cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar Panel Project

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
I do more boondock style camping then anything else.
My 2 - 6V batteries do a good job keeping me powered up for the few things I need powered whilst camping....but I have a 7 day trip planned with my Dad in Northern Quebec and thought that a little Solar power help would be justified.

I bought the Coleman 40W kit on sale at Canadian Tire for $113.00 and some wiring accessories on Amazon.

My plan is to mount the controller in the forward basement compartment. From there it is about a 4 foot run to the batteries.
I bought a weatherproof, marine, female 12V accessory plug that I will install just forward of the compartment door.
I also purchased a 10 foot long cable with the correct SAE plug on one end and the male 12V accessory plug on the other.

Plan is to set up the panel in the sunny spot....plug it in and let it assist in prolonging my battery charge.

I am now waiting for:
1) the trailer to be moved from winter stowage back into my driveway
2) Warmer weather
3) My Amazon order to show up

I also bought an SAE polarity adapter as I'm not clear on how the 12V extension is wired. The Coleman wiring is quite clear.
31 REPLIES 31

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
More: Solar repairs
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
My Solar
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
I like when projects work for people...and their distinct needs. My dad had a 75W panel on his 35' 5er and dry camped for days with just lights/pump in the California and Arizona deserts. He conserved, and didn't even have LED's but made it work for a small budget. I put solar on my rig just to keep batts up in storage with fridge running, and the occasional dry camping trip to supplement my Honda 2000. Glad ur system is doing its job, solar is a real bonus for rv's.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
Yeti plus wrote:
Hey #1nobby,
CTC has that panel on sale again this week, even less than you paid.
If you wanted to double your panel power, it is only $90. That is far less than what I paid and even less than your $113.

40W On sale again this week....$79.99!

And the 150W is $249.99

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
doesn't matter, it's still 2.25 amps.
Per day
per minute
per second

You're right.
Doesn't matter.

2 - 40W panels are suiting the purpose that they were intended for.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Forty solar watts will provide about two and a quarter amps per hour.

Time doesn't matter, it's still 2.25 amps.
Per day
per minute
per second
Bob

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice...the panels and the view.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
After 7 days of boondocking in Northern Quebec I can safely say that my Solar Panel Project has proven to be a success.

I mounted a 12V accessory plug receptacle near a basement door.

I mounted the solar controller inside the basement with a 4 foot run to the 2 - 6V batteries.

I am using 2 - 40W panels with an octopus connector to a 20 foot SAE extension to a 12 - foot SAE to 12V accessory plug extension.

Those panels fully recharged the batteries over the course of a day.

Now, full disclosure, I don't have an inverter nor am I a power pig. Just normal usage of lights and waterpump with the heater thrown in a couple of evenings and mornings.

But I am impressed with the outcome. A nice addition to the PortaNobby.

PS.....this was my view in the morning....:)

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
Yeti plus wrote:
Hey #1nobby,
If you wanted to double your panel power, it is only $90. That is far less than what I paid and even less than your $113.

I can't remember if that $113 was tax in, or not.

Anyways.....CTC always has the 40W on sale. For some reason the larger ones not so much.
Thanks for keeping your eyes open.

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:

Do you have some good sized wire to get the charge back to the batteries? My take is: "why spend good money on the system and then give up some charge from bad wiring". For my rig, I had a partial spool of 4 ga so I used that.

Yes...and it will be about a 4 foot run from the controller.

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
Hey #1nobby,
I am not liking this return to winter either, but at least I am not up in the snow belt near Barrie. I put the snow shovels away last week and I am NOT getting them out until November now!!
BRRRRian
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
#1nobby wrote:
Just need the effing snow to stop falling and the temperature to warm up a bit.

Don't hold your breath - everything outside is white and current temp is -5C, nothing "warm" about it at all. :M
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a good plan. Yeah, the "White Devil" just won't stop. I just went out to load some power steering fluid in one of the cars, it's 10f over here.

Do you have some good sized wire to get the charge back to the batteries? My take is: "why spend good money on the system and then give up some charge from bad wiring". For my rig, I had a partial spool of 4 ga so I used that.

Also, IMO, solar charging and RV'ing is like peanut butter and jelly, it's a good combination. Good luck with the solar!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton