cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Perfect Camping Coffee

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
We've been searching high and low for the best method to brew a perfect cup of camping coffee while boondocking, without using any electricity whatsoever, and we've finally found it! No generator, no battery/inverter use, and cleanup is a breeze using little to no water:

*** Link Removed ***
Grand Adventure: YouTube.com/GrandAdventure | GrandAdventure.tv
Cottonwood Heights, UT
2016 Evo by Forest River T2050
2014 Toyota Tacoma SR 5.7L V8
Days camped: 2017 - 66 |2018 - 136
45 REPLIES 45

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I do have a serious question, however, who determined that 190 degrees is the perfect temperature for brewing coffee and what objective testing methodology was used?
Actually the temperature depends on the type of coffe, type of brewing, and how you like your coffee. If you're doing espresso then you'll want a higher temperature: closer to 210 degrees. Also French Press coffee will need to have boiling water, 212 degrees, to properly get the most from your French Press. It needs to be hotter because it cools down pretty quickly.

Mostly 190-200 degrees has been arrived at by trial and error. It's what tends to get the most flavor out of the beans without cause excess acidity.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
tatest wrote:
People get caught up in coffee making tech, forgetting how the beverage was prepared for hundreds of years.

Would make a great movie. The Starbuck's generation goes camping.

Starbuck generation?

Drank cowboy coffee for years.
Drank percolated coffee for years.
Drip coffee, Moka Pot, etc.
Experimented until we found what worked best for us.

Cowboys traditionally herded cattle when they drank their Arbuckle coffee.... Do you only prepare the beef you eat one way?:)
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I do have a serious question, however, who determined that 190 degrees is the perfect temperature for brewing coffee and what objective testing methodology was used?

It depends on the brewing method. Too cold, and you don't extract the flavor. Too hot (i.e. boiling) and you actually burn the coffee.
Cottonwood Heights, UT

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
With this thread and a few others thrown in, my early morning chuckles are guaranteed. There are almost as many perfect ways to brew coffee as there are models of RVs. Some enterprising Senior Member should organize an International Symposium on making the perfect cup of coffee. Of course there would have to be several of them held, one for percolators with and without the pump and basket, of course that would require it include with and without the use of electric pots, one for the TRUE(someone mentioned that sometime in the past) FRENCH PRESS, one with hand ground beans, one with electric ground beans, one on temperature...

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
tatest wrote:
People get caught up in coffee making tech, forgetting how the beverage was prepared for hundreds of years.

LOL! It's been done:
IFHT Films - "My First Time Camping" - YouTube
Cottonwood Heights, UT

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
When camping, we just use a cowboy pot over the campfire.

In a RV, your options expand. I would use a filter system with water heated on the propane stove or campfire, because that takes less time than a percolator.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Sheesh doesn't anyone use a simple stovetop perculator anymore?

We did for 16 years of boondocking. It makes awesome coffee!! All these other gadgets require heating water and putzing with the device. Put everything in a perculator and enjoy!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
SAR Tracker wrote:

Me too.. this.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Okie,
I was on a dinner cruise last fall on Lake Tahoe near my house, and I ran into Kent Rollins and his lovely wife. He is a gentleman and a great chuck wagon cook. I have been cooking with Dutch Ovens for 40 years and making "cowboy coffee" the whole time. A percolator works fine, just throw away everything but the pot and the lid.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, this one. Sheesh doesn't anyone use a simple stovetop perculator anymore?
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

westend
Explorer
Explorer
OkieGene wrote:
Kent Rollins Coffee. Take it from Kent Rollins, the cowboy cook, poet, and all around great guy.

He has an old 1880-something Studebaker wagon, just search Kent Rollins on YouTube, and look for Cowboy Coffee. Doesn't get any simpler or better or cheaper.

Do this EXACTLY as he says and people will be amazed at your coffee. Do NOT vary. It won't be bitter or acidic. Just make sure you use the appropriate amount if grounds to water ratio. He's also got tons of cast iron and Dutch oven cooking videos.

https://youtu.be/tq7Si7cp2jM

Yup, I've seen some of Kent's cast iron pan tricks. I've been making "Cowboy Coffee" for years. There's no simpler way to make a good cup of coffee.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:
Thats quite a long process,,
good thing I dont drink cofee..
I drink milk or juice.. ๐Ÿ™‚

LOL! We coffee nuts sometimes go to great lengths.
Cottonwood Heights, UT

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Thats quite a long process,,
good thing I dont drink cofee..
I drink milk or juice.. ๐Ÿ™‚