cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

comparison shopping/equivalent product lines and value

exintrunk
Explorer
Explorer
I have been wandering around a few RV shows and more lots looking for what i think is a simple set of criteria. Under 7000 Gross. Between 20 and 26 feet long. All the normal bells and whistles. What I am finding and very confused about is the pricing. New/Used what ever the prices don't make a lot of sense to the untrained eye. I am hearing every manufacturer has multiple product lines and multiple price points and quality levels. Is there any reference that ranks product lines by quality across manufacturers? Is there something that stack ranks them so newbies can make sure they are comparing apples to apples?

I want to get this first purchase right.

Thanks folks!

Dave
13 REPLIES 13

exintrunk
Explorer
Explorer
I was discussing the private seller VS used on a lot with my buddy. What I am seeing is that dealers are pricing the used stuff pretty high to encourage a move to something new instead while a private seller should have pricing more inline to value. The one dealership I was looking in on Sunday basically said there was a 30 day warranty on appliances for all their used stuff. I had to laugh, and told the salesman that the premium price he wants was worth more then that kind of warranty. I am pretty handy and plan on doing the majority of maintenance myself unless covered by a warranty.

There is a lot of good advice here, thank you all!

Dave

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
and make sure you look for water marks all over the rv.if you find them run don,t walk. I like buying from private owners they seem to be more honest than a sales person who doesn,t no anything about the used rv,s on his lot, how could he?

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Warranty considerations: A 2-3 year old unit will probably not have any warranty, which tells me to buy a simple, easily maintained unit over one with all the bells and whistles. Jayco and some other brands have a two year warranty which will get you to the front of the service lines and should keep you out camping instead of repairing. For a handyman, RV maintenance/repair can be a fun hobby.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Nope, you won't find it either. All you can do is pre-determine your own price range and then start looking at units within that price range. Narrow that to the floor plans and then the brands and / or models that interest you the most. Then compare the fine features, like aluminum frame vs wood frame, particle board floors vs plywood floors (if such exists), real wood cabinets vs particle board covered with wood simulated wallpaper, stand alone furniture vs built in furniture, queen beds vs king beds, double bunks, outside kitchens, even tires and the size of propane tanks on the campers, seamless windows vs framed windows, vs thermal pane windows, and insulation... fiberglass batting vs styrofoam. Does the camper advertise with a "winter package" or an "all season" or "4 season" camper? All of these determine, not only personal preference, but cost also.

Overall, in a very general way, if the camper comes with stand alone furniture, it's generally a higher end camper. (but not always).

So, basically, you need to determine what you are willing to pay, and then figure out which camper gives you the most bang-for-your-buck.

Remember something very important here: Every camper will have some kind of warranty issue. And every camper demands constant attention to detail to prevent things from falling apart. Every camper will need some kind of work done on it, if you can do it yourself, or if you have to take it somewhere, they are can never be neglected if you want them to last. You will forever be tinkering with it.

x2
excellent advice here

price, floor plan, and yes if you want to really enjoy rving, rv maintenance and upkeep will become a hobby in itself. it has for me.

i learned early on that maintaining the TT myself would save us lots of camping time and money.

the rv service depts in most areas are backed up big time for service appointments. they can't keep up with demand. rv ing is riding an all time high. (till economy tanks again, and or fuel prices sky rocket..

google search, youtube, and forums such as this will become your best friend.

exintrunk
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the feedback! I was leaning to the 2-3 year old used so that i don't take the depreciation hit up front or a 2017 taking up space on the lot. In the meantime I am getting together a must have list to help narrow down my search.

Dave

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some people have used RV Reviews.net, I have not, you can check it out for yourself clicky. I don't know anything about them.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what I found with Jayco. Sometimes they have the same box available with different trim levels. For example, a 264BH is the same basic unit as a 26BH but lacking some upgrades like a medicine cabinet or other niceties. The price between the two units represents the upgrades and one can determine if they are worth paying for. The big thing is that both have the same 5/8" plywood floors, the same roof system, and other basic features

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
exintrunk wrote:
Is there something that stack ranks them so newbies can make sure they are comparing apples to apples?

I want to get this first purchase right.

For newbies, but a 2-5 year old RV, maybe even a little on the small side. This way if you decide that you don't like RVing you have not lost a ton of money and most the the bugs will be worked out.

If yo do like, well then buy a new RV !

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
exintrunk wrote:
I am hearing every manufacturer has multiple product lines and multiple price points and quality levels.

The big manufacturers definitely have multiple product line and build the same vehicles under totally different "makes". Jayco has 10 different models just within their "Travel Trailer" section (not including camper, toy haulers or fifth wheels). Jayco also build Starcraft and others. Jayco is now owned by Thor Industries, which sells many other RV brands. Starcraft RV are select Jayco models with different color trim and upholstery.

Within the Jayco Travel Trailer products, they have a small/super lightweight product line (Hummingbird) and a "hybrid" product line (Jay Feather 7) and then the others. The Jayco Travel Trailer product line does not seem to have any "overlaps". As you move up the product line, length and features are add. Sadly, when you you one feature (say 4 bunk beds) you may have to get a lot of other features you don't really care about but drive the cost up.

Within a manufactures products, I do not think you will find a big difference in build quality, bottom to top. Sadly, it seems that there is currently a high demand for RVs but the factories are not near the production volume of 10-15 years ago, so to get the product "out the door", quality looses out to quantity.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that 25-30% off MSRP is the norm. MSRP's can be sketchy but I found that going on RVtrader.com you can see the average price better. Some MFG's actually have a build site where you can build the RV like you want. What the dealer does with the end price is where you have to be concerned.
As far as quality goes. I think it's only different between MFG's. With every MFG you sorta get what you pay for but with no guaranty of quality.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
A TT to do what? Private full hook up RV parks? Boondocking for a week with a family of four? Stop complaining and define what you wish to do
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
There are just so many choices to make. A lot depends on your intended usage. Once you define that, for example: kids? pets? cold weather or not? single or double pane windows? pavement or backwoods? how many sleep at once? how many eat at once? cooking facilities with oven or two burners?

Then you look at weight. Weight by length usually means quality of construction. Notice different models by the same builder usually get heavier with model upgrades.

Keeping it under 7000 gross can be limiting, or if you have the $$$ for a fiberglass unit it can be easy.

Lots to consider, but that should help a bit. Put down your requirements in more detail and people will respond when you start comparing different brands and models.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Nope, you won't find it either. All you can do is pre-determine your own price range and then start looking at units within that price range. Narrow that to the floor plans and then the brands and / or models that interest you the most. Then compare the fine features, like aluminum frame vs wood frame, particle board floors vs plywood floors (if such exists), real wood cabinets vs particle board covered with wood simulated wallpaper, stand alone furniture vs built in furniture, queen beds vs king beds, double bunks, outside kitchens, even tires and the size of propane tanks on the campers, seamless windows vs framed windows, vs thermal pane windows, and insulation... fiberglass batting vs styrofoam. Does the camper advertise with a "winter package" or an "all season" or "4 season" camper? All of these determine, not only personal preference, but cost also.

Overall, in a very general way, if the camper comes with stand alone furniture, it's generally a higher end camper. (but not always).

So, basically, you need to determine what you are willing to pay, and then figure out which camper gives you the most bang-for-your-buck.

Remember something very important here: Every camper will have some kind of warranty issue. And every camper demands constant attention to detail to prevent things from falling apart. Every camper will need some kind of work done on it, if you can do it yourself, or if you have to take it somewhere, they are can never be neglected if you want them to last. You will forever be tinkering with it.