cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bye bye, diesel, hello ecoBoost

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
Well, things change as you all know, and we decided to forego a fifth wheel, and keep the TT for a few more years, then probably get a motorhome. So, no need to keep the diesel. Don't get me wrong, I loved it! But I just retired, and am going to sell the commuter car, and use the new truck as my daily driver. DW will be working for another three years. Ok, here's the details; certified pre-owned 2016 F150 XLT, only 13k miles on the clock. Scab with 6 1/2 foot box, 3.5 ecoboost, 3:55 gears, 6 psd trans, max tow pkg. payload is 1843 lbs, GVWR is 7050. Can't wait to tow our Jayco with it, I'm sure it'll do fine. TT GVWR is 7600. Here she is-

Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze
27 REPLIES 27

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Good job, OP! The F-150 is a great truck and I wish you many happy miles with it.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
nohurry wrote:
Well, things change as you all know, and we decided to forego a fifth wheel, and keep the TT for a few more years, then probably get a motorhome. So, no need to keep the diesel. Don't get me wrong, I loved it! But I just retired, and am going to sell the commuter car, and use the new truck as my daily driver. DW will be working for another three years. Ok, here's the details; certified pre-owned 2016 F150 XLT, only 13k miles on the clock. Scab with 6 1/2 foot box, 3.5 ecoboost, 3:55 gears, 6 psd trans, max tow pkg. payload is 1843 lbs, GVWR is 7050. Can't wait to tow our Jayco with it, I'm sure it'll do fine. TT GVWR is 7600. Here she is-

EXACTLY the vehicle I've been looking for!! Where did you find it? We have a 2013 Jayco WhiteHawk 27DSRL with a GVWR of 7500 lbs and I sure don't need my one ton Ram diesel to tow it. Super Cab would be perfect cuz it's just me, the wife and the cat! :B That configuration in Super Cab is about nonexistent down here......

I wouldn't have minded a crew cab, but the crew cab with 6.5 box is even rarer! I was almost to the point of ordering new, but I just kept prayin, and searching dealer stock, and there it was. I couldn't get there fast enough, but I had to be coy. Don't wanna let the salesman know how bad you want something ya know! Just exactly what I wanted, and $13,000 less than the best price I could get on a new one! I'm as happy as a hog in slop! Good luck in your search Thomas.
Carl

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
nohurry wrote:

EXACTLY the vehicle I've been looking for!! Where did you find it? We have a 2013 Jayco WhiteHawk 27DSRL with a GVWR of 7500 lbs and I sure don't need my one ton Ram diesel to tow it. Super Cab would be perfect cuz it's just me, the wife and the cat! :B That configuration in Super Cab is about nonexistent down here......

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta love that payload! I have two buddies - one with a very similar F150 that has 1800# payload. The other with Ram 1500 loaded to the gills with 1071# payload. Ironically, Ram buddy has a bigger TT (and is totally overloaded).

mordecai81
Explorer
Explorer
Those Ford mirrors are great! I can't imagine towing without them. We have a 14 Ecoboost and it has been a great x-country towing machine. Enjoy!

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! You'll love the EB and the color, it stays looking nice even when it's not super clean. Both my Explorer and our commuter Fusion (with the smaller EB) are that color. Tried to get the husband to get the truck in that color too, but they're hard to find 🙂
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
1320Fastback wrote:
ppine wrote:
There is a definite move toward smaller and lighter.
The cost of newer trucks, even used ones is intimidating.
I am keeping my diesel even though it is 16 years old.

16 isnt old 😉

I have been thinking of getting a newer truck alot lately but for now I am still loving No Smog Check, no def, no sensors, no computer, manual trans and the mpg loaded and unloaded. All the niceties of a newer truck would sure be nice though!

Yeah, don't go drive one. Luxury, and power all in one package. Today's trucks are just so nice to drive, especially on long trips.
Carl

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:

16 isnt old 😉

I have been thinking of getting a newer truck alot lately but for now I am still loving No Smog Check, no def, no sensors, no computer, manual trans and the mpg loaded and unloaded. All the niceties of a newer truck would sure be nice though!
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice truck! That Ecoboost sure does seem like a great option! 1800 lbs payload and low rpm towing... not bad at all!!!

Can the F150 be flat towed behind your eventual motorhome? I always get a kick out of seeing motorhomes towing a pickup truck with either a golf cart or motorcycle in the bed of the pickup! While I don't envision a motorhome in our future, it is cool to see how creative people can be when they try to bring as many toys as possible!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
The mirrors. Oh yeah, I had to have the towing/extending mirrors. If I had found a truck that was otherwise what I wanted, I would have purchased them, and had them installed. Unfortunately they are manual extend/fold. That's one thing I'll miss, but it's certainly better than having to use clip-ons. It's unbelievable on Ford's part that these mirrors are an add on option, and don't come on any tow package.
Carl

soren
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
Great choice.

A friend of mine bought the same truck except blue, with the max tow/payload package. Would you believe---it did NOT have a brake controller built in??? And it has the small mirrors. That is pretty lame on the part of Ford.

Those were either special order mirrors from Ford, or added later.

Last new 1500 pickup I bought was amazingly hard to find. I found a ton of inventory equipped with every towing option on the list, but the majority had tiny little mirrors. I finally drove 350 miles away to get exactly what I wanted, at a huge dealer that had a whole row of them, with towing mirrors. A few weeks later I'm at the local gas station, and the local dealer salesman (that I tried to buy from) told me he liked the truck. I then told him to take a look at the FACTORY mirrors he claimed were unavailable.

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
The F150 Ecoboost is a great driving truck. Never towed with one but they say they have plenty of power. I drove one and being a half ton, they ride great. My 2500HD Duramax rides terrible by comparison.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Great choice.

A friend of mine bought the same truck except blue, with the max tow/payload package. Would you believe---it did NOT have a brake controller built in??? And it has the small mirrors. That is pretty lame on the part of Ford.

Those were either special order mirrors from Ford, or added later.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board