cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking out old carpet and put in new vinyl flooring.

Tom_in_Tulsa
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Monaco laPalma with 2 slides. We want to take out the old carpet in the living and bedroom area and replace with vinyl. 2 slides are involved. Can we remove the carpeting on the slides as well? Does the new vinyl get scratched up when the slides go in and out?
Do we need to have installers with RV flooring experience?
2008 Forest River Georgetown 357; F53 Triton V10 gas engine; Alison trans.
Onan 5000 generator
12 REPLIES 12

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom n Jackie wrote:
I have a Monaco laPalma with 2 slides. We want to take out the old carpet in the living and bedroom area and replace with vinyl. 2 slides are involved. Can we remove the carpeting on the slides as well? Does the new vinyl get scratched up when the slides go in and out?

We travel in warm and cold climates so we replaced our old carpet with new padding and new carpet and we are very happy. I guess wood is nice but having to have throw rugs everywhere seems to defeat the purpose in my eye but that's just me.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Once the carpet is removed, coat the sub-floor with two coats of polyurethane to seal in any odors as well as protect the sub-floor from any moisture damage. Once this is done, you can install any type of floor covering over the sub-floor.

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
Good information.
Thanks.

GM
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.

erniee
Explorer
Explorer
The slides never have to be removed for any flooring installation. Run away from those fools as fast as you can.
Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

Tom_in_Tulsa
Explorer
Explorer
I just got an installation quote from a RV service location. OUCH!! $3500 plus material. The slides have to be taken out according to them. i read here that is not necessary.
Onan 5000 generator

Tom_in_Tulsa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. We will be going that way soon. I saw his link on another thread.
Onan 5000 generator

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
We did Allure vinyl. It's important to let the floor float and not nail or screw anything through the vinyl in to subfloor. Search "allure" above as there have been several threads with pictures in the past 6 months on the subject.

If done right it works fine. Mine has been through all 4 seasons now and it looks as good as the day I put it down. If you're not happy, it's only about $300 of material and a weekend's work.

However, I just noticed you're in Tulsa and RV.net member erniee does excellent work with engineered hardwood and urethane glue. He's in Texas and would probably be worth the 4 hour trip.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Tom_in_Tulsa
Explorer
Explorer
Thx Valhalla. I just bot this 16 year old coach and the carpet is ratty. I wont go thru on RV dealership . Loews as well as some local installers have said yes to the job.
Onan 5000 generator

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Tom n Jackie wrote:
The reason I was asking is that another forum and RV info page says carpet is better than vinyl flooring because of temperature changes and vehicle movement.

Vinyl can crack after a particularly cold winter...particularly at inside corners....

But if you get the thick quality stuff it will typically hold up for years before it's an issue. Keep in mind, you don't need a lot, so the cost of the better stuff isn't much.

Our last trailer was a 1997 with vinyl. It was fine until 2015 when some cracks formed after a particularly cold winter.

I figure 20yr old carpet is going look pretty ratty, so it's probably a wash.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Tom_in_Tulsa
Explorer
Explorer
The reason I was asking is that another forum and RV info page says carpet is better than vinyl flooring because of temperature changes and vehicle movement.
Onan 5000 generator

Sultan1966
Explorer
Explorer
Too each their own.. just added a dishwasher..not a dish drawer and swapped out 3 burner gas range for 2 burner induction cooktop...next up switching old carpet for new.
2008 Monaco Dynasty Renaissance IV with Cummins 425hp ISL (Louie) with 2005 Chevrolet Silverado (Roscoe) with Golf Cart in back (Forrest Gump).
Wife, I and our two dogs are Full-Timers

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Tom n Jackie wrote:

No. Several forum members have done DIY installations of vinyl flooring.