cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Selecting a 5th wheel hitch for my truck/toy hauler combo

Blk88GT
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 F350 Crew Cab Long Box SRW and will be pulling a 2008 Keystone Raptor 3712. I am new to 5th wheel hitches but not new to towing/hauling. My truck has the factory puck system.

I'm looking at the B&W Companion RVK3300, Reese 30142 and Curt 16034.

Are there any other hitches I should be considering or is there a reason to use one of these over the other? They're priced pretty close together, I just want to get the best hitch for the job.

I also don't know anything about "pin boxes" so if there is something I should know before I order a hitch, please feel free to jump in.

Any help would be appreciated!
25 REPLIES 25

Blk88GT
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for the advice. I brought the Raptor home yesterday for my dad and the hitch worked out great! I didn't have to remove my toolbox or mess around with anything. Hitch up and go! My truck did great and I had zero issues.

Next time I use it we'll be headed to Arizona!

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
brianpearce wrote:
I use an Andersen Ultimate Aluminum hitch attached to the gooseneck ball in the center hole since it is very easy to hitch/unhitch and only weighs 35 or so lbs.

I use an AUH as well and couldn't be happier with it. If I were to use a traditional hitch, it would be the B&W hands down. I looked at them all and was most impressed with that one.
'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you followed the instructions on placement of the spring, it will keep the head level, to slight tilt back, to allow the pin to slide up onto the hitch, when backing under it.

The tool box will work, if you have enough clearance. Should be at least 6"s, but with TBX 8" inches would be better. You will know, once hooked up.

Jerry

Blk88GT
Explorer
Explorer
Got the hitch put together and installed last night. Pretty straight forward. The only thing that seemed cheesy was the spring mechanism to keep the head tilted back when unhitched. I have no idea how this thing is supposed to work properly, it doesn't seem to do much at all.

One thing I hadn't thought of was, can I use a toolbox across the top of the bed rails with my longbox?

I guess I'll find out when I pick up the trailer, but I was hoping to be able to keep all my usual "truck stuff" in the box when towing.

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
BW Companion for sure!
had a Curt with slider and adapter and although a good hitch it weighed 225 easy!!!

The BW is well built and comes apart in two 50-60 pound pieces and this was big for me.

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
when I bought my trailer we cheaped out with a reese. this year we purchased the B&W, I have nothing bad to say about this hitch...well it could have been offered in black rather than grey. other than that it is a great hitch and well built!
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
An excellent choice, you'll be very happy with it.

Agreed, excellent hitch. I was super sad to see mine go today!
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
An excellent choice, you'll be very happy with it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Blk88GT
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys, lots of good info here. The Pullrite looks really interesting but I'm going to stick with a traditional hitch for now.

I've ordered the B&W. It should be here next week.

1Adam12
Explorer
Explorer
PullRite Superlite.

It's prevents having to pull forward, back up, guess at the right height etc.

You attach PullRite capture plate with ball to your existing hitch, mount the hitch itself to rails and pin the unit in place. I installed mine in 20 minutes and carried it myself. It's easy to take out if you need the bed of your truck for something.

The ease of getting attached is amazing to me. You simply pull anywhere near the funnel and then lower the ball into cup.

I'll never go back to traditional hitch.
DW and two boys
2019 Grand Design Momentum 397M
2020 Ram 3500 DRW

dedmiston
Ah. Gotcha. Thanks guys.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
I think he was referring to a truck with a turn-over ball, to attach the Andersen to it.

Yep. Turnover ball/pop-up ball/random gooseneck hitch.
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
ependydad wrote:
If the truck has a gooseneck hitch, I'd consider the Andersen.

If not, the B&W Companion that connects to the pucks.

I don't think you'll find a Toy Hauler with a gooseneck.

Not the toy hauler, the truck itself.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think he was referring to a truck with a turn-over ball, to attach the Andersen to it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"