cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tiffin Allegro Red 33AA vs. Winnebago Forza 34T

chompchomp
Explorer
Explorer
The Kwikee leveling system on our 2007 Itasca Sunova 35J has become junk, and you can't buy parts because they went under. Our options seem to be to either limp the MH down to South Florida and have Bigfoot install a new system for $4,000 to $5,000 or trade her in. I'm ready to move to diesel, but don't want to go big because we like staying in the national parks, whose sites max out at 35' rigs. After some research, I think it comes down to the Allegro Red 33AA vs. the Forza 34T.

They seem to be very comparable in many of the specs, but the Tiffin is rated at 10,000 towing capacity to the Winne's 5,000, which is quite a discrepancy. We love our Itasca's rock-solid construction/ride and the Forza shares that; I also really like the placement of the entry door on the Forza behind the passenger door as opposed to in front of it.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated!
2008 Itasca Sunova 35J Motorhome
2003 Jeep Wrangler X Toad
1996 Key West 19CC Sportsman, 115 Yamaha
19 REPLIES 19

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Wanderlost, finding the perfect RV for YOU is of the utmost importance. Looks like you have found your dream-machine!

Congrats and enjoy many many years of travel!

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
We just looked at a Tiffin and the Forza next to it. While I was very impressed with the Tiffin's construction quality, the floorplan suffered from the very thing we hate most: cranking one's head to the side to watch TV.
The Forza 34T has a TV and fireplace directly across from the sofa and dinette.

All the seating being on one side has never bothered us, as it's just the two of us and a cat. Anyway, wouldn't feel any different than the family all sitting side by side at the kitchen island, so it's just not a thing for us.

We wound up choosing the Forza because it has 99% of what we wanted, versus only about 75% on that model Tiffin. If they'd been equal in meeting our requirements, there would have been some real competition at decision time.

Just based on our experience of two days ago, I'd say choose the Tiffin or Winnebago that meets most of your requirements and you'll be happy.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
luvlabs wrote:
The Tiffin will have more interior storage than either the Winnebago or the Newmar coaches.

Placing the entry door behind the front seat is not really a good design as it removes about 5-6 feet of living space in the front of the coach.

The Tiffin is rated at 10,000 lb towing as Tiffin uses the Allison 3000 transmission which is the same as the big boys in their product line.

Mr. Mark, did you forget where Winnebago is located? Certainly not Indiana.

Uh Oh, you are right, it's in Iowa. :S Still further than Red Bay I guess. 😛

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 Newmar Ventana LE 3724 (38'ft'er). No problems, very solid, strong engine, with no problems to date. I'd buy another before anything else. Tiffin might be a good 2nd choice in my opinion.
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif

luvlabs
Explorer
Explorer
The Tiffin will have more interior storage than either the Winnebago or the Newmar coaches.

Placing the entry door behind the front seat is not really a good design as it removes about 5-6 feet of living space in the front of the coach.

The Tiffin is rated at 10,000 lb towing as Tiffin uses the Allison 3000 transmission which is the same as the big boys in their product line.

Mr. Mark, did you forget where Winnebago is located? Certainly not Indiana.
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (sold)
2012 Tiffin Allegro 32CA (traded)
2012 Honda Fit

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
Ironically, although the TIffin has a longer wheelbase, its length is also longer. Our Ventana LE wheelbase is 49% of the overall length. The Tiffin RED 33AA wheelbase is actually a little less than 47% of the total length. What is important in wind handling is the ratio of the wheelbase to the total length.

Having said that, I realy doubt there would be a measureable difference between the two in wind handling. The only way to really know is to test one of each in a stiff cross wind.

Ed Headington

tenn_vol_
Explorer
Explorer
Tiffin, with the longest wheel base you can live with.IMO..tenn.

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
I can only speak of the handling for the Ventana LE. Naturally it is not quite as stable as our 41' previous motorhome, but it still handles very well in the wind. In severe cross winds out west, we have never had a problem with the handling of the coach.

Ed Headington

CVD
Explorer
Explorer
One down side to shorter (less than 36 ft) DP’s are the relatively short wheelbases. Both those units have wheelbase/total length ratios of less than 50%. Will not be as stable as the 37 – 38 footers that generally are in the 53% range, or 40 footers with 55 - 56% ratios. I’d wait for a windy day and do a freeway speed test drive before committing to either unit.

A couple of the prior posters in this thread have the units you are considering; would like to hear how they feel about high speed stability in wind.
Cliff

1999 Itasca 34V DP
2000 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Honda CRV

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
We are driving the 34' model, and have been very happy with it. No significant problems in 4 years and 35,000 miles. Had a very short list of problems when we purchased it also.

Ed Headington

chompchomp
Explorer
Explorer
Ed, I've been looking at that option seriously in the past few days. Have you had any issues with your coach and are you driving a bigger coach or the 34' Ventana model?

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
Another highly competitive unit in the size you are looking for would be the Newmar Ventana LE motorhome. They also have a 34' model. We have one and love it. I believe ours has more slides than either the 34' Forza or the Allegro RED.

Ed Headington
'

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd go with the size of coach you want (if you trade in) and then plug in to where to go. The internet is definitely your friend to learn where you can fit.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

chompchomp
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. I haven't posted on this forum in quite awhile and therefore forgot how valuable it can be as a resource. Thank you so much for the wise and thoughtful input you guys!