cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to RV'ing, many questions

Chargenrse
Explorer
Explorer
I am researching and planning a cross country trip from Florida to the West Coast. I would need to rent and RV since buying is not an option, but am curious if anyone can help me decide whether a type A or C would be the better option? We are a family of 5 with the youngest being 18. We want to stop in Las Vegas, LA, San Fran, Portland, Seattle and then maybe hitting Colorado on the way back to Florida. Is this possible in two to three weeks? How many days in each? Any information would be much appreciated.
34 REPLIES 34

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
Chargenrse wrote:
Thanks again for the info, as for being to the west coast I have lived in Northern California and Aspen Colorado when I was a teen, so I know how large the area is, my family though, especially my husband has never been west. I wanted to show them what I love about the West coast, but after reading everything I realize I was living a fantasy dream lol. I am interested in maybe flying to the west coast and then renting an RV once there to just go up the west coast. Any other info and ideas would be great. Also I would actually like to do this trip right before summer in the spring actually.

This is how we do it now. We have done the 6,000 mile cross-country RV trip with two kids, 12 & 14. It took us 6 weeks and it was the highlight of our life! The thought of trying to pack it all into 2-3 weeks is daunting. I'm just not into driving flat-out for days on end, seeing America from the front seat of my rig.

We spent 2 weeks in Washington last fall. We toyed with the idea of making it a cross-country CAR trip (we have a Prius.) But in the end, neither of us felt interested in driving for several weeks. Instead, we flew to Seattle, rented a car, and then drove to all the places we wanted to see. It was a great way to see the PNW and when we returned to Georgia we weren't worn out from all the driving.
"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Two or three weeks cross country? Your talking about 5 thousand miles minimum! You realize your talking about more than 230 miles each and every day dont you? Do you really want to see the country thru the windshield?
Simply NOT practical. You would be better off flying cross country, rent say in LV explore for 18 days, drop the MH and fly back to FL.
Time of year for this adventure are important. LV in August will be unbearably HOT.

Just did exactly this trip last year, Ohio to Whitesands NM, up through grand canyon and Bryce/Zion and on to Tetons/Yellowstone and home via Black Hills and Badlands. 3 weeks, 5,200 miles and a lifetime of memories for my kids and my niece. We did it in a crewcab pickup towing an 18' travel trailer, no monster RV needed and nobody was overly wiped out other than the day we drove from the Petrified Forest to Kaibab National Forest, but that's because we spent all day out in the sun and then I had to drive through mountains in the dark.

Exactly! We once did a 7100 mile trip in about 3 1/2 weeks. And we had a great time and made many memories with the children.

Of course, we'd love to have more time and take things a little slower. But, we still work and have many demands on our vacation days. So, we do the best we can and have fun.

If we are fortunate enough to be able to travel in our retirement years we will slow down and smell the roses a little more. But for now, getting out with the family is far more important than slowing down.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
SheCamper wrote:
When I was a kid in the 70s, we took 2 week camping trips every summer. ................. True, things are a lot different now than back then...but don't think it can't be done.

:)) ... and we did it without air conditioning. I remember the hot air from the open windows as we crossed the Plains to the western mountains.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

SheCamper
Explorer
Explorer
I'm coming in to this conversation a little late, but I just wanted to add this. When I was a kid in the 70s, we took 2 week camping trips every summer. At first with a station wagon and trailer, then a 30 ft motorhome. We started out in northwest Ohio, and a few times went up thru Michigan, across Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Idaho and eastern Washington then back thru Idaho, Wyoming, South Dakota, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, and back to Ohio. I remember having a great time. My parents didn't seem exhausted. They were probably in their late 30s early 40s. Dad woke us up at 7 am and we stopped about dinner time. Wonderful memories. My Dad researched free things to do and places to camp, and planned his route. True, things are a lot different now than back then...but don't think it can't be done.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 wrote:
Two or three weeks cross country? Your talking about 5 thousand miles minimum! You realize your talking about more than 230 miles each and every day dont you? Do you really want to see the country thru the windshield?
Simply NOT practical. You would be better off flying cross country, rent say in LV explore for 18 days, drop the MH and fly back to FL.
Time of year for this adventure are important. LV in August will be unbearably HOT.

Just did exactly this trip last year, Ohio to Whitesands NM, up through grand canyon and Bryce/Zion and on to Tetons/Yellowstone and home via Black Hills and Badlands. 3 weeks, 5,200 miles and a lifetime of memories for my kids and my niece. We did it in a crewcab pickup towing an 18' travel trailer, no monster RV needed and nobody was overly wiped out other than the day we drove from the Petrified Forest to Kaibab National Forest, but that's because we spent all day out in the sun and then I had to drive through mountains in the dark.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
I have 3 adult children (that's right, a family of 5 just like the OP, although my youngest is 24 instead of 18), 1 is married, the other 2 engaged. All work fulltime and support themselves. All of them (as well as their spouse/fiances, and my grandson) also camp with us often in our MH along with a tent or two. A 3 week family vacation sounds great.

Unfortunately, Chargnrse, I also think your plan is way too ambitious. You will end up spending a fortune on RV rental and fuel, spend all of your time driving, and be too tired and stressed to enjoy any of the sights or locations. That means you will also be cooped up in a small enclosed area for many, many hours every day during that drive time. You'll be at each other's throats by the end of day 7, trust me.

The idea of flying out west, then renting an RV for the area, and then flying back is much more doable, and will be much more enjoyable for all involved. Likely even be cheaper to boot.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

BadgerMcAdams
Explorer
Explorer
Chargnrse, I would like to apologize for the attitudes and comments of some of the posters on this site. It appears that many of them have forgotten that they were once new to the RV'ing culture.

Please don't take offense at their attempts to belittle or ridicule you over your lack of knowledge. They have forgotten about the times their similar lack of knowledge led them down the wrong path, or caused them to bite off more than they could chew.

Do not let their attitudes lead you to believe that everyone who frequents this site are Elitist Snobs who look down on anyone who dares to be new to this hobby and step foot into their Royal Realm. You asked a simple question and were treated as if you had demanded they give you the keys to their RV and gas & food money as well...

Have fun on your trip no matter what you decide to do...These are memories that you and your family will never forget, and will regret not making if you decide not to go.

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
One thought about multiple drivers, there can be age restrictions to who can legally drive a rental vehicle. Anyone under 21 certainly may not be acceptable to a rental company as a driver.............. Hope you figure this all out and have a wonderful trip!!!

jth442
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Chargenrse,

It sounds like you may have decided against your original plan.
It would be an ambitious plan. But you could do it with 3 weeks, especially with multiple drivers.
Last summer, we took our maiden voyage with our Class C. 5500 miles from central TX up to Glacier, Seattle, Portland and back. I was the only driver. Yeah, you cannot get to your destination as fast as a passenger vehicle, but you can rack up some miles if you are willing. I will say that the last 3 or 4 days of our 3 week trip were hard. My limit by then was about 400 miles a day. Earlier, in the trip, I was doing 500-600.
It sounds like most people do not enjoy this type of pace. That would be up to you, but it is definitely possible.
Hope you make the best decision.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Chargenrse wrote:
Thanks again for the info, as for being to the west coast I have lived in Northern California and Aspen Colorado when I was a teen, so I know how large the area is, my family though, especially my husband has never been west. I wanted to show them what I love about the West coast, but after reading everything I realize I was living a fantasy dream lol. I am interested in maybe flying to the west coast and then renting an RV once there to just go up the west coast. Any other info and ideas would be great. Also I would actually like to do this trip right before summer in the spring actually.

Chargenrse,

I think flying out makes more sense with your time restraints. The other issue is driving to see the sites if you are not renting a car along with the RV. In my opinion, renting a class C would be better to see the sites size-wise than a class A. The sleeping arrangements in the C would be more accommodating unless you will be using sleeping bags in the class A.

We rented 3 times before we purchased, first was a class C then two class A's. (only two people in our group). The California highways can limit the length of your rental RV. We did drive up part of highway 1 along the coast in a 31 ft. class C, anything bigger would not work well and could be illegal.

The Sequoia and Redwood National Forests are amazing. Keep in mind that RV rental companies have mileage restrictions and the costs go up exponentially when you go over the 'set' mileage for your rental term. Back in 2006 with our last rental, the 38 ft. class A costs us about $350 a day. We also bought a 'camping' package that included dishes, utensils, pots and pans, etc.

If you are planning the trip this year, the State Parks most likely will be full with reservations that were made months and months ago. If this trip is for next year, you are starting at the right time but you have to get busy and get your trip planned out and make reservations in the strategic areas!

Good luck, you and your family will have a blast!
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
If you have never spent time in a RV I would start with a long weekend to see how you like it and have a better idea of what it is like and what you would need.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Since you want to show your family the beauty of the West I really suggest you skip the big cities and concentrate on the beauty of the national parks. Since it seems you live in Florida you have the ocean so even though the west coastline is beautiful and different from Florida I'd recommend for your first and hopefully not your last big trip to visit other types of places. They would be in awe at the gorgeous parks of southern Utah and the Grand Canyon in Arizona. In Texas there's Big Bend Nat'l Park, also.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
Many Easterners have no concept as to how big the West is.

I've driven from Pennsylvania to California. And from Oak Harbor, Washington to San Francisco. I didn't think we were ever going to get there, yep it's big. 🙂

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
That is am ambitious trip. RVs are not designed to be driven at 70 miles an hour or more. 50 MPH travel speed takes ion to account the slowdown on hills and a few rest/lunch stop.

As a Seattle area resident I will tell you the city is NOT RV friendly for any size RV. There are zero RV parks in Seattle and the closest are a ways out requiring time in traffic to get into the city. Seattle is a wonderful place to visit just not for big rigs.

You will be spending a lot of time looking at freeways whizzing by to do this trip as laid out. I would suggest reducing the miles and planning to spend seeing places with time to relax and do more in depth. RVing is wonderful but not so much for driving for miles with people peering out side windows.

I wish you a wonderful trip regardless of what you do. Those mileage charges can really add up so be sure to know what your trip costs will be. Summer time reservations are a must and National parks require booking VERY early!! Happy Trails