cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

advice Rt. 101 CA.

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
Going from Crater Lake Oregon to Rt. 199 to 101 in Ca.to the Redwoods National Park then down to San Jose and over to Yosemite. My questions are is this an RV friendly route. See rig in my sig. Best way around San Fran to San Jose? Best route from San Jose to Yosemite?
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.
13 REPLIES 13

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to consider, other than the traffic issues through SF on 101 is the toll to get into SF from the Golden Gate Bridge: it's currently $31 for a 4 axle vehicle, and there are NO toll collectors on the bridge - they take a photo of your license plate, then track you to your home address and send you a bill. If you miss receiving that bill then they start adding penalties to the bill.

If you head east over the Richmond/San Rafael bridge you don't pay a toll, and you can then drive down the east bay on I880 into San Jose - but you still deal with traffic.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

Willcamp4
Explorer
Explorer
Were it me....I have driven all the route before, at different times, while towing my 30 Ft Fifth Wheel, but I recognize that yours is longer. Here is what I would say. On 199 in California there is about a 15 mile section that has some sharp curves and is narrow. If memory serves there is a 30 foot KPRA length restriction which you might just meet. 101 is a good tow all the way to the Bay Area, but unless you like towing on narrow city streets in heavy traffic you might want to go around the north bay then get on I680 the rest of the way into San Jose. Going into Yosemite you can backtrack North from San Jose on 680 to 580 then take 580/205/5/120 into the park. Again 120 is narrow and curvy in places and might have a 30 Foot restrictin. You can find more information from Caltrans.
Willcamp4
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty, Crew Cab, Lariat, 6.7L PSTD, Air Lift rear suspension.
Alpenlite Valhalla Limited Fifth Wheel, two Solar panels, four six-volt batteries, two Honda EU2000i generators

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I am a little different!
I would cut over to CA-1 at Willits and go down it.
Get back on US 101 to cross Golden Gate Bridge, then just south of bridge turn off on CA-1.
Yes, congestion through portion of Frisco but great scenery.

Depending on the hour and day of the week take 101 to the 580 ( Richman/Rafael bridge) to the east bay then the 880 to the 101.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
It appears that the OP has a 38' 5th wheel. Hwy 1 is not recommended. Hwy 101 is more suited for him. If he doesn't have a destination of San Jose (like visiting family or whatever) then to avoid San Francisco traffic he could take 101 south to Hwy 20 to I-5 or go further south on 101 to Santa Rosa and pick up 12/29 (Napa) or go to Novato and take 37 east toward Napa and heading to I-80 to I-5. We've done all those routes with our 40' motorhome. If the OP wants to tour San Francisco, stay in Novato and drive to the Larkspur ferry taking it across the Bay ending at the Ferry Building Marketplace where he can board a small van for an awesome tour of the city, across the Golden Gate and have lunch in Sausalito. It's a very convenient way to see the city.

https://www.sanfranshuttletours.com/
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
diazr2 wrote:
F-TROUP wrote:
Like said if you aren't doing anything in San Jose, I'd leave Redwood NP take 101 down to 299 to Redding then I5 to 140.
X2
x3. I don't drive through the San Francisco bay area, even in just a car, unless I absolutely cannot avoid it.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
CA 1 between Leggett and Fort Brag use to have length restrictions.
Doubt whether it is a problem. Just looked it is for 30 feet king pin to rear axle. Road is definitly crooked.
Closure is down by San Luis Obispo. Farther south then OP is currently going.
Caltrans restrictions
I know it is for trucks! It gives some idea as to what highways are like.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
what part of calif 1 is closed to traffic due to a land slide??

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
enblethen wrote:

Why not make the cut over at Leggett?
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I am a little different!
Get back on US 101 to cross Golden Gate Bridge, then just south of bridge turn off on CA-1.
Yes, congestion through portion of Frisco but great scenery.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
F-TROUP wrote:
Like said if you aren't doing anything in San Jose, I'd leave Redwood NP take 101 down to 299 to Redding then I5 to 140.
X2

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
199 is crooked near the CA end. It is well traveled by RVs and trucks

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

older_fossil
Explorer
Explorer
I assume you have a reason to stop in San Jose, otherwise you could avoid the Bay area altogether. I'd recommend avoiding downtown San Francisco. Coming south on the 101, we usually head east on 37->I80->I780->I680. From San Jose, I'd likely take the 101 down to Gilroy and take the 152 over to the central valley and head towards Merced and then 140 into Yosemite.
Art & Barbara
2016 Tiffin AB 37AP
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee