cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow brake

kearlms
Explorer
Explorer
I am hoping to get some guidance on troubleshooting the brake controller and wiring on my truck for the brakes on my trailer. I know the brakes work on the trailer because I have two towing rigs and they work with the one vehicle.and not the other.

So question is what are the steps I can take to check the controller and wires on my truck to figure out what is wrong?

When I plug either of my travel trailers into my truck no brakes and the brake controller does not light up. It worked fine at the end of last year's season, but now nothing.

Help please??
5 REPLIES 5

kearlms
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the helpful info. Figured it out. The wire from my brake controller to my plug on the back of the truck has a brake in it. Replace that wire and it works.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Chris...He said the trailer brakes work with his other truck. You are right, more info is needed, what truck, what controller? I also suspect corrosion, broken wire, fuse, since it worked fine at seasons end.

Jerry

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
kearlms wrote:
I am hoping to get some guidance on troubleshooting the brake controller and wiring on my truck for the brakes on my trailer. I know the brakes work on the trailer because I have two towing rigs and they work with the one vehicle.and not the other.

So question is what are the steps I can take to check the controller and wires on my truck to figure out what is wrong?

When I plug either of my travel trailers into my truck no brakes and the brake controller does not light up. It worked fine at the end of last year's season, but now nothing.

Help please??

Might help of you provided info on the controller make and model, and info about the truck and trailer.

Your profile shows this:
1996 Chevy C3500 7.4L/454
1998 Kit Roadranger 23ST

I would start by spraying the truck and trailer plugs with contact cleaner and plugging them in and out while still wet with the cleaner. Given the age, corroded contacts are highly likely. Do the running lights, brake lights and turn signals work? Have someone watch the controller display while done this to see if it tries to light up. Also try to find another trailer to plug into the truck and/or another truck to plug into the trailer.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep in mind that if it is the controller calling the manufacturing for help will probably result in a free replacement. They all seem to have lifetime warranties no receipt or questions asked.
Puma 30RKSS

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Have you checked the brake wire at the connector, to see that it did not come loose/broken, or is corroded from water/salt? Do the other systems work turn signals, tail lights? Is there an inline fuse that may be blown? Do you have power to the controller?

Jerry