cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need advice, in a lot of trouble

nehuge
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, my last posting was about my fridge but now I'm on to something much worse.

We are at a resort where its all white concrete that you park on. The owners are very specific about getting stains on the concrete, as this is a new park.

I had a mobile mechanic, rated pretty well online to come out and do a transmission flush. I had no leaks, gasket and pan were as dry as a bone, and when I get home........OH NO.

I guess my wife (since she was home in the vehicle and I had gone to work) had said that during the refilling after the pan was off, they found it to be leaking. So they put in another gasket and did it again. Checked it, then left. I get home and I have a humongous puddle of transmission fluid under the vehicle. It is everywhere.

Now mind you, I had put down humongous tarps that are as wide as the vehicle, and take up about 1/4 of its length each under there, thinking it's just an added measure, it'll catch some single drips if there are any.

Here's the clincher. The mechanic indicated that "these pans as they go off and on during maintenance over the years can get 'sprung' or bent. It'll need a new pan. We put on two different new gaskets and if its still doing it, it needs a new pan. Do you want to pick one up or shall I?"

So here's the question. The thing was fine until they touched it. Now he's telling me I should buy the pan and not HIM? He said if I don't buy the pan, he won't do the job.

I haven't experienced anything like this before, so not that I"m asking legal advice but more of the opinion of does he pay for it or me? I mean it was find before they touched it. Isn't it on them???
35 REPLIES 35

RubyRV
Explorer
Explorer
THIS...
"Hopefully you have learned to never have this kind of non-critical work done in a campground again!"

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
The suspense is killing me. How did you make out?
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
I have to agree with Wildman. Let him change the gasket again and see if it still leaks. None of us have seen the oil pan nor the size of the leak. I agree that he probably over torqued the bolts and didn't follow the correct sequence. However they may have been over torqued and bent the pan from a previous removal for all we know. I suggest using an OEM gasket and if it still leaks take it to a dealership.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Let the original guy install the correct gasket, if it still leaks, go from there. Towing should be a last resort. I have had cars brought to me with the transmission soo overheated, that when I loosened the valve body, I could stick my fingers in one corner while there were still bolts in the far corner. This trans was not leaking at the pan, granted, it was toast, but it was not leaking at the pan. I'm sure this will be resolved to your satisfaction.
Wildmanbaker

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
K Charles wrote:
The pan didn't get bent while it was bolted in place, it got bent when he prayed it off. If not bent too bad it can be straightened, and if bent to badly I wonder what else he did wrong.

I agree something is wrong. They go on with torque specs too to not bend at the bolts.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

nehuge
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. Im evaluating how to have him adjust invoice if I take it somewhere else.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Purple Power

I spilled a bunch of transmission fluid on the concrete next to my house after I did a transmission fluid change on my motorhome. I sprayed it with Purple Power and let it soak for an hour and then hosed off.

Had to do that several times over a period of a few days but now you can't tell where I spilled it.

I also have a car that leaks a bit of engine oil on the driveway and I use Purple Power on it too.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
You can over torque transmission pan bolts with a 1/4" ratchet!
Over torquing is a common rookie mistake.
Hope he isn't charging you for the extra gaskets and fluid. ??

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are two kinds of gaskets that I have seen when changing my trans fluid. The OEM gasket which had small steel bushings around each pan hole and two silicone beads along the flange, and the replacement gasket which is just a sht of rubber about .050 thick with holes punched in for the pan bolts. The first two times I changed fluid I reused the OEM gasket and had no leaks. When I replaced my fluid the third time I used the rubber gasket that was in the kit and it leaked even though I followed the torque specs. The OEM gasket was hard that is why I used the new gasket. What I finally realized the steel bushings in the OEM gasket prevented the pan from deforming when tightening the pan bolts. After trying to retorque the pan bolts and still seeing leaks I put the original gasket back in and all was well again. I would check to see which kind of gasket you have, that may be your problem. I would not buy a new pan Just see if it is dimpled around the pan holes and straighten the dimples out assuming it is just a stamped steel pan and not a casting.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I can't grasp what kind of mechanic leaves when the pan is still leaking.

Just imagine if you were headed out for a long day driving just to burn up the transmission for low fluid or even have a fire if the fluid blows back onto something hot.

I've seen more than a few transmission pans leak ATF (massively) after installing a new gasket and a few heat/cool cycles. I don't know if the OP stated what make/model transmission he is talking about. IMO, USE AN OEM GASKET AND TORQUE IT TO THE FACTORY SPECS USING THE FACTORY RECOMMENDED TORQUE SEQUENCE. If the pan and the case are straight, they won't leak. Do not use aftermarket gaskets or non-recommended sealants. Especially if they are different material/thickness from the factory material. Think about it. The factory gets it right several thousand times a day but still not 100%. (much better % than others) They must know something others don't.

Chum lee

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully you have learned to never have this kind of non-critical work done in a campground again!
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't grasp what kind of mechanic leaves when the pan is still leaking.

Just imagine if you were headed out for a long day driving just to burn up the transmission for low fluid or even have a fire if the fluid blows back onto something hot.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
don,t let this guy screw it up again, get it towed to a shop .you,ve gotten a lot of good advice now use it.

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
pull the pan off again, and place the pan face on a piece of plate glass and see if its out of shape, using a feeler guage between the glass and the pan to check for gaps, and see how badly it is warped or bent. Cork gaskets i find tend to squish out over time , black rubber seems to work best, and i use Weather strip adhesive (contact cement) between the pan and the gasket, stops the gasket from moving around while you are working on it, and down the road, do not glue the gasket to the transmission..