cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weighed new rig - super low pin weight %

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
We've got maybe 700 miles towing now. The first 200-250 miles were with my B&W Companion. The last 500-ish miles were with the Andersen. We haven't deal with big hills/mountains at all and haven't noticed any issues with towing. The brakes on this thing are WAY better than my old rig (2013 Sabre 36QBOK).

I just weighed the Spartan 1245 yesterday. Fresh water tank was probably 2/3 or more full (let's say 70 of 100 gallons). The fill inlet is behind the axles but I'm not sure where the actual tank is. We don't carry toys as the garage is the kids' room- but we do have the garage filled (sofa bed, a ****-ton of furniture and household items, and the washer/dryer combo); I wouldn't be surprised if it had 1,000+ lbs.

Overall weight was right at 21,000 lbs.

Pin weight was 3,260 lbs.

Pin weight percentage was 15.5%.

Looking at the specs, the dry weight is 15,051 lbs. with a dry pin weight of 2,627 lbs. for a percentage of 17.4%.

Honestly, I'm surprised at how low the dry percentage is given that the pin weight is almost definitely going to be unloaded with a toy hauler. I always just assumed the specs were wrong and that I'd be looking at a significantly different pin weight.

Apparently the specs were right and the pin weight is super low.

No issues in the limited towing, though. I have another 1,500 miles over the next 2 months to see what comes of it.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page
15 REPLIES 15

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Everything looks good to me.
Weights look good.
Stance on both truck and trailer look good.

Go have fun.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
My Silverado settles a couple of inches under load, but unloaded it rides a bit high in the rear so I'm happy!

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Most Rams and
Fords arrived in the rv resort we use each winter low on the rear. I added air bags to our dodge just to have a level truck. Some folks could do the same it they wanted to but might not notice.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
Pin weight on my Voltage 3950 is 3080 on fully loaded max 19000 = 16.2% I can't carry water because I'd be over GVWR. My TV/TH combination has been extremely stable over many many miles.

I doubt you'll have a problem.

Thanks and yep- I need to dump some water to get under GVWR on the trailer.
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Pin weight on my Voltage 3950 is 3080 on fully loaded max 19000 = 16.2% I can't carry water because I'd be over GVWR. My TV/TH combination has been extremely stable over many many miles.

I doubt you'll have a problem.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
Hard to tell from the photo but is your 5th wheel behind the axle? Truck seem to be squatting a bit but that could be lens distortion in the photo.

This truck always seemed to squat. My last rig was 3,000 lbs. of pin weight and squatted from that. To the point where, every once in a while, I would get someone flick their high-beams at me thinking mine were on.

This pin weight isn't a whole lot higher than the last one.

But, I haven't measured the squat yet. I've actually debated air bags to bring it back up a bit.

As for behind the axle or not- I know the B&W was right at/near it. I saw the same amount of squat with the Andersen after switching to it. I know it's more rearward than the B&W was.

BUT- per weigh tickets, I'm not unloading the front axle. 5,320 lbs. loaded vs. 5,340 lbs. unloaded. (To me, that 20 lbs. is the variance of the scale.)

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
That's a pretty new trailer, probably worth a call to the manufacturer to check if the numbers sound reasonable.

I also was under the impression that empty pin weights on toy haulers were generally higher than standard 5ers because the garage loading would reduce it.

I've kicked the idea around of calling them. It's a hold out from dealer's stock. We've owned it for 3 weeks now.

And I was under the same impression. Which is why I was so curious about the dry weight. I always thought it was just advertised wrong.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hard to tell from the photo but is your 5th wheel behind the axle? Truck seems to be squatting a bit but that could be lens distortion in the photo.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
That's a pretty new trailer, probably worth a call to the manufacturer to check if the numbers sound reasonable.

I also was under the impression that empty pin weights on toy haulers were generally higher than standard 5ers because the garage loading would reduce it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
"Good eye! Wife, daughter, and son are all in the picture."

Well, their feet are anyway. ๐Ÿ™‚

LOL!

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Good eye! Wife, daughter, and son are all in the picture."

Well, their feet are anyway. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Great looking set up

Looks level with plenty of bed rail clearance!!!

How come there are 3 pairs of 'feet' in the picture :B

It seems to be 6-8". I need to take the time to actually measure on level ground to make sure I'm level front to back.

Good eye! Wife, daughter, and son are all in the picture. ๐Ÿ˜„

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great looking set up

Looks level with plenty of bed rail clearance!!!

How come there are 3 pairs of 'feet' in the picture :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Dry weight 15,000#
Scaled weight 21,000#

You loaded 6000# :H

How does it sit hooked up...........level, nose up, nose down?

First 800 lbs. were eaten up before it left the factory. Our yellow sticker is 5,100 lbs. of cargo carrying capacity.

We added a 3rd A/C, washer/dryer combo, and slide toppers at the dealer.

Almost 600 lbs. of water.

Different furniture (sofa bed @ 200 lbs. and various 50-80 lbs. pieces for dressers and desks and whatnot).

And then our stuff. We load about 3,500 lbs. or so of stuff.

It's why we bought this particular unit. I knew that with the way we pack, I needed 4,500+ lbs. of cargo carrying capacity.

I haven't measured yet, but it looks pretty good to me: