cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

THROW NYLABONES IN THE GARBAGE

tenspeedret360
Explorer
Explorer
Was reading another thread, and the person was saying they bought a nylabone for their dog, and it was shredding from the dog chewing it. I personally know a family was devastated from the passing of their dog, as a direct result of the fibers from the nyla (as in nylon) bone shredding, and wreaking havoc with the dogs throat, and tearing up his stomache. Don't buy this stuff, its garbage!
Kevin
FMCA #F383349
2006 Monaco LaPalma
2015 Hyundai Elantra
9 REPLIES 9

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
A nice beef neck bone of suitable size makes for a very happy and occupied pup for quite a long time. Make sure to size the bone to dog...bigger is better and aggressive chewers you need to watch.

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Ralph Cramden wrote:
I think nylabones are a Russian or Chinese attempt at undermining the economy of the US...

Yes, they ARE a bit pricey for a chunk of plastic. :p:)

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think nylabones are a Russian or Chinese attempt at undermining the economy of the US. Our dog will tell you otherwise, but she is more partial to real bones amd smoked pigs ears from the local meat market.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Labman7 wrote:
Sold in just about every pet store and many vets. Been around for years. Hard to believe they would still be available if they are dangerous. We have been using their products for years with many dogs, never any problems. Just my view.

Ditto

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

Flan
Explorer
Explorer
I was picking up dog poo in the yard after the snow melted. A lot of it was out for a couple months and had rendered down a bit from its original shape. I noticed a bunch of white chips and looked closer and recognized them as the white Nyla bone leftovers that my dog had digested. Who knows how many arenโ€™t going to pass, needless to say when I went back inside they went into the garbage.
Heartland Prowler 27LX
19 Ram CTD 2500

dturm
I have used and have recommended nylabones since they first came out.

Every product, toy, food, marrow pipe bones, etc. can have dire consequences if used inappropriately, used in the "wrong" individual or not supervised.

Nylabones are made to have small pieces shred off during chewing. Some dogs aggressively chew and can break off large pieces that can potentially cause a problem. When the nylabone gets to a small enough piece some dogs try to swallow too large a piece of what's left.

In 40 years of practice I have not seen one case of Nylabones causing any problem other than bleeding gums or a cracked tooth due to too much chewing.

I guess my advice would be to watch your dog, supervise ANY chew object - bones, toys, treats, food until you are sure that their behavior with them will not lead to potential problems.

Nylabones in and of themselves are not the issue and blanket statements and warnings are a little misleading.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Labman7
Explorer
Explorer
Sold in just about every pet store and many vets. Been around for years. Hard to believe they would still be available if they are dangerous. We have been using their products for years with many dogs, never any problems. Just my view.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have seen warning about the Nyla bones also. Never used them.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Have used marrow pipe bones for years. Dogs love them, cheap and as a side benefit after boiling them for a while the dog gets a lot of broth on his food.