cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

does it hurt a f250 gas motor to bumper pull 10,000 lbs?

georgialawn88
Explorer
Explorer
I know diesel has more torque but just a simple question for my phycological purchase. does 10,000 lb towing put strain on a gas motor enough to make it hurt it?
43 REPLIES 43

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
Skip the gas unless you can find a lower gear than the 3.73. My 16, 6.2 canโ€™t maintain 65 with any headwind over 12-15 mph in 5th towing my 25โ€™ W&P at 9,200 lbs. iI drive in 5th most times towing but a headwind is like putting on the brakes.

This is so true, the 4:30 gearset would be a good choice, headwinds blowing against a large frontal area make a huge difference.
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
He forgot to carry groceries home every other week in it.
My โ€˜55 Chevy sits in pieces in the garage for years at a time. It looks as good as it did 30 years ago, but itโ€™s always kept warm and dry. I sure wish I had room to keep my camper in there too! Given the choice, the camper loses...
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Only if it has 3.31 gears.....they tow better!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

blt2ski
4x4ord wrote:
An f150 is quite likely a good choice for someone wanting to tow a 10000 lb trailer with a gas engine. If I wanted more truck than a f150 I would buy a f350 diesel. If the diesel was out of my budget I would buy a slightly used 2017 f350 srw diesel.

Being as I have been looking at a new to me truck. A slightly used rig is costing as much or more than some new rigs right now. Granted I am looking at GM 1500's, but from skimming the 25/35 series setups, I see the same issue in higher gvwr rigs.

Usually, if one does not have the funds for a new rig, a one year old rig is usually out of the question. Need to go 5 yrs or older to start getting a significant difference between new and used.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

blt2ski
burningman wrote:
Like was mentioned, itโ€™s a tool you buy to get a job done. It might last longer if it sits in a garage and only carries groceries home every other week, but itโ€™s made for working and it can do it.

Not so sure sitting in a garage is good for too many vehicles, if they sit too long.......My dads 72 Cougar XR7 convertable sat in a garage for so long, it does not run. Rubber, gaskets etc are so shot, it needs a new motor, trans, axels gone thru. Had a cover over it, water got beneath, some things are rusted......has all of 40K miles on it. It would probably be in better shape if it had been driven more than it has been! Worth more too! Overall, it is still clean. still a lot of work to get it ready to drive and enjoy it!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you do, donโ€™t buy any truck yet!!!
Youโ€™re about to spend a whole lot of money on something you say youโ€™re completely unfamiliar with (trucks). F250s are not all alike, they can be configured differently.

Spend a bunch of time reading and asking questions here AND on Ford truck forums.

Any new 3/4 ton American truck will pull that trailer, but they can be set up better for hauling heavy depending on options.

Technically, driving the truck at all โ€œhurtsโ€ it, like mowing the lawn hurts your mower blade.
Like was mentioned, itโ€™s a tool you buy to get a job done. It might last longer if it sits in a garage and only carries groceries home every other week, but itโ€™s made for working and it can do it.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
Skip the gas unless you can find a lower gear than the 3.73. My 16, 6.2 canโ€™t maintain 65 with any headwind over 12-15 mph in 5th towing my 25โ€™ W&P at 9,200 lbs. iI drive in 5th most times towing but a headwind is like putting on the brakes.

What is wrong with going to 4th gear. It is the same as with going with a 4.30 rear axle in 5th gear.

Rear end gears will not give you more horsepower.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
No strain. It is just a machine and does not get tired.

Ditto.

It's won't "hurt" either since it has no feelings.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
An f150 is quite likely a good choice for someone wanting to tow a 10000 lb trailer with a gas engine. If I wanted more truck than a f150 I would buy a f350 diesel. If the diesel was out of my budget I would buy a slightly used 2017 f350 srw diesel.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of people donโ€™t realize that a diesel pulling along at 2800rpm is screaming!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
We get it ppine, you think a diesel is the only thing that can tow a trailer. Manufacturers give vehicles tow ratings based upon the vehicles design. Any vehicle (gas, diesel, propane, electric, whatever) is fully capable of towing/hauling right up to 100% of their rating. Don't exceed any rating you're good to go.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
ppine wrote:
A lot of the strain is expressed as heat. Transmission fail and engines blow up because of heat a lot of the time. Even with a large cooling system and a trans cooler it is possible to overheat the drive train shortening its life. This is especially true on mountain roads and small secondary roads with much steeper grades than interstates and state highways.

Correct, but reel yourself in from left field now. Let's stay on topic class! Lol

This is the heart of the topic.

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
georgialawn88 wrote:
I just meant extra strain. Like I'm not gonna blow up the motor pulling that. This will be a new 2018 f250 when purchased

That's what I have on order currently. I suggest opting for the 4.30 gearing, this required us to special order ours. I believe it bumped tow rating from 12,000 to 15,000 lbs.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK