cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No AC power when connected to shore power.

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't realize that I originally had this posted in the wrong forum and the topic was closed. Sorry.

I have had our motorhome plugged into shore
power in my driveway, as always, but this morning I went out there and my house batteries were dead and there is no 110 volt power to any of the outlets.
I started the generator, and the batteries are charging and all the 12 volt times are working, as well as the 110 volt heat pump, but there is no power to any of the 110 volt outlets.
I have it plugged into a standard 220 volt 50 amp, grounded outlet, and I have confirmed that I have power going into the shore power cord.

Any thoughts as what I should check next?

Thanks

Thanks for the input that I did receive. So far I have already checked all the connections in my house and the outlet to the shore power connection. The problem definitely is in the motorhome.

I have checked the reset on the converter/inverter, and all the breakers. I suspect that the converter has gone bad.
Roland
1999 American Dream 40 DVS
2011 Jeep Liberty
Roadmaster Sterling Towbar
Brake Buddy
16 REPLIES 16

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the continued comments. I checked the GFIs and converter breakerfirst. Where is the throwover relay?
Roland
2011 Jeep Liberty
Brake Buddy

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Reset the breakers on your inverter. Do not run a heater on those outlets that get power through the inverter.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

atsrmf
Explorer
Explorer
Your throwover relay is either sticking or is broken. Look in your breaker panel and see.

catldog
Explorer
Explorer
Just a guess, any GFCI receptacles on your wall outlets? jg
2001 Winnebago Journey DL 36 DP

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE

I had some time to do some more checking today. As I mentioned earlier, the problem is definitely in the motorhome and not the source from shore power. I traced power through the transfer switch and to all the circuit breakers. All the breakers read 115 volts both to neutral and to ground.

I was able to locate the Winnebago wiring diagrams on line. According to the diagram, there is one outlet that is not affected by the load shedder and/or the inverter circuitry. When I checked it with my meter it had power. All the rest of the outlets are dead, but A/C works. So I have so far isolated it to the circuitry associated with either the inverter/charger or the load shedder. Right now I'm leaning toward a bad relay in the load shedder, but I'm getting ready to eat dinner, so I'll have to get back to it later.
Roland
2011 Jeep Liberty
Brake Buddy

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Ro646a wrote:
It is an Airpax Dimensions 2000 watt inverter. From what I have been able to ascertain, I'm pretty sure the problem is in the transfer switch.
Thanks

If you have some power, like with the ac's, then it sounds as if you'd lost just one leg and for whatever reason.
If there's 240/120vac power at the pedestal, then a meter at the transfer sw. should determine if it's indeed getting inside and beyond.
Metering the top and bottom of the main circuit breaker will tell you even more.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
It is an Airpax Dimensions 2000 watt inverter. From what I have been able to ascertain, I'm pretty sure the problem is in the transfer switch.
Thanks
Roland
2011 Jeep Liberty
Brake Buddy

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ro646a wrote:
,,, I started the generator, and the batteries are charging and all the 12 volt times are working, as well as the 110 volt heat pump, but there is no power to any of the 110 volt outlets.

If the outlets are dead but the roof A/C works then the whole house inverter is the problem. A/C's take too much power to run off batteries and are rarely connected to the inverter. Any idea of the make/model inverter?
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
error...
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Ro646a

We have company coming too, but I am over on the west edge of the Twp. I will be back at the keyboard tomorrow morning. I am electrically competent and I could grab a meter and come on by.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Ro646a wrote:
I think it must be something with the transfer switch. Easter visitors arriving now so I'll have to wait until tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

If your shore power cord has a connector on the coach end, always check that first. They are usually a twist-loc type, with a locking ring and will work loose on occasion. Remove it completely and inspect the pins for burning and such, while you're at it.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
I think it must be something with the transfer switch. Easter visitors arriving now so I'll have to wait until tomorrow. Thanks for the help.
Roland
2011 Jeep Liberty
Brake Buddy

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
If nothing on the coach works on 120 VAC (like the roof A/C) then start by checking for power IN and OUT at the ATS.

If just the outlets or some of the outlets are not working, but some other 120 VAC stuff does work, yes, check the breaker on the inverter/charger AND/OR your GFI's.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

MrWizard
outlets are down circuit from the breaker box

just a guess ? do you have a 'whole house inverter' ?

just because the charge section is working and the batteries are receiving power does not mean everything is working
the internal pass thru switch/relay for shore power might have failed. or circuit breakers on the inverter might be tripped

check your inverter-charger for tripped breakers
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s