cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISC 330 starter keeps runing

TANDDANDBIGE
Explorer
Explorer
Have not started coach in 5 months and now the starter keeps running when the key is turned off. The only way I stopped it was to turn off the batt. disconnect in the batt. bay. I then toggled it on and off several times until I heard a "click" and the starter stopped. Is it possible that rust on the flywheel has the Bendix stuck engaged thus keeping the solenoid energized? Or what else? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance TB
2002 HR ENDEAVOR 40'
2007 FORD EDGE TOAD
13 REPLIES 13

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
I sure hope you keep us up to date on how this turns out.
Not good, I fear.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

TANDDANDBIGE
Explorer
Explorer
First, Thanks to all for your assistance. Second, I found the solenoid. It doesn't look like a standard round type solenoid. See White Rodgers 120-105851. It is located behind the large black plastic box in the aft passenger bay, above the inverter. it is housed on a plate that also holds high amperage fuses and relays for grid heat. THX TB
2002 HR ENDEAVOR 40'
2007 FORD EDGE TOAD

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
TANDDANDBIGE wrote:
It resides behind a black plastic cover in the aft passenger bay above the invertor along with high amperage fuses and relays for the heat grid. White Rodgers 120-105851 THX TB

I think NOT.

That might be a "battery" solenoid but certainly NOT a starter solenoid. The starter solenoid is a part of the truck chassis and should NEVER be mounted inside the "house" part. Never.

The starter draws huge amounts of current.....and needs to be as close to the chassis battery and the starter as possible.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

TANDDANDBIGE
Explorer
Explorer
First, thanks to all for your help and support. Second, I found it. It doesn't look like a standard round solenoid, thus I didn't recognize it. It resides behind a black plastic cover in the aft passenger bay above the invertor along with high amperage fuses and relays for the heat grid. White Rodgers 120-105851 THX TB
2002 HR ENDEAVOR 40'
2007 FORD EDGE TOAD

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
OK, gotta ask:
If you can not FIND the solenoid, how do you know for sure that the other end of the wire you are disconnecting actually GOES there ??

Have you found the starter yet ? The fat usually red wire feeding the starter should go to the solenoid.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
This might help for maybe a picture,

https://www.google.com/search?q=diesel+starter+relay&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=FCBrb2yx3tTMKM%253A%252C87wm1kg1e1nnBM%252C_&usg=__flE1habH9y1chabUw_sct_6bzws%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjphO2hyqbaAhXE2VMKHTJnBh4Q9QEIQzAA#imgrc=FCBrb2yx3tTMKM:

TANDDANDBIGE
Explorer
Explorer
Verification complete. It IS the start solenoid/relay. My problem now is to find it. With the starter solenoid wire removed, it stays hot after turning key to start for about 15+ seconds until I hear a "click" and voltage goes to zero. I just cannot find the source of the click I have listened/looked high and low but no luck. Does anybody know where Holiday Rambler and/or Cummins would hide this thing and what it looks like? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. THX TB
2002 HR ENDEAVOR 40'
2007 FORD EDGE TOAD

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
Starter drive is worn out.

Could be.

But going to all of that trouble without FIRST checking the other possible causes would NOT be a wise thing to do.
Could be a LOT of time and money wasted.

Typically the starter solenoid is located on or near to the starter itself.

If there is another relay between the ignition switch and the solenoid, it could be most anywhere.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
You need to VERIFY whether this is a starter relay that is continuing to supply power or whether you have a mechanical issue with the starter.

Either will cause the same symptoms.

I would start by doing a check on the electrical supply side (whether the starter relay is continuing to supply power to the starter after key is not in start position).
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Starter drive is worn out. Pull starter, go to a starter shop and have it rebuilt. Fix it now for a smooth summer.
This guy is in central Wa.
http://soundstarterandalternator.com/

TANDDANDBIGE
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05 wrote:
How about the starter relay.

I will have to figure out where that is......... not in the batt. bay. THX TB
2002 HR ENDEAVOR 40'
2007 FORD EDGE TOAD

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
How about the starter relay.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
TANDDANDBIGE wrote:
Is it possible that rust on the flywheel has the Bendix stuck engaged thus keeping the solenoid energized?

Probably not.

More likely it is the starter solenoid itself sticking.
Or a starter relay that drives it.....Or maybe even the ignition switch itself.

A meter to test would be a REALLY good idea.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611