cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TC ???

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
I really want an Arctic Fox 990. I have a Ram 2500 and if i went with Toyo 18in i can get to 8000 on axles. Weighed the truck today and full fuel, me and wife and **** normally in truck and was 3300 on rear, 5300 frt. I assume with the camper that the tailgate and bumper would be removed and i could move the spare up front. I still need some room for toungue weight. I am not against a dually but i have only had this truck a year and a half. Trying to make sense of it all.
16 REPLIES 16

Bedlam
nevadanick wrote:
Isn't that in Wells ?

It was. I decided to top off fuel in case the weather delayed our trip farther north but it was clear sailing after leaving Nevada.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
nevadanick wrote:
I assume with the camper that the tailgate and bumper would be removed

Remove tail gate, yes.
Remove bumper from truck, no.

990 fits fine on long bed trucks.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

JD5150
Explorer
Explorer
I carried a big 4500lbs camper on my 2500hd short bed duramax. I had super springs, ride rite air bags, big wig sway bar, 19.5's. CG was an inch behind the rear axle. It surprisingly handled it fine but you could feel the front steering while driving over bumps in the road a little squirrely from being an inch behind. Stopping power sucked. I left a lot of space between me and the car in front of me. Sold the TC for what I paid for it because it had a leak and bought a fifth wheel. I did not lose or gain a dime on it. I Still want another TC but I doubt I will go that heavy and I will make sure I don't go behind the rear axle either on the next one :B

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Figure about 4500lbs for the camper. It’s doable with your truck, suspension mods and good tires or 19.5s (all weight cop comments/concerns aside), EXCEPT for the coil spring rear.
I’ve not experienced but have heard from more than 1 person that a heavy, high CG load like a truck camper is a handful with coils.
If you’d said 3500srw or older model 2500 with leafs I’d be more optimistic about it.
Regarding air ride, you don’t want the 2500 air ride for that weight. They die right about 4000lbs. 3500 air bag assist would work though.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:
The guy has more stuff in it than my house. He said he has weights for lifting. Researching Dually already as my boat and trailer are approx 7500 lbs and i also have an enclosed trailer that varies from 4-8 k. By the time i add tounge weights i will need it.

He has his weights but he also has a empty fresh water tank. That water tank full is a lot more then his weights.

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a newer model Ram 2500 that means you have the coil spring suspension.
The coils are mounted farther inboard than leaf springs making it less stable for a heavy TC.
I would Not want to want to drive a 2500 with that camper. Get the DRW I guarantee you won’t regret it.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone know if a Ram Laramie has air suspension or is it an option ? Had a dlr send me info on 2 they have and the lower trim has a pkg that includes rear air suspension but cant see if Laramie does. Dont know if it would matter though. I wil go there next week and look at them.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't that in Wells ?

Bedlam
BTW: This is my memory of Elko in May 2014

Bedlam
My F250 rear axle weight empty was 2750 lbs and 7000 lbs once we were in the truck and my AF811 was on the back. When I hitched up my 8000 lb enclosed trailer on a 28" SuperTruss and 10,000 lb WDH, the rear axle weight was closer to 8000 lbs.

Your truck's empty rear is about 500 lbs heavier than mine and the camper you want is about 500 lbs heavier than mine. I expect you will be close to 9000 lbs on the rear axle once everything is loaded and hitched.

You could still do this with the current truck's 10,000 lb AAM axle using 245/70R19.5 LRH PR16 tires and Rickson or American Force rims, but Vision rims are rated for 4500 lbs each and would be too close to their maximum to spend all that money.

JD5150
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:
The guy has more stuff in it than my house. He said he has weights for lifting. Researching Dually already as my boat and trailer are approx 7500 lbs and i also have an enclosed trailer that varies from 4-8 k. By the time i add tounge weights i will need it.

Lol yeah I forgot about that he was carrying his workout weights. He is living in it fulltime too.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer

JD5150
Explorer
Explorer
Taylor just weighed is 990 two days ago. 5115 pounds loaded with his stuff, without fresh water but with some gray water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tsBeJPmfvc

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
You'll need a rear suspension upgrade along with tires/wheels. If you aren't against a DRW, it would probably be better in the long run to go that route. You'll lose money on the tire/wheel swap. Even if the 18 tires are rated at 4000, the wheels probably aren't.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member