cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rough freeways.

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
For all you experienced travelers which state has the roughest freeways? I haven't been in every state but many of them and I vote California.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !
49 REPLIES 49

Sultan1966
Explorer
Explorer
Whatโ€™s a freeway...we have Ez Pass and Sun Pass etc., up and down the east coast and neither is a โ€œfreewayโ€. Either way I am getting 10 new Koni FSD shocks at the end of the month... and just put 10 Michelin (Made in Italy) Energy 2 295x80Rx22.5 tires on throw those potholes my way. Lol.
2008 Monaco Dynasty Renaissance IV with Cummins 425hp ISL (Louie) with 2005 Chevrolet Silverado (Roscoe) with Golf Cart in back (Forrest Gump).
Wife, I and our two dogs are Full-Timers

TANDDANDBIGE
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
Another that comes to mind is I-88 from Binghampton NY to Albany. The legend is that some NY state senator had the road built to cut down on his commute.

I'm a right laner on a 2 lane road. I stay out of the left lane unless someone in front of me is very slow. On I-88 east. I stayed in the left lane until I saw someone come up behind me, then I moved over. This hurt a lot less than traveling in the right lane on this particular stretch of road.

Double ditto on I-10 east of Breaux Bridge LA.

I have driven in the left lane many-a-mile due to the chewed up sections of the slower right lane of many freeways while driving our coach and towing. Much of I-40 west of Flagstaff was really, really bad for years up until recently. I drove in the left lane for several miles on that section. Now, it's been drastically improve so, I can drive where I belong.

And yes, like you, I keep my eye on the road behind me. If a faster driver is approaching even in the right lane, I move over and allow for them to pass in the lane they're supposed to pass in. I do not stay in that left lane, if there's much traffic in my direction.
Scott

did that left lane driving on I-59, but if they are coming up in the right lane, I just stay put in the left. no reason to make them change their lane.
bumpy

We drove the I40west of Flagstaff last year about this time heading to Kingman; yes , one of the worst I have driven, even worse than most in Ca. If it got better over the summer, I would like to know. TB
2002 HR ENDEAVOR 40'
2007 FORD EDGE TOAD

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Bad Weather?? Bull! Montana and Nevada have good roads and they get some bad weather. Mountain Home Nv in particular.

jfskeet
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with one of the first posters, George Washington Bridge in NY. I tried to by pass it and go Newburgh bridge over into Ct. But they closed ramp to 287 and was forced over GW, roughest road I ever been on and to top it off cost $84 .
Jeff & Kathy
2018 Tiffin 34PA
Honda CRV Toad

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
In the fifties when the plans for the National Interstate Highway was being planned, the engineering standards were much different than the ones used in new construction today.

An example is in 1933 the Field Act was passed in California, it set the earthquake construction standards for public schools. Today we can't build a pump house in the farm lands using those standards. In the fifties the 4"x4" diesel engings couldn't haul 80,000 pound payloads. Today's semi's can haul a lot more than that.

Old standards for trucks hauling lighter loads and lower speed limits are in a large part responsible for rapid deterioration of our highways today.

I you want to hear my opinion about why California's highways and freeways and state highways and public streets are irreparable, PM me and we can talk about the time A Giant Turkey stopped all highway maintenance in CA.

Furthermore, when a State petitions for Federal monies for repair of streets and highways, the Feds do not fund "IMPROVEMENTS", a state has to put back what was there, they are not allowed to use federal funds for improvements unless, they receive an improvement "GRANT". Never heard about one of those did you.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
When Brown makes California a country of it's own the roads should get better.
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
While many of our roads nationwide are rough, the scariest I was ever on was in Southern Missouri...I cannot recall exactly where as we were off the beaten path just seeing the country after spending time in Branson. We went through a smallish town and had to cross a river on a bridge that was fairly high above the water. It was so narrow that I'm glad I did not meet a large truck or another motorhome coming from the opposite direction. The bridge was in such bad condition, that parts of the safety railing were gone or hanging over the side and there were literally holes through the entire deck thickness such that we could see completely through them to the water far below. Those were basically right at the edge of the bridge, but with it being so narrow, I had to hug the centerline to keep away from them and it certainly made me wonder exactly what I was driving on.

How something like that stays open to traffic is beyond me.

My understanding is that just grinding away an old blacktop surface and resurfacing a two-lane with shoulders costs approximately $1M per mile. At least that's what our county people tell us. At that rate, I can see how the many millions of federal funding can seem like a lot of money spent, but taking into consideration the milage of bad roads to be covered across the US those funds are but a drop in the bucket of what is needed to get our infrastructure back into the shape it should be.
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the holes in the California freeways makes think the dug the hole to bury a horse but forgot to bury it. I've learned one thing from all the posts, I'm gonna start driving in the left lane more when necessary.
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

AlaskaShooter
Explorer
Explorer
Where does all that gas tax money GO? And they want to increase it and several states want to start charging by the mile driven to increase the top level officials retirement income. I smell skunks in the wood pile.

By the time the funds trickle down to the actual workers who are tasked with trying to keep things patched and paved there isn't enough to accomplish the monumental task of keeping infastructor in good condition.

Last time I was back east on I-90 there were pot holes the size of garbage cans on the interstate.
2006 F-550, Crew cab, 4x4 w/factory bed getting 12 mpg @ 50,000 miles
2006 Lance 1191
2006 Wells Cargo 14' Cycle Wagon
2017 Grand Design 5th wheel with EezTire TPMS
2017 F-450 4x4 crew cab King Ranch

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
We traveled through 19 states last year in our 5 month trip. Michigan was #1. As a former Michigander, born and bred, but have lived in Florida for the past 32 years, it does not make me happy to say that, because we have to drive those roads at least once a year visiting family. However, there were several other states that were terrible. Of the 19 states, I would say there were 7-8 states that were good. All these bad roads leads me to the question of what happened to all the billions of dollars the government spent in 2009, 2010 stimulus packages for the countries infrastructure with all the "shovel ready" jobs?
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
Another that comes to mind is I-88 from Binghampton NY to Albany. The legend is that some NY state senator had the road built to cut down on his commute.

I'm a right laner on a 2 lane road. I stay out of the left lane unless someone in front of me is very slow. On I-88 east. I stayed in the left lane until I saw someone come up behind me, then I moved over. This hurt a lot less than traveling in the right lane on this particular stretch of road.

I have driven in the left lane many-a-mile due to the chewed up sections of the slower right lane of many freeways while driving our coach and towing. Much of I-40 west of Flagstaff was really, really bad for years up until recently. I drove in the left lane for several miles on that section. Now, it's been drastically improve so, I can drive where I belong.

And yes, like you, I keep my eye on the road behind me. If a faster driver is approaching even in the right lane, I move over and allow for them to pass in the lane they're supposed to pass in. I do not stay in that left lane, if there's much traffic in my direction.
Scott

did that left lane driving on I-59, but if they are coming up in the right lane, I just stay put in the left. no reason to make them change their lane.
bumpy

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:

Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

JupiterRT
Explorer
Explorer
I26 thru South Carolina

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
I-75 through Georgia. Unless it's been fixed since the last time I went that way. Also I-10 from Florida to Texas.