cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mounting an exterior coax connection to motorhome

bennefim
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to install a coax cable from the BOMB to an area on the drivers side of MH allowing me to connect the portable dish without routing wires thru the slide, window or door. The problems is how to hide the cable from overhead cabinet down by the windshield to under the dash. Once there I can handle the rest. The RV is a 2006 Pace Arrow. If anyone else has done this please share.

Thanks, Doug
12 REPLIES 12

bennefim
Explorer
Explorer
My bad, I new the receiver is where it would connect but called it the BOMB by mistake. That's the reason you cant use the "cable" wire for sat.

Thanks again.

Doug

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
IT is. ONly as others have pointed out the cable (RG-6 by the way) does not go to the BOMB but to the Sat Receiver, Inside. (Same path however, Just a different box in the overhead) I ran two of them by the way, might as well run 2 while doing the work.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bennefim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks wa8yxm! That sounds like a plan.

Doug

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok, on most coaches there is a PILLAR called the "A" pillar (They are lettered starting with the front of the coach) where the windshield meets the side windows. This is usually right beside the overhead compartment

If you pop the caps and remove the screws and "Open" the pillar you will see a whole bunch of cables already hiding there.. add one more, Close, replace the screws and caps and you will have a cable under the dash.

I then went through an existing hole to the engine side, and mounted the ground block on the Brake Bell Crank Barcket under the hood. But you can then run id down the rails (Frame rails) to any handy compartment re-enter and mount a block wherever you wish.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
bennefim wrote:
Mountainair, I believe you have the answer with routing behind the windshield corner post covers. I'll take a look at that. If I can do that, then I will mount something like RoyB suggested.

For clarification, the cable is going from Bomb to tailgater.

Doug

For additional clarification, that's not where the coax from a Tailgater would go. It needs to go directly to the satellite receiver and the output from the receiver will go to the BOMB.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you use the proper coax or if it's a motorized azimuth antenna the coax will overheat due to resistance.

bennefim
Explorer
Explorer
Mountainair, I believe you have the answer with routing behind the windshield corner post covers. I'll take a look at that. If I can do that, then I will mount something like RoyB suggested.

For clarification, the cable is going from Bomb to tailgater.

Doug

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I mounted one of these TV CONNECTOR weather tight boxes on my camper to use for routing my Ham Radio RG antenna cables to the outside. The TV "F" connectors are mounted in standard size holes in plastic and installing one of these connector boxes with spring lids is easy to do... Enough room here to remove the "F" connectors and use any number of the different RG feed through connectors...

Google image

Find a spot on the outside that will extend into the back of a cabinet somewhere on the inside.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my BOMB, there is a cable in the electrical basement bay that is to be used to hook up to RV park cable service. If you have one of the, all you have to do is connect your external antenna to that connection and push the right button on your BOMB.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
A cable would not be run from the BOMB to an antenna. That needs to run directly to the receiver. If that's where the BOMB is located as well that's fine but you don't connect that cable to the BOMB. The "output" from the receiver connects to the BOMB for TV viewing on multiple TV's.
Does your coach have wiring currently for a TV located outside in one of the bays? If so, and you are not using it you can re-purpose that cable for a run from your dish to your receiver. Let us know.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

tderonne
Explorer
Explorer
Does it have a cable TV connection? Could use that to utilize the cable already in place. You can use a diplexer if you'd like to have cable and satellite connections both useable.
Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pull the side front windshield molding on what ever side you want. Usually just a few screws. One side will already be full of electrical wires so look at the other side. You really don't want to mix them. Get some RG-11 over the RG-6 and that will help.