cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheap option for towing 6 people and a large pop up

itsjustjer
Explorer
Explorer
SHORT STORY: What is a reliable used 3 row SUV that can safely tow 4500 lbs, has a payload around 1400 lbs, and can generally be found for around $3k?

LONG STORY:My wife and I have 4 young children and we want to dip our toes into the RV world. My family owned a carnival when I was growing up so I spent every summer living in a fifth wheel and every winter vacationing at Fort Wilderness in Disney. Just trying to recreate some of those experiences, but on a smaller scale.

We have a 2014 Town & Country minivan without a tow package. Looking at the sticker and the manual is says we can tow 2900 lbs and we have a payload of 1150 lbs.

Yes, we could find a pop up that is within the towing capacity (loaded of course) and right now with our combined weight we would have around 600 lbs left for gear, towing equipment, and hitch weight.

So technically our van could do the job, however I know in the next couple years we will outgrow this setup. I'll have spent money outfitting the van with a towing package we'll never use again and we'll be stuck with a smaller pop up that will be outgrown soon thereafter as well. I'm trying to be as smart as I can about this from a financial standpoint (family of six with only one income).

I'm looking to sell my 2004 Grand Am and buy a cheap 3 row SUV with a towing package. By cheap I mean like $3,000. Ideally it would have a payload around 1400 lbs and be able to tow somewhere around 4500 lbs in case we decide to get some kind of hybrid popup/TT in the future as the kids get bigger.

When doing some searching online I've come up with a few that seem to meet the criteria. I know every vehicle is different, but of the ones I list below (or others you might add in the comments) which generally tend to be most reliable? Is a newer "less reliable" SUV with lower miles better or worse than an older "more reliable" SUV with higher miles? Any insight would be appreciated! I'm getting a bit overwhelmed at this point!

2004 (4.7L) Dodge Durango with approx 130k miles.
2005 (5.7L HEMI) Dodge Durango with approx 170k miles.
2002 Chevy Tahoe with approx 200k miles.
2002 Chevy Suburban 1500 with approx 220k miles.
31 REPLIES 31

MegaCab_PL
Explorer
Explorer
My 06 Ford Explorer with v8 and tow package has a payload of 1200, rated to tow 7100 and seats 7 comfortably.

Of course if you load it with 1200 people and cargo, you drop your trailer weight limit to about 5-6k which I still would not do. But 4500 is doable.
02-05 used weak 5R55 tranny with 4.6 v8
06-10 use 6R transmissions, much stronger.

Mine has 262 k miles still on original tranny

blt2ski
Another to think about......as a father of 4 myself. As they get bigger, IE adult sized teens, that 1200 or so lbs of payload is taken up by the 6 people on board! You will find you need to be one or two chassis sizes heavier than most, to accommodate the my case 1200-1300 lbs of people, 700 lbs of hitch weight, a few bikes, rack/canoe, generator, not to mention 2 BIG Alaskan Malamutes at 150-175 lbs per including crates etc.
With this said, locally for me, there are a number of2500 series 12 passenger GM vans, 3-5 yrs old with 30-50,000 miles for $15,000. More than your budget, but half the cost or better of an equal SUV!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

blt2ski
A 96 or later Astro/Safari van with 3.73 gears, and vortex 4.3 would work. You can get them with AWD too. 3500 w/o hi kcal be a better max that is as small a frontal area as you can.
The combo I stated was in a 2000 I had. I also had an 89 with the tho 4.3, and drove iirc an 87 2bbl 4.3 astro also. The vortex has balls compared to the other two. A family of 6 works in them. Better to get my son's into back seat, daughters in middle etc.
A full size with a vortec 350 would be next choice. There are some 15 series vans with awd too. Do not remember all of the drive train options.
Not a real fan of SUV's, family had a International Travelall growing up. Suburban equal. It worked. Not as comfy IMHO as a van for a family of 6+.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

itsjustjer
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to post a response! I really appreciate all the insights. I've been searching all the usual places and have found a few things that seem like decent deals. I've got a few weeks before we'll use it so I'm going to be a little picky. I mean as picky as someone with my budget and requirements can be anyway 🙂

When I started this search I was looking specifically at Durangos and Tahoes. I found Durangos generally seem to be cheaper than Tahoes when you compare their model year and mileage. That's kind of what had me questioning if Durango is a bad choice or a good deal.

It would be awesome to find something 4wd since our minivan doesn't have it. We could use this SUV/Van as the family vehicle in the winter when the weather is bad.

itsjustjer
Explorer
Explorer
parker.rowe wrote:
To find something at that price point it will take some searching, but they are out there...

That write up was incredible and exactly the kind of information I was looking for! I really appreciate it!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
anw7405 wrote:
My vote is for a 2000-2006 full size GM suv. I have tried going away from them a few times and just keep coming back. IMO they are the most reliable, cheap, functional and easy to work on. Go for the bigger ones if you can (suburban yukon xl) for obvious reasons. As others said, don't be afraid of 200k on the clock and the seats will be ripped for sure in the drivers seat.

Again, this is what I'd hope to find. I ran a few of these trucks to pretty high miles and relatively few problems. No engines or transmissions in 200k or close to it on 3 different trucks. And they didn't feel like they were on their last legs either.
Or GM van of the same era. TBI or Vortec 350s are super reliable.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Forget Astro/Safari. It may be rated to tow 5000lbs but it's a weak 5000. Gutless little 4.3 and weak factory 700R4 transmissions... You would not be happy.

I know your brother-in-law does car repairs but will he come rescue you 200 miles from home?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

anw7405
Explorer
Explorer
My vote is for a 2000-2006 full size GM suv. I have tried going away from them a few times and just keep coming back. IMO they are the most reliable, cheap, functional and easy to work on. Go for the bigger ones if you can (suburban yukon xl) for obvious reasons. As others said, don't be afraid of 200k on the clock and the seats will be ripped for sure in the drivers seat.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chevy Astro/GMC Safari had about 5,000 ish lbs tow ratings and about the payload you are looking for. Can be found cheap with life in them.

I’m telling ya, for the money it’s hard to beat a Van.

The ford Vans front suspension can be wonky but the GM Full size vans are great.

90 Subs are affordable right now, heck you can probably get a 454 2500 series for that money if you shop wisely.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
I vote van, no one wants one because they are not “cool”. But you can’t beat them for function.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Another vote for a full size van. Probably get about the same MPG as a big SUV but with more interior space for the kids to spread out.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
My response would be exactly what Parker.rowe said above. And all apples to apples, I'd be looking for the exact vehicle he has in his sig. GMT400s are a great platform and drivetrain.
As mentioned, keep your eyes peeled for the "deal" like an ugly grandpa conversion van that has a big V8 and low miles cuz gramps never drove it. Or as mentioned, a 2wd SUV.
Some folks that camped next to us a couple years ago had just the van. They found the stereotypical early 90s Chevy conversion Van at an estate sale or something. Remember he said they didn't pay squat for it. Couple grand iirc and it literally was like new.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
IdaD wrote:
A creeper van might do the trick. Just don't grow a mustache or go near any schools if you're going to drive it around alone.

Lol! Awesome!

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
I had a full size 97 dodge conv van with the 5.9 and 3.90 gear. Bought it in 04 for $2300! Don’t know why they sold it so cheap, bu I used it to tow my 6500lb 28ft trailer for a few years. Even took it on a 3500 mile trip to Glacier NP. Best vehicle I’ve had. Wish I could find another. Actually ide love to find a newer E250/350 conv van with the V-10!

Like this one, a hidden gem for towing with a family. This one is the standard length, 5.9L magnum V8, 3.92 gear, upgraded interior, not an aftermarket conversion. A touch above your budget, but who knows?

2000 Dodge Ram Wagon

Here's the factory build sheet for us gearhead nerds:
Build sheet for 2000 Ram Wagon
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler