellcat numbers would get me to rethink my diesel decisions!

The small displacement EcoBoost is used because trucks are coming under increasingly strict fuel economy regulations. A big gas V8 will get lousy mileage both on the boost and not on the boost. If you want big power from a V8, just make the pistons bigger. It's cheaper than a turbo.

3/4 and 1 ton trucks are exempt from EPA mileage disclosure requirements. And anyway, re fuel economy regulations, they are NOT being made more stringent, instead they are being scrapped, linky link.

Further, I don't care if larger pistons are cheaper than turbos, my potential interest in a gasser for towing would be in a turbocharged V8. Engines with turbos are much less subject to power loss due to altitude, and generally have a torque curve more suitable for towing than naturally aspirated engines.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have spent the last two days running a diesel excavaltor in my yard. It is a small Kubota with a back hoe and a blade. It only weighs 4,000 pounds but got a ton of work done. I used 3 gallons of fuel. This is exactly how other countries get their work done.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
womps wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
crcr wrote:

And I wonder how gigantic the grille would be to cool such an engine under heavy load.

Probably as big as the new Toyota and Lexus cars and suvs!

Those things look like the factory forgot to install part of the front end.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
crcr wrote:

Bingo! Iโ€™ve had the diesel bug ever since they quit being pieces of chit and actually started putting down some power.
But a twin turbo eco boost type V8 making somewhere around Hellcat numbers would get me to rethink my diesel decisions!

The small displacement EcoBoost is used because trucks are coming under increasingly strict fuel economy regulations. A big gas V8 will get lousy mileage both on the boost and not on the boost. If you want big power from a V8, just make the pistons bigger. It's cheaper than a turbo.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
crcr wrote:

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

womps
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
crcr wrote:

And I wonder how gigantic the grille would be to cool such an engine under heavy load.

Probably as big as the new Toyota and Lexus cars and suvs!

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:

Me too.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
What's a millenium?
I am 67 and worked in the air quality business for years.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
The new ones are quieter though. I had to drive a friends 2008 Tiffin Allegro Bus the other day. It has.8.9 425 Cummins and it was considerably quieter than our 2003 Cummins ISC 350. Iโ€™m not mechanically inclined but my guess is probably a combination of exhaust system and injectors. Meh. After 15 years with my Cummins Iโ€™m used to her rumble. :). If I want quiet Iโ€™ll drive our electric cars. :).
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
I can maintain and repair my 2014 Cummins diesel truck for the most part. Even my 2014 BMW diesel. I would rather work on that than my wife' gaser. It is not that hard if you take the time to get familiar with it.

Not sure if I could say the same if it were a Duramax or Powerstroke though. I am not knocking them, I am just more familiar with Cummins engines and looking under the hood of my brother's PSD and friend's Dmax just scares the bejesus out of me with all that stuff crammed in there.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Fordlover wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Johno02 wrote:
Plus lots higher maintenance costs.

My diesel never was higher in maintenance costs than my gas trucks.

To be fair, the newest breed of Diesel is a far cry from the good old simple Diesel engine. It's incredibly difficult to go out and buy a new pre-emissions Diesel 1 ton these days in the States.

And todays gas engines aren't? :R LOL
DI engines
Turbos
Cam phasers
Multi cam engines
Multi valve engines
High pressure injectors
5 miles of cam chains
Muti fuel sensors and fuel systems

I've owned both and "my" diesel engines cost less to operate overall than my gas engines. Not a lot, but less. And they sure as hell pulled a LOT better.

For me, it's a simple question of what is available on the market today that I want to drive. I'm sure someone somewhere is driving a really sweet Model T that doesn't need much more than some spark advance and a little oil for the headlamp, but it just doesn't tickle my fancy.

I can buy a new gas V8 that I can maintain and repair. I can't say the same for a new Diesel. I think overhead cams and multiple valve heads have proved they can be very durable over the long run, (Ol' man voice on) and this new fangled fuel injection thing is working out OK too. :B
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK