cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which one grand design M-class or DRV full house

DawGry
Explorer
Explorer
Have a Raptor Velocity Toy hauler Looking to replace with something new Asking for information on the differences and benefits of two different haulers Looking at Grand design M-class 394M versus a DRV luxury suites LX450 full house
Who is the better bang for the buck Quality and user friendly functioning Trying to keep price out of the equation for now Your feedback and advice will be greatly appreciated
10 REPLIES 10

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Just seen a 2017 DRV LX450 toy hauler on ebay for sale, that's the model with NO 1/2 bath.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

crazybanshee
Explorer
Explorer
This is ours
2007 Volvo VNL780
2017 Momentum 397th
2 Honda 400EX's
3 Yamaha Banshees
Honda 250EX
15 Polaris 900 S VOODOO Blue
15 Polaris 900 S Titanium Matte Metal
17 Polaris S 1000 Stealth Black
Polaris Outlaw 110

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
That said, my big issue with the Full House was that there wasn't one with a 1/2 bath setup.

That was a requirement for us and one that made me start exploring how hard it would be to build a 1/2 bath in the garage myself.

LX455 has 1/2 bath, that's why we like that model. A person should be able to get LX455 pretty well loaded for $125K plus tax, at least that were we were. DRV has also gone somewhat wireless.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
2018 Raptor 428SP

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Well I know the DRV full house LX455 is what we will be getting in a few years...no comparison to any other hauler out there in my opinion!! As others have mentioned, 2 completely different classes of haulers! DRV would be my choice even for the big price tag.
2018 Raptor 428SP

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
That said, my big issue with the Full House was that there wasn't one with a 1/2 bath setup.

That was a requirement for us and one that made me start exploring how hard it would be to build a 1/2 bath in the garage myself.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be looking at the frame underneath of them. If I understand DRV units, they're built on a box frame whereas Grand Design is likely built on an I-Beam frame.

My guess is the DRV is going to be better built. Hopefully they rely less on Lippert products.

My big issue with Grand Design was it's over use on Lippert ****. In some of the living areas, they don't have hard switches for lights and instead you use a tablet on the wall (or app on your phone). There weren't hard switches for slides and water heater and whatnot. I'm all for technology, but Lippert's quality is questionable and relying on it for "critical" things is scary.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

crazybanshee
Explorer
Explorer
We love our Grand Design A step above the rest This is our forth brand of toy haulers and the best one yet
2007 Volvo VNL780
2017 Momentum 397th
2 Honda 400EX's
3 Yamaha Banshees
Honda 250EX
15 Polaris 900 S VOODOO Blue
15 Polaris 900 S Titanium Matte Metal
17 Polaris S 1000 Stealth Black
Polaris Outlaw 110

DawGry
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Second Chance and Y-Guy
Not trying to overlook the price factor. I know that will probably be the deciding issue. I wanted to have objective opinions on the quality and features of both brands
Again Thanks for your information/opinion

Y-Guy
Between the two if I could afford the DRV I'd buy it in a heart beat. Grand Design makes a great unit, but as Second Chance said, the DRV is in a different class. But you pay for it. So money has to be a factor, if the DRV is to much then I think the GD is a great unit.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know how you can "keep price out of the equation" when comparing two such different units as these. Grand Design is a good value for the money and has great customer service; DRV is in a different class. Compare specs on on chassis, walls, roofs, etc., and you'll see the differences. All of GD's suspension systems are solid axle/leaf spring with drum brakes. Many DRVs come from the factory with the MOR/ryde independent suspension and disc brakes. Grand Design also uses a lot of plastic-covered MDF in the cabinetry whereas DRV uses a lot more real wood. You'll likely find at least a 2X price difference between the two, too.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015