cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

best travel trailer in the 3000 lb. range

ScottnDana
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are looking to purchase a lite weight travel trailer in the 3000lb range,we will be using a jeep sahara to pull, has anyone got suggestions or favorites they might care to share. We are new to this experience, and welcome any and all advice.
Thx
14 REPLIES 14

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
Using a Jeep I would advise the smaller the better.Anything high or bulky becomes the tail wagging the dog and nail biting in cross winds. Been there done that.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Little Guy Max!

Little Guy Max - Link To Site

Or a Lance

Lance Travel Trailers - Link

Or A Minnie Winnie:

Minnie Winnie Floorplans - Link

I have the opinion that build quality is more important than the floor layout. Every manufacturer isn't equal, find a well constructed brand and then look at floorplan. Almost every brand will have a floor plan you can live with, but not every brand is well built.
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best is an Oliver. Itโ€™s not even close.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
brmiller wrote:
We bought a Colman 17fq a few weeks ago. Single axel, 3,200lb dry weight. It's a bunk model so you might not need that feature? If it's just the two of you then Coleman has some 16' models with rear baths that are right at 3,000lbs.

yeah, Colman is the base model of TT but it's inexpensive and if you're not full timing then it's a good return on your $

I bought the Aspen Trail 1700BH. It is identical to your Coleman 17FQ with different badging. Living in Montana, I flipped the axle and gained about six inches. I really love the layout. It is a very efficient use of space. Others make the same layout (Jayco 174 as one example) but they are all only 7 feet wide vs the 8 feet on ours. That makes a big difference. You have a full size dinette vs a cramped two person and storage next to the bed AND a 41 inch wide bottom bunk making a BIG difference in sleeping back there.

Interestingly, Dutchmen makes a Kodiak version of this (175BH). It runs around 3500 to 4K difference in price (in the SE) and has all the bells and whistles AND a better suspension (tortion) with a higher cargo capacity (1100 vs 650). I actually have seen a few of the Kodiaks in the SE under 15K (Temple GA). IF I had that choice, I'd go with the Kodiak if ONLY for the capacity. The Bells and whistle are very nice though along with the outside looks. They run from 21K to 25K up here in the Northwest. I could buy two of the Aspen Trails for that price. Enjoy and watch your capacity. The 3500 lb Dexters with the springs do have their limits. And consider a WDH.

brmiller
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a Colman 17fq a few weeks ago. Single axel, 3,200lb dry weight. It's a bunk model so you might not need that feature? If it's just the two of you then Coleman has some 16' models with rear baths that are right at 3,000lbs.

yeah, Colman is the base model of TT but it's inexpensive and if you're not full timing then it's a good return on your $

Larry-D
Explorer
Explorer
We pull an Rpod with our Sahara.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
ScottnDana wrote:
My wife and I are looking to purchase a lite weight travel trailer in the 3000lb range,we will be using a jeep sahara to pull, has anyone got suggestions or favorites they might care to share. We are new to this experience, and welcome any and all advice.
Thx

Obviously, there are dozens of lightweight trailers our there. Best? By what standard? Price? Quality? Room? Resale? Suitability to dry camping? Those are just a few of the considerations. What are your planned usages? Children? Budget?

In other words, give us some more information if you want more than, "Buy one like mine" answers. Having said that, I would suggest looking at the small Jayco models. Light, easy to tow, two year warranty, Goodyear tires, available and with dealers nationwide.

GhostriderYYZ
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Geo Pro trailers by Rockwood. I just got a 19FBS, I like it, a lot.

roadrat2
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered a pop-up? In that weight you could get a large unit with a (fold up) toilet/ wet shower and have a decent sized awning out front. You'll also have space for guests or children.

The teardrop is also a nice option;albeit a little pricey.

Good luck. Whatever you choose, you'll love this stuff!
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT25SB
2006 F-350 6.0L

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
Very wise to watch the weight with your tow rig. Consider the activities you will be doing while camping with a Jeep when choosing a trailer. Biking, hiking, kayaking, dogs, cook outside/inside, do you need to haul gear etc?

Camplite CL11FK

A cool teardrop style ready to go:
IntechRV Luna

Forgot about the Winnebago Winnie Drop, that would do it too.
Winnie Drop brochure
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
Airstream Basecamp would look quite nice behind the Jeep.
2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
The best TT is the one with the floor plan you like.

Only you can decide on your priorities. The DW and I decided we wanted a bed you could exit without crawling over your spouse, a large bathroom, pantry and linen storage. I am sure others would think these unimportant.

Hybrid are an option for saving weight.

Still floor plan remains when all else is forgotten.

The direct answer to best smaller, lighter, TT is usually Airstream, Lance, Nash, and a few others plus the egg type such as Casita, Scamp etc.

You are smart to match the trailer to the tow vehicle. Many folks end up with a TT that overloads the tow vehicle.

Safe travels
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Escape Trailers made in Canada escapetrailer.com

There is also a fiberglassrv.com forum

Escapeforum.org

soon2bexpat
Explorer
Explorer
Check out hybrids. They can be light weight and roomy. I live full-time in a Kiwi 17A.
Kodachrome Time Machine, my vintage photo collection from the 1940s to the 1970s: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCff0z54NyAfuAjUST896l6g