cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Changing outlets

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone changed their regular AC outlets to the ones that also include USB outlets? If so what brand and how do you like them?
Proud father of a US Marine
34 REPLIES 34

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:

Don't rule out that even if there IS a UL or CSA mark that it COULD be counterfeit!

Happens a lot more than one would like to think..

Counterfeit UL and CSA mark search

Good point. Yes, it does happen and I got burned once in the past.

That iPM USB device is just suspicious looking. "iPM" isn't even a manufacturer, they're some some of distributor and have a range of products branded iPM including bluetooth speakers, dash cams, gloves and *much* more - iPM store. The USB outlet is available at Home Depot for a mere $71.43 (same on iPM's website) or get in on Amazon for $15.99 incl. free shipping... Couldn't find any literature stating it has UL listing. If I can remember, next time I'm in HD I'll look at one. If that type of design meets UL requirements, you'd expect to see Leviton, Bryant, Hubbell or one of the other receptacle manufacturers making them.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
myredracer wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
myredracer wrote:
No way would I use that push-in USB device unless it is UL listed and approved under the NEC. I doubt it is.

A typical RV type receptacle is below. They do not have screw terminals on the side. The cover plate pushes onto the front via a couple of plastic tabs. If you have insufficient wall depth for a residential side-wired recept. with USB ports and outlet box, you could possibly use a shallow box and a surface mount extension like in 2nd photo, which you can find in bathrooms in RVs for GFIs.

I did look up that device and, hard to believe, it is UL listed unless they they are faking it.

It's surprising they don't mention something that important in the description. Not convinced that they way it presses against the screw terminals is a good thing and would be interesting to see one in person.

Don't rule out that even if there IS a UL or CSA mark that it COULD be counterfeit!

Happens a lot more than one would like to think..

Counterfeit UL and CSA mark search

EnzoColorado
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just installed this 12V USB charging port in my camper as part of the solar panel project.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZOIIQAO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tied the power wire into an wall switch for interior light, and grounded it on the door frame nearby.
2017 Starcraft AR-ONE MAXX 20BHLE
2012 Suburban 2500 LT 4WD

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:

It's surprising they don't mention something that important in the description. Not convinced that they way it presses against the screw terminals is a good thing and would be interesting to see one in person.

I can't remember the last time (if ever) I have checked for the UL or whatever sticker on an electrical appliance.
bumpy

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
myredracer wrote:
No way would I use that push-in USB device unless it is UL listed and approved under the NEC. I doubt it is.

A typical RV type receptacle is below. They do not have screw terminals on the side. The cover plate pushes onto the front via a couple of plastic tabs. If you have insufficient wall depth for a residential side-wired recept. with USB ports and outlet box, you could possibly use a shallow box and a surface mount extension like in 2nd photo, which you can find in bathrooms in RVs for GFIs.

I did look up that device and, hard to believe, it is UL listed unless they they are faking it.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Why not just do things simple?

Using the above ideas gets around the issues with the one piece 120V outlets..

simple, straight forward, HUH? not in this forum.
bumpy

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why not just do things simple?

and so on..

No installation required.

Although, personally, you ARE in a "RV", and that RV HAS 12V run all through it..

I would just go with 12V to USB adapters and mount them away from the 120V outlets.. The advantage here is you ALWAYS have 12V power, not so with 120V..

You can mount those on a panel and add a toggle switch to turn them off when not needed to save battery..

OR..

Install a couple of cig lighter ports and use one of these..

Using the above ideas gets around the issues with the one piece 120V outlets..

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
mikhen wrote:
DrewE wrote:
mikhen wrote:
These as an option?

Not for self-contained outlets such as are common in RVs (and have no cover plates as such).

You made me run out and check. Mine have covers on them.

so do mine.
bumpy

Interesting...I double-checked, and mine do not have cover plates, just a front panel and a couple of screws in the corners that actuate clamps from the back to hold the unit in position.

Please update my caution above to say that it will not work for some self-contained outlets as they have no cover plates as such. For the others, it may work if they have something for the prongs to contact against and power the USB charger part.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
mikhen wrote:
DrewE wrote:
mikhen wrote:
These as an option?

Not for self-contained outlets such as are common in RVs (and have no cover plates as such).

so do mine.
bumpy

mikhen
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
mikhen wrote:
These as an option?

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
mikhen wrote:
These as an option?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
mikhen wrote:
These as an option?

nope, too easy, not complex enough for our needs. :s
but thanks I think I will order some.
bumpy