Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Halogen to LED Headlights?

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Need recommendation?

Have 4 light 4"x6" headlight system with halogens. Want to convert to LED.

Thanks,
rocmoc n AZ
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA
12 REPLIES 12

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is an article and explanation about what is out there: LED headlights

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
This is what I posted back in Jan 2017 when someone else asked about LED headlights.
I got these for my 2012 RAM. I love them.

BPSLighting

BPS Lighting H13 Headlight Conversion LED Bulb Kit Philips LUXEON Zes 8000 Lumens/50W

Got them through Amazon for $80.
They are so nice I ordered 2 more set for our Soul's (same company different model#)

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
FIRE UP wrote:

This is one of those things, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!
Scott

Actually, you get what you don't pay for.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Well,
First off, just because someone puts LED headlights in, doesn't mean they're ILLEGAL! Second, not ALL FOUR WHEELERS are in one class. There are plenty of us that care about other drivers, which means taking the time to re-aim the headlights after the install of ANY TYPE BULBS, including but not limited to LEDs. 99.99999% of today's autos, trucks, Jeeps, SUVs etc. have headlights that are very well designed in terms of providing the correct CUT-OFF line which, when aimed properly, will not blind oncoming drivers, almost no matter how bright they are. With that cutoff line set correctly, the driver will get maximum amount of light and distance, without offending oncoming drivers.

Proper aiming is the key here. The link below has some info on aiming them yourself. It's a bit more complicated than the method I used but, it may get more precise results.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

There are lots of JUNK LED headlights out there. But, there's some good ones too. The key here is, read any and all reviews of potential products you're considering. Just because an ad says, "Super bright" doesn't mean they are or, cover the entire array of standard headlight bulbs. There's quite a few LED headlights out there that provide a "blotchy" pattern. Meaning, there's light and dark spots in the array. There's some that provide very odd patterns that are not aimable.

This is one of those things, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Not to worry, drive 99.9% of the time during the day. Night driving is RARE and I know how to adjust the lights. Yes DOT only! Wanted to know what others have done, so many products out there and a lot is trash.

Thanks everyone thus far,

rocmoc n AZ
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with amexpress. Drove a truck and ran at night. Really unprofessional of truck drivers running fog lights and people in 4 wheelers. In Va it's illegal unless it's fog or precip falling.Same in Oklahoma.

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately, I have encountered numerous vehicles that had aftermarket LED bulbs installed. You might have encountered them too. They're the vehicles at night that you meet on the road with bright white headlights that seem to be on high beams, but they're not. They are LED bulbs that are not DOT approved or the headlights were not re-aimed; or both.
Please don't be one of those vehicles.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
For my 4x6" head light system, I went with these lenses and added these bulbs
I'm very happy with the results.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
ScottG wrote:
1995brave wrote:
You need to get the bulb numbers (i.e. H-11,H-3, etc.) and search for LED replacements. Don't just grab the first ones you see, do some research. I looked for a year before I replaced mine.

So how did the LED's perform for you?

Have had them in for 2 years now with no problems. Put some in our Kia Souls and have had no problems. All three sets were DOT approved. Found them on Amazon.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just make sure that the LED lights you settle on are DOT approved. Some of the imports are not.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
1995brave wrote:
You need to get the bulb numbers (i.e. H-11,H-3, etc.) and search for LED replacements. Don't just grab the first ones you see, do some research. I looked for a year before I replaced mine.

So how did the LED's perform for you?

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad