cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dog Food in Canada

HHfundays
Explorer
Explorer
Traveling to Canada this summer with our dog. Are there any restrictions on carrying dog food across the border either way?
Happy Trails...
7 REPLIES 7

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Pay attention to Tripalot.

Really, the regulations are the same in both countries. Much depends upon what else is going on as to whether they give pet food a priority.

AND it depends upon whether bird flu is in either country. Much pet food contains poultry. When that happens I try to time things so I'm almost out of pet food on the day when I cross the border.

I changed my pet food to a brand I can get in either country.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
No issues with dry dog food as long as itโ€™s in the original bag/container. Only issues might be if you had wet food with raw meats.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
We always found that US Customs were much stricter about pet food than Canada Border inspectors. At the end of every US trip, we would buy enough extra pet food ready to start our next trip from Canada into USA. We always made sure the packing stated made in USA and never had any trouble. As a general rule, goat, mutton and lamb are prohibited. Problem is packing might say contains liver and inspectors don't know where it came from.

We once had all our cat food confiscated, including what was in his dish. Aside from the cost, was the nuisance of having to stop and find a store that sold his usual brand. That's when we started buying US made food ready for next US trip.

In your case, coming into Canada likely won't be a problem. Going home, might be a different story depending on the inspector you get.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
We always found that US Customs were much stricter about pet food than Canada Border inspectors. At the end of every US trip, we would buy enough extra pet food ready to start our next trip from Canada into USA. We always made sure the packing stated made in USA and never had any trouble. As a general rule, goat, mutton and lamb are prohibited. Problem is packing might say contains liver and inspectors don't know where it came from.

We once had all our cat food confiscated, including what was in his dish. Aside from the cost, was the nuisance of having to stop and find a store that sold his usual brand. That's when we started buying US made food ready for next US trip.

In your case, coming into Canada likely won't be a problem. Going home, might be a different story depending on the inspector you get.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were once asked by US customs if the dog food contained of all things goat! As long as it is in the original packaging they don't seem to worry about it. Worse case scenario would be having to disspose of it.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Despite all the warnings, the last time we went north all they asked about was if we had any guns.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Dog food into Canada
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman