cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to get outlet/power strip next to bed???

darleyhavidson
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, unfortunately since I have Sleep Apnea, I have to carry my CPAP machine around everywhere I go. I could not bring it camping, but the wife doesn't like it when I snore or when I stop breathing for an extended period of time. :E

With that said, she doesn't want to give up her side of the bed that has the power outlet next to the head of the bed that I would use to power the CPAP.

So, I need to figure out the best way to run an extension cord or power strip from the wall at the foot of the bed to the head of the bed. I am looking for something that is low profile and won't cause a tripping hazard.

I will post pictures for perspective in a bit. Any practical advice or experience would be appreciated.

dh

Click For Full-Size Image.

41 REPLIES 41

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
I would just run an extension cord from the existing outlet. The trailer is a destination trailer so guessing you are on a seasonal site or land you own so how often if ever would the slide get closed.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

darleyhavidson
Explorer
Explorer
TKW wrote:
TurnThePage wrote:
Just to add to the confusion, the newer CPAPs are no longer 12v as far as I know. I did a test run on one last year, it was 24v. I inquired. They said they were all going that way.

I have been using CPAP for years. Yes, the newer ones are 24V but you can always buy a 12V DC power supply from the manufacturer. In the old days, it's just a cigarette lighter cord to plug in the machine. The newer ones comes with a brick (believe it's a small inverter) with a 12V plug at the input end. It also provides a cable with two battery clamps for hooking up to a 12V car battery directly.

I know how it is sleeping on the wrong side of the bed. It just doesn't feel right. My one & only 12V outlet in my TT is at the bedroom ceiling at the wrong side of the bed. When boondocking, I have to switch side with DW so that the power cord doesn't dangle across the bedroom. Adding a 12V outlet to my side of bed is slowly floating to the top of "TO Do LIST" and I have one on order arriving next week. I am all thumbs when it comes to electrical stuff. Wish me luck!

Good luck. Your plight is appreciated. Turns out my CPAP is not 12 volt capable. I hope to have a better sense of what needs to be done in a few days. The camper is parked 3 hours away, so I will need to make a road trip to determine what supplies I will need to make it work (as a permanent solution). In the interim, I will have to use a long cord power strip.

TKW
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
Just to add to the confusion, the newer CPAPs are no longer 12v as far as I know. I did a test run on one last year, it was 24v. I inquired. They said they were all going that way.

I have been using CPAP for years. Yes, the newer ones are 24V but you can always buy a 12V DC power supply from the manufacturer. In the old days, it's just a cigarette lighter cord to plug in the machine. The newer ones comes with a brick (believe it's a small inverter) with a 12V plug at the input end. It also provides a cable with two battery clamps for hooking up to a 12V car battery directly.

I know how it is sleeping on the wrong side of the bed. It just doesn't feel right. My one & only 12V outlet in my TT is at the bedroom ceiling at the wrong side of the bed. When boondocking, I have to switch side with DW so that the power cord doesn't dangle across the bedroom. Adding a 12V outlet to my side of bed is slowly floating to the top of "TO Do LIST" and I have one on order arriving next week. I am all thumbs when it comes to electrical stuff. Wish me luck!
2002 Chevy 1500HD Crew Cab, 6.0l
2013 Timber Ridge 240RBS
Prodigy Brake Controller

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
darleyhavidson wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Not sure why this is so difficult. Why can't you just plug an extension cord into the outlet at her side of the bed and run it under the mattress to your side of the bed?

The bed is located in the slide out. The slide out covers the outlet on her side when closed. So to prevent any accidents/damage. I am not running a cord under the mattress and plugging it into the outlet. I am not going to risk someone closing the slide with the cord in the way.

Thanks for your feedback.

Honestly, this is similar to what I would do. Only instead of under the mattress, I'd drill 2 holes in the bed base and put one of those round things in to keep it from being an abrasive edge.

Unplugging from that outlet would just be part of the checklist of travel-ready items.

On my last rig, we had outlets on both sides and both were in the wall beside the slideout. In hundreds of moves, it was never an issue to unplug items from them.

If that's not kosher, then you could likely run from the outlet above the dresser and go down into the under belly, across the room and drill a new hole through the floor for the end of the extension cord to come up. You'd need a significantly longer extension cord AND it seems like a lot of work for a temporary solution.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want the "best way" as per the title, the best way would be to run new wiring totally concealed inside interior partitions, via ceiling cavity, in cavities in cabinetry, etc. I've installed tons (exaggeration perhaps) of various wiring types all 100% concealed all over our TT - front to back. Takes some patience and forethought. But if you're not a handyman type may not be for you.

You'll want to connect to existing 120 or 12 volt wiring already present in the slide otherwise adding it to a slide isn't a simple project. I think most CPAP's are 12 volts?

Never, ever run a 120 volt extension cord under a mattress or carpet, in a wall, etc. They are not designed and rated for that and you *could* potentially end up with an overheated cord and a fire, esp. with a light 16 gauge one.

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I have to second not running a extension under a mattress. Fire hazard. I still remember the smoke from a house behind us. Cause: extension under mattress. The resident was a fireman on the local dept...

Be careful with a wire through a closet or storage area for the same reason.
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

westend
Explorer
Explorer
darleyhavidson wrote:
westend wrote:
Where is the receptacle on your wife's side of the bed located? Is it in a wall or on the bed frame?

It is on the wall. On the non-slide out wall section.

I'd suggest to use an extension cord for the CPAP and disconnect it in the morning. You can install cable holders that will allow the cord to hang on the bed frame and allow for movement of the cord.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
🙂 Hi, the simple fix is to trade sides with your wife. Since you can't/won't do that, I would tell my wife that I was going to spend $50,000.00 on a new trailer which has outlets on both sides of the bed. :B
🙂 Bob 🙂
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Is the bed/mattress on a platform. Can you just run the wire beneath the bed in the storage area beneath the bed. Drill a hole as required
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
Your wife doesn’t like to hear you snore, she worries when you stop breathing but she won’t change to the other side of the bed. I don’t understand some relationships.

darleyhavidson
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Where is the receptacle on your wife's side of the bed located? Is it in a wall or on the bed frame?

It is on the wall. On the non-slide out wall section.

darleyhavidson
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
I use One like this to make a long run to where I need it.

I like it. If I don't use it for the camper, I definitely could use it for other projects. Thanks.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
Can't see layout of your TT yet but first thought is sleep in seperate beds. My wife sleeps in front bedroom of our 33ft TT and I sleep in living room on jack knife sofa because I snore very loudly. Works for us plus I'm a early riser predawn and like to drink coffee while she sleeps.