Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Picked up my Aspen Trail 1700BH yesterday

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
I've popped up for 13 years. Just picked up our new Aspen Trail 1700BH

It is like the smallest bunkhouse with an RV Queen sideways up front. It is pretty no frills. There is a Coleman 16FQ and a Kodiak 175 versions with the Coleman being identical except for badging and the Kodiak being fiberglass outside and more bells and whistles with a higher price. I lifted it and will look at 15 inch tires next year. I have a Fastway E2 6,000 lb hitch. There are lots of versions of this (Jayco 174) but the difference is that the Dutchmen version is 8 feet wide vs the 7 feet on the others. Makes a lot of difference inside.

So, I only towed it home about 8 miles on the highway and it towed like a dream but I do have a Ram 1500 Outdoorsman (rated at 10,500/1650 capacity/3.92 LSD rear end E rated tires) so I'm not surprised. But boy, the wind resistance is something else compared to the pop up. I actually used to get some of my best gas mileage (18-19) with the pop up. I don't know why, but the top was perfectly even with the top of my bed and I think it created a favorable wind thing (technical description). Not so much with the TT I can already tell.

We have been looking for years and for some reason they just kept getting longer, slide outs? and more expensive in her eyes. I finally said, stop the madness. We use it as a rolling motel room mostly and this has all our basic needs (hers toilet and shower) and mine, short and light. We live in MT and like Nat Forest areas where the roads are not always the best and thus the lift. These units sit VERY low on the lot. So, I'm hoping for at least another five years until retirement. Then we will see... See you on the road.
6 REPLIES 6

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Got it. We love Alberta. Peter Lougheed is unbelievable. If Americans only knew that Glacier National Park is just the beginning of that amazing topography. It actually gets better the farther north you go. We avoid Banff due to the people but Peter Lougheed is like a hidden gem. Oops, I shouldn't have said anything. But it is amazing.

So, Americans do NOT go up there. They have weird birds on their money. They have grizzly bears out the wazoo (technical term and I'm not kidding) and the roads are horrible and the people are mean and nasty and you can't figure out how fast you are going but when you do you will find out that 54 mph is the norm for most everywhere so you can't get anywhere fast and... well, you get the picture...don't go up there. I'll do it for you.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Kavoom wrote:
We live in MT and like Nat Forest areas where the roads are not always the best and thus the lift.

SoundGuy wrote:
Curious - why then does your profile say Kansas? :h

Kavoom wrote:
And now days, I figure the less accurate info there is about you out there probably doesn't harm you in this day and age.

"Darkside of The Moon" would work well. :W

Get it? ... Darkside? :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Kavoom wrote:
We live in MT and like Nat Forest areas where the roads are not always the best and thus the lift.

I used to live there when I first signed up a very very long time ago. I just haven't changed anything, pretty much ever. Spent my whole life wanting to get to the mountains, finally did. And now days, I figure the less accurate info there is about you out there probably doesn't harm you in this day and age. So, if someone is collecting info on me, good luck trying to figure me out...

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Pretty similar to your other thread

In 2016 I bought a similar small TT, a Viking 17BH. I lifted it as well and put 15 tires on it.

I'd still have it, but I bought other toys which I thought I'd enjoy and use more than a second RV. That turned out to not be the case, and I sold that toy (Polaris RZR) in January of this year.

I'd recommend going to larger tires and wheels.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Kavoom wrote:

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Kavoom wrote:
But boy, the wind resistance is something else compared to the pop up. I actually used to get some of my best gas mileage (18-19) with the pop up. I don't know why, but the top was perfectly even with the top of my bed and I think it created a favorable wind thing (technical description). Not so much with the TT I can already tell.

Oh you'll know alright that you're now towing a full height trailer as you watch that gas gauge drop before your very eyes! And every time you pull up to the pumps you'll be reminded. :E

Congrats & welcome to The Darkside. :B