cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inspectors are Worth it. (long but true story)

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
We all hear lots of advice on purchasing an RV. One thing I had heard was have the one you think you want to buy inspected. I am hoping to buy a MH soon and have sold my TT, so getting really serious.

I had looked at pictures and talked to owners of a MH I was interested in. I first encountered owner when I was asking on Owners group forum about the floorplan. The owner expressed that they loved their floorplan and would be selling theirs soon as they were not going to continue fulltiming. Time went buy and I finally was to the point I was ready to purchase. After looking at pictures sent to me and on-line ad, I made the owner an offer contingent on inspection. I really stressed was it worth the cost for the full โ€œpremiumโ€ inspection with fluid samples tested and everything, but decided I couldnโ€™t travel to where MH was for that cost (would have been multiple day trip driving or flights, rental car and hotel). I picked an inspector from RVIA website and emailed. He responded right away and then called to see what I knew about RVโ€™s. This allowed him to price his report to the level of detail I wanted.

Inspection was done, and I talked to inspector that day after he completed inspection. He mentioned that there were a few areas that were of concern, but that all the details I would receive in email within about 24 hours. I received the report and it was detailedโ€ฆ over 100 pages and lots of pictures and even a few videos. It annotated some โ€œLife Safetyโ€ issues and some โ€œMajorโ€ issues. I might have seen the bad tire but would not have seen the spot on the water heater where a rubber gasket/seal was missing. I might have realized the slide didnโ€™t go quite all the way out, but would not have seen the gap at the slide roof that was letting light in. These were issues that I wasnโ€™t willing to accept at the price I offered.

I sent email with โ€œcopy and pastesโ€ from inspection report to buyer, who immediately denied that there could be slide issues, since he had previously spent money having one slide repaired. He ignored the โ€œLife Safetyโ€ issues and my request for him to repair them along with the Major Issues. He stated that all the things that were wrong with RV were due to normal wear and tear for age, and discounted that preventative maintenance may not have been done completely (which was what I thought when I saw the list of issues, both big and small.
The seller refused to consider repairing, only wanting my best โ€œas isโ€ offer. Oh yeah, he wanted me to send him the full report (or link to website where it resides). After going back and looking carefully at pictures on ads (yes it was advertised two different places), I realized most of the pictures were from brand new. I felt like seller was deceptive in posting new pictures of almost 5 year old MH and then refusing to consider him having repair done was just icing on the cake. He even accused me of taking 6 months of his time in considering the MH, although I told him originally I was NOT ready to buy.

So the real lesson of this is BUYER BEWARE and donโ€™t hesitate to hire an RVIA approved inspector.
Howard, you really saved my butt.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS
20 REPLIES 20

GottaRunGottaCa
Explorer
Explorer
wannavolunteerFT wrote:
GottaRunGottaCamp wrote:
Very smart decision on your part, you could have spent allot more than that on repairs after you brought the MH home, good luck in your search and I hope you find what you are looking for :B

Do you know anything about National Indoor RV Center? they have one that I am probably going to be looking at soon. They are taking it in trade, so don't have it on their lot yet.

Don't know much about them, although I was at a job site the other day and decided to stop by and went through a couple small motor homes, (just dreaming), I was there for about 20 minutes and was never approached by anyone, (it was a nice little dream) then I went back to work.
The are off of hwy 316 near the Lawrencevile airport.
:C
2016 F350
2019 Heartland Torque TQ-371

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
myredracer wrote:
Excellent call on hiring an inspector! Anyone buying a used RV would be wise to do that.

Anyone buying a new RV would be wise to do that, and in a lot of cases the report would probably be 200 pages.

+1
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph Cramden wrote:
myredracer wrote:
Excellent call on hiring an inspector! Anyone buying a used RV would be wise to do that.

Anyone buying a new RV would be wise to do that, and in a lot of cases the report would probably be 200 pages.

Have to be so cynical?? :B

Oh, totally forgot. After 4 seasons, still finding stuff that needs fixing... :M

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
myredracer wrote:

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II

Even brand new RVs can have serious issues. We bought a previous TT and the day after we bought it, the owner of a local RV repair/parts shop noticed a major problem with the frame while looking at how to install a propane fitting. After a lot of effort + grief and waiting, the manufacturer replaced the TT. Quality control is sadly lacking in RVs in general and on top of that many owners don't do needed maintenance and repairs.

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
GottaRunGottaCamp wrote:
Very smart decision on your part, you could have spent allot more than that on repairs after you brought the MH home, good luck in your search and I hope you find what you are looking for :B

Do you know anything about National Indoor RV Center? they have one that I am probably going to be looking at soon. They are taking it in trade, so don't have it on their lot yet.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

GottaRunGottaCa
Explorer
Explorer
wannavolunteerFT wrote:
brianosaur, Cost was approx. $850.. that included inspector going over the MH with fine tooth comb. Actually two people. spent 5-6 hours on it. Tested every appliance, ran water everywhere checking for leaks and pressure, checked supply and drain lines and valves, ran generator and tested power output, climbed on roof and checked it carefully for cracking, tears, seals etc. climbed under and checked for rust and visible (to someone who knows) suspension issues. Checked for propane leaks. checked all detectors (smoke, propane, etc). Checked for signs of leaking, soft spots, tears or scratches in all upholstery and finishes. Also pulled fluids and sent to lab for analysis.
Full report included over 100 pages, probably about 100 pictures (I didn't count) and several videos (showing issue with slide going in and out) or very noisy awning.

2016 F350
2019 Heartland Torque TQ-371

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
brianosaur, Cost was approx. $850.. that included inspector going over the MH with fine tooth comb. Actually two people. spent 5-6 hours on it. Tested every appliance, ran water everywhere checking for leaks and pressure, checked supply and drain lines and valves, ran generator and tested power output, climbed on roof and checked it carefully for cracking, tears, seals etc. climbed under and checked for rust and visible (to someone who knows) suspension issues. Checked for propane leaks. checked all detectors (smoke, propane, etc). Checked for signs of leaking, soft spots, tears or scratches in all upholstery and finishes. Also pulled fluids and sent to lab for analysis.
Full report included over 100 pages, probably about 100 pictures (I didn't count) and several videos (showing issue with slide going in and out) or very noisy awning.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
Curious as to the cost of the inspection?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Good job OP.
Yes sight unseen is very risky. I sort of did it with a boat, but I crafted it so that I had an out if it wasn't as represented. (It was also a virtually new boat, so barring major physical damage or evidence that it had sunk, it was less risky than a lot of transactions )

I made the seller (negotiated) haul it to me. That way if it wasn't right, he could take it home!
Guess I didn't actually buy it sight unseen, I agreed to buy it sight unseen.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Planning wrote:
wannavolunteerFT wrote:
I picked an inspector from RVIA website and emailed.

Sir, Can you point me to the site where you found an inspector?

NRVIA
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
wannavolunteerFT wrote:
I picked an inspector from RVIA website and emailed.

Sir, Can you point me to the site where you found an inspector?
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
stripit wrote:
Had a friend wanting to buy a motorhome in Az, where I lived and he was in Michigan. Said to me he had all the photos from the seller and was going to buy it and fly out, drive it home. I said would you like me to at least go look? I did and found it was not like the story he was told. It was a fire repair fix up and sell unit. Lots of tell tail signs of the unrepaired fire damage. Photos didn't show how it really was and only having an eyeball on it and touching the surfaces showed what was really there. I took at least 50 photos of what he was willing to buy, and that changed his mind, and we were talking $155,000 the asking selling price. Go Look at what you are about to pay good money for, before you buy...just my opinion

If I had that much money to spend Id buy brand new and have no worries..buying used just isnt my cup o tea as even with best inspection something such as engine or tranny may go south quick,,cant see inside after all..

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Had a friend wanting to buy a motorhome in Az, where I lived and he was in Michigan. Said to me he had all the photos from the seller and was going to buy it and fly out, drive it home. I said would you like me to at least go look? I did and found it was not like the story he was told. It was a fire repair fix up and sell unit. Lots of tell tail signs of the unrepaired fire damage. Photos didn't show how it really was and only having an eyeball on it and touching the surfaces showed what was really there. I took at least 50 photos of what he was willing to buy, and that changed his mind, and we were talking $155,000 the asking selling price. Go Look at what you are about to pay good money for, before you buy...just my opinion
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible