cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GM full size SUVs. Highest miles still on the road.

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
Article out today from ic.cars did a study of 13 million autos and looks like GMs full size SUVS too list . Well I have been driving very high mile suburban for years now and can say I'm amazed at how much money I can sell a suburban with 250,000 miles for. I drive one now with 320,000 and it still kelly blue books at 9,000.
15 REPLIES 15

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Engineer9860 wrote:
Fordlover wrote:
Engineer9860 wrote:
Where are all of these Expeditions they talk about. I’m not seeing any. Can’t remember the last time I saw an Expedition.

Perhaps it's a very regional thing?? My neighbor across the street has an older one, the neighbor behind me (I'm a corner lot) has a Lincoln Navigator, and the neighbor across the intersection has a nearly new Expedition.
I'm literally surrounded by them, if you count the Lincoln. And not a Suburban to be seen.
My best man's 2002 Expy has around 200K on it, but not adding many miles these days since he takes the light rail to work now.
Here we are camping a while back.

I knew if I could get any body to respond to my post it would be you. 😉

And I know how much you hate Blazers so I’m going to add back into the post the part of my original comments that you seen fit to clip:

Engineer9860 wrote:

As far as the GM SUVs our little 1997 Blazer has 370,000mi on it. Original engine. Original trans went to 300,000 and would probably still be going if it had not been for a faulty aftermarket transmission cooler install.

And see, I wasn't gonna say a word about the Blazer:W. My concerns have nothing to do with longevity, the 4.3 V6 was a stout motor, and I admit to ignorance on the transmission used behind it. Automatic transmissions from the 90's and before don't really charge me up much, but then again I really prefer to row my own. Don't get me started on CVT's...
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Engineer9860
Explorer
Explorer
Fordlover wrote:
Engineer9860 wrote:
Where are all of these Expeditions they talk about. I’m not seeing any. Can’t remember the last time I saw an Expedition.

Perhaps it's a very regional thing?? My neighbor across the street has an older one, the neighbor behind me (I'm a corner lot) has a Lincoln Navigator, and the neighbor across the intersection has a nearly new Expedition.
I'm literally surrounded by them, if you count the Lincoln. And not a Suburban to be seen.
My best man's 2002 Expy has around 200K on it, but not adding many miles these days since he takes the light rail to work now.

I knew if I could get any body to respond to my post it would be you. 😉

And I know how much you hate Blazers so I’m going to add back into the post the part of my original comments that you seen fit to clip:

Engineer9860 wrote:

As far as the GM SUVs our little 1997 Blazer has 370,000mi on it. Original engine. Original trans went to 300,000 and would probably still be going if it had not been for a faulty aftermarket transmission cooler install.
In Memoriam: Liberty Belle

rmoparman
Explorer
Explorer
I had 1 GM product and never will own another again.

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Engineer9860 wrote:

Engineer9860
Explorer
Explorer

In Memoriam: Liberty Belle

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
I would chime in that the Expedition and Suburban may also average more miles per year based on the vehicle type. I know that I put over 29k miles on a new Suburban in 9 months in 2012. It was my commute vehicle, fit my family, and was fuel efficient for the number of passengers.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
I think it's a reflection of the extremely high cost of replacing these types of vehicles as well as their relatively high resale, not a reflection of durability or reliability. For example, if a Kia Rio that's 10 years old with 200,000 miles has a major mechanical problem (a transmission failure for example), it's very likely that the cost of repair will be more than the car is worth and the car ends up being scrapped. A Suburban or Expedition transmission failure won't cost much more, but since the vehicle is still likely worth much more than the cost of repair (and very expensive to replace) that owner will likely invest the money and keep the car on the road.

Bingo! :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting but not surprising.

A few years ago I was looking for a 2500 Burb with the 8.1. I saw a ton of high mile Burbs when I was looking that still (to me) were asking for a ton of $.

We found a 2003 with around 125k miles. Engine and tranny were great. Seats didn’t hold up well. Heated seats didn’t work and I spent close to $1k to replace a leaky sunroof. Dash was badly cracked. And the rear defroster failed as well as other “little things”. Rattled like crazy and my wife hated it.

We kept it just one year. Two years ago we replaced it with a 2011 Yukon Denali XL. Now has 85k on the clock. And rattles just as bad as the old one did. But at least the heated seats still work and the sunroof doesn’t leak. Yet. At least it is mechanically sound.

I would like to get rid of it but a new one is too expensive. I’m sure I am not alone in my feelings.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
I think it's a reflection of the extremely high cost of replacing these types of vehicles as well as their relatively high resale, not a reflection of durability or reliability. For example, if a Kia Rio that's 10 years old with 200,000 miles has a major mechanical problem (a transmission failure for example), it's very likely that the cost of repair will be more than the car is worth and the car ends up being scrapped. A Suburban or Expedition transmission failure won't cost much more, but since the vehicle is still likely worth much more than the cost of repair (and very expensive to replace) that owner will likely invest the money and keep the car on the road.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fordlover wrote:
MARK VANDERBENT wrote:
Article out today from ic.cars did a study of 13 million autos and looks like GMs full size SUVS too list . Well I have been driving very high mile suburban for years now and can say I'm amazed at how much money I can sell a suburban with 250,000 miles for. I drive one now with 320,000 and it still kelly blue books at 9,000.

iseecars.com wrote:
Research from iSeeCars.com found that the Ford Expedition and Toyota Sequoia are four times as likely and the Chevrolet Suburban 3.5 times as likely as the average vehicle to be still on the road at 200,000 miles. The study looked at the 13 million used cars sold last year ranging from 1981 models to 2017.

Overall, 1.3 percent of average vehicles made it to 200,000, while the percentage for the Ford Expedition was 5.7, with the Toyota Sequoia at 5.6 and the Chevrolet Suburban at 4.8.

As Paul Harvey would say, "and now you know the rest of the story."

Well said...
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
MARK VANDERBENT wrote:

iseecars.com wrote:
Research from iSeeCars.com found that the Ford Expedition and Toyota Sequoia are four times as likely and the Chevrolet Suburban 3.5 times as likely as the average vehicle to be still on the road at 200,000 miles. The study looked at the 13 million used cars sold last year ranging from 1981 models to 2017.

Overall, 1.3 percent of average vehicles made it to 200,000, while the percentage for the Ford Expedition was 5.7, with the Toyota Sequoia at 5.6 and the Chevrolet Suburban at 4.8.

As Paul Harvey would say, "and now you know the rest of the story."

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
A few years I traded my 97 Suburban, it only had 200,000 miles. It was the original engine/transmission and everything worked. I would have driven it anywhere.
I now have an 08 Suburban and it just turned 100,000. I hope it's just getting broken in..

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
My folks and subsequently my sister had an 01-ish Tahoe for a collective 275,000 miles before finally parting with it. It was definitely worn out by that point but it held up remarkably well and I don't recall that it had anything that significant go wrong.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
You're just looking for another chance to brag on that burb. 🙂

As you should be! They last forever.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...