cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Garage with door to living area

Crh1972
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to toy haulers and looking for some information. I am wanting to buy a toy hauler that has a door from the kitchen area to the garage. Wife doesnt want to smell gas fumes. How do I search for this feature? I am not sure which models offer this. Can anyone tell me the models or how to fi d this when searching?
22 REPLIES 22

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Your wife has a legitimate concern. She may not be distinguishing between, gas, oil, rubber smells but I haven't come across a garage used to store power equipment that doesn't have some level of petroleum based sell.

Generally smaller rigs below 25' have the furniture fold up against the walls and you store the toys in the main living area. Above 35', there is generally a separate walled off garage. In between, it depends on the model. You may find the stray model that deviates but they will be rare.

Of course if you are messy spilling gas and oil, I wouldn't count on the wall containing all the odor.

Have YOU owned a toy hauler? From the sound of your comments I'd say NO.

I'd have to say, as I've had both, open floor plan and garage floor plan. With the separate garage it makes it much easier to keep things including any odors, contained in the garage area. In lots of cases depending on what your hauling, an open design will limit your living area unless you unload your toys which usually get stretched into more and more of your living space. So to help keep Momma happy, stay with the garage design. I would never go back to the open floorplan again after having the separate garage!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
When your looking at toy haulers, the ones pictured with 2 entry doors are usually ones with separate garages as a quick reference. No, you don't have to have 35ft hauler to get one a separate garage.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

ijon1
Explorer
Explorer
Can Am Spyder and no smell.

dedmiston
We just bought a new Can Am Maverick x3 SxS and it's very different from our four dirt bikes.

With the SxS in the garage, it smells like a tire shop in there. But by the time I unload and set up the room with the carpet, the garage room smells normal again.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
I had to do a quick carb rebuild inside ours at the race this weekend, spilt a decent amount of gas but still no smell inside as long as the door was shut. Mine, and most have a ceiling vent as well as side vents.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hot bikes do smell and I think there is a little gas venting going on there. Typically I don't put a hot bike in the Toy Hauler but even just driving it in and shutting it off you will get some exhaust smell.

Personally I prefer a separate garage, kinda like a man cave... You can actually go as low as 25' Toy Hauler with a separate garage. Where they start getting longer is if you want a front walk around bed and a separate garage then your probably looking at 30'+.

If I was searching I would first pick a price.

Decide on Bumper Pull TT or Fifth Wheel. The size of your truck will come into play here. Then include separate garage in your search.
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

Kober
Explorer
Explorer
A garage door in your toyhauler makes sense for many of the same reasons a garage door makes sense in your house. Smell is only one of those reasons.
2014 Coachmen Freelander 29qb, towing a trailer with my toys:
2020 Honda Talon SXS, or
2006 Royal Star Tour Deluxe
2008 Road Star 1100
PATRIOT GUARD RIDER, AMERICAN LEGION RIDER
Retired 25 years US ARMY, retired 24 years business owner

jodiesel2
Explorer
Explorer
I had a situation once where we pushed a buddies broken quad into my toy hauler. His son was in the trailer 'playing' and turned the gas on. The float was stuck, as the quad had tumbled. This allowed gas to leak out the vent. About a gallon had leaked on the floor before it was noticed. I tried cleaning it up, but the trailer smelled like gas for a couple of years.

I recently bought a new toy hauler and checked out a lot of units. I was specifically looking for a closed off garage. However, I needed 12' of length to haul all four of our atvs. One thing to look for is that several of the trailers with garages had short doors between the garage and kitchen. It think it was a Jayco where I'd hit my head. Kind of stupid.

There was one trailer that had a 2nd bathroom in the garage. This is great for having the kids to stay out of your bathroom....
2019 Eclipse Attitude 28IBG

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going against the grain here, probably because I have a really sensitive sense of smell, but the garage area of our hauler smells after the RZR has been in it. It doesn't linger after the RZR is out, but it does smell. It's not really gas really, but just... equipment smell. I also don't like staring at the RZR when I'm in the living area of the hauler. Also, it's easier to contain a mess in the separate garage... whether that's from the toys, or our dogs, or us. So, being a wife myself, I'm with OP's wife.

That being said, as others have mentioned, every manufacturer has haulers with and without separate garages. Maybe a good option would be to narrow down manufacturers and then go from there. I also agree that to get a separate garage you'll have to go longer than if you are cool with an open garage. Our previous TT was about 32' and had a 10' garage (It was a Keystone Raptor 27FS, now sold as a Carbon 27). Our current 5er is 38' with a 12'6" separate garage.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Your wife has a legitimate concern. She may not be distinguishing between, gas, oil, rubber smells but I haven't come across a garage used to store power equipment that doesn't have some level of petroleum based sell.

Generally smaller rigs below 25' have the furniture fold up against the walls and you store the toys in the main living area. Above 35', there is generally a separate walled off garage. In between, it depends on the model. You may find the stray model that deviates but they will be rare.

Of course if you are messy spilling gas and oil, I wouldn't count on the wall containing all the odor.

Have YOU owned a toy hauler? From the sound of your comments I'd say NO.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.trailerlife.com/rv-gear/rvs/garage-brands/

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ugeesta
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™ve owned an open toy hauler concept over the last 13years and we never smelled gas from our atvโ€™s. The issue is more the dirt the quads track in after a good days ride. Once the mud dries, the dirt goes everywhere.

We are upgrading to a garage as we are tired of all the dirt in the living quarters and also getting our first slide. We feel like we are movinโ€™ on up to the East side..... ๐Ÿ˜‰
2018 GMC Seirra 3500 Denali SRW
2018 Jayco Talon 313t
2019 Polaris XP1000 Trail and Rocks edition
2016 Yamaha Grizzly EPS
1 wife & 5 cats

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
The only time I've been bothered by gas smells was when I put a generator in the basement that I'd spilled gas on earlier. Spilled/dried gas will smell, but not properly stored gas.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman