cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

push back trying to get Michelin XPS RIB installed

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
I'm getting some push back trying to get Michelin XPS RIB installed on my 5th wheel trailer with 6,000 lbs axles.

Dealer is wanting me to use ST trailer tires, online chat with Michelin left my wanting to throw my computer at the wall. Trying to explain the GVW rating for the trailer was not an issue at 13,740 lbs. Kept telling him I have 6,000 lbs axle and the axle rating was the important thing that all the weight is not carried on the axles, even gave him my actual scaled weights.

Can't find any docs from Michelin approving these tire for use as in my situation....anyone??
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion
43 REPLIES 43

billmac
Explorer
Explorer
We run XPS ribs on our 14k# rig and 18k# rig. No problems. Both sets installed at different Discount Tire stores.

The ribs sure seem to roll easy. The ribs are a heavier weight tire than the Firestone Transforce we were using. Transforce gave excellent service too.

My 2 cents.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
For anyone that wants to put XPS RIBs on a RV trailer, go to a Michelin Commercial Tire Store. They will willingly sell you their best tire you can put on a 6K axle. You will be hard pressed to find a ST tire in a Commercial Tire store, as they deal mostly with people making money hauling things and can not risk the down time from tire problems.

I ran a set for 6.5 years and 44K miles, and sold them for 200 bucks on CL and installed Bridgestone Duravis R250 the second time around as they were 50 bucks per tire cheaper. I actually like the tread pattern on the R250 better.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Looks like its starting, hopefully they won't follow suit with the G614"

Are you referring to the issues they had back in early 07 and a bit before? They have been VERY trouble free since.

So far I have not heard of a single Endurance issue! The manager where I bought two sets said they have has ZERO problems.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
cummins2014 wrote:
There is a report on the Forest River forum of an Endurance failure. Looks like its starting, hopefully they won't follow suit with the G614. Time will tell

Wish you could post links here, because I searched FRF and can't find the thread talking about Endurance failure.

I bought a set last summer. VERY happy thus far. No issues.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Today 3-22-2018 Michelin customer service representative Luis says Michelin still recommends XPS Rib and BFG Commercial T/A 2 with warranties in a LT235/85-16 E for using on trailers with 6k axles.

The question I asked did Michelin still recommend the XPS Ribs for commercial and rv trailers. Answer was; it was a good match up as long as the tires meet the trailers axle ratings.

I did call three other tire dealers that sell Michelin brand tires.
Two said they had no idea what Michelin recommended for a trailers. Both were the usual in town locations with mostly soccer moms for customers with very few if any customers with trailers.

The other one was a Michelin truck tire dealer. He said don't waste your time calling Michelin as he knew they will recommend the Ribs for trailer service.

Hope this clears up what Michelin says vs what a few tire dealers opinions.....till next time.

Thanks, good info....I got my USA made Goodyear Endurance today 235/85r16 these are Speed rated "N" 87 mph and load rated, 3,640 lbs at 80 psi. I'll let you guys know if I have any problems.

Thanks again for all the advice.
B&W Ram Companion

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Today 3-22-2018 Michelin customer service representative Luis says Michelin still recommends XPS Rib and BFG Commercial T/A 2 with warranties in a LT235/85-16 E for using on trailers with 6k axles.

The question I asked did Michelin still recommend the XPS Ribs for commercial and rv trailers. Answer was; it was a good match up as long as the tires meet the trailers axle ratings.

I did call three other tire dealers that sell Michelin brand tires.
Two said they had no idea what Michelin recommended for a trailers. Both were the usual in town locations with mostly soccer moms for customers with very few if any customers with trailers.

The other one was a Michelin truck tire dealer. He said don't waste your time calling Michelin as he knew they will recommend the Ribs for trailer service.

Hope this clears up what Michelin says vs what a few tire dealers opinions.....till next time.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
How long ago was that response? I'm told this is not their current policy.

I don't think Michelin said flat out the XPS Ribs can't be used on a trailer..... but maybe just in your situation. I don't take any word on anything a tire dealer says about "tire makers says".
The email that says the XPS Ribs can be used commercial trailers was in 2016.
Emails are too slow so I'll 1-800 Michelin truck tire tomorrow and see if and why they have a policy change.

charie D wrote:
Did you forget the OP's first post from Michelin in what appears to not recommend them.

Read my 1st reply.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
So...your dealer says Michelin won't honor their XPS Rib warranty on a trailer and emails from Michelin says they will....agree with others , I sure would be looking for a experienced tire dealer that knows something.

Did you forget the OP's first post from Michelin in what appears to not recommend them.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Over 30 members have reported issues with the ST 8008.

When the BFG Commercials started having issues, Michelin stepped up and gave the Ribs and Michelin LT as replacements with warranties.

Another paste and copy from the same era when FastEagle was on his anti Michelin XPS Rib debacle.; he too was using false information on what Michelin actually says on the subject

So...your dealer says Michelin won't honor their XPS Rib warranty on a trailer and emails from Michelin says they will....agree with others , I sure would be looking for a experienced tire dealer that knows something.

How long ago was that response? I'm told this is not their current policy.
B&W Ram Companion

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
gitane59 wrote:
RollandB wrote:
This isn’t to stir the pot, but something to think about. My fifth wheel has a GVW about 500 less than yours. The weight on the two trailer axles is about 10,650 when hooked to the truck. Last summer was the time when I had marked to get ride of the Marathons that had about 5000 miles and from the factory. I just didn’t like the LT options which would give me about 1300# of a cushion when adding up the tire max Times 4. I can understand why a tire dealer would be concerned even with the track record Michelin XPS Ribs have.

St Tires are only tested to 62-65mph accounting for their abnormally high weight rating but at an unrealistically low speed. Michelin XPS steel belted radial LT tires are tested and speed rated to 100 mph so they have a low weight rating but are able to handle that low weight rating at a much higher speed.
When I ran the Michelin XPS tire I was very confident running at 92% of their weight rating at only about 65% of their speed rating vs using a ST tires at 75-80% of their weight rating but frequently over 100% of their limited speed rating.
Speed creates heat in tires and heat causes random tire blowout's and every mile per higher above their weight rating shortens their life span.
To the OP as several other posters have commented find a more towing knowledgeable tire dealer

X2 to the percentage of rating, like I stated our Yokohama’s are speed rated to 106 mph at 3,042#, at 65 to 70 well within ratings.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a set of Ribs installed on my last fifth wheel. Many thousands of miles trouble free. Discount tire installed them.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Over 30 members have reported issues with the ST 8008.

When the BFG Commercials started having issues, Michelin stepped up and gave the Ribs and Michelin LT as replacements with warranties.

Another paste and copy from the same era when FastEagle was on his anti Michelin XPS Rib debacle.; he too was using false information on what Michelin actually says on the subject

** (paste and copy)
I sent an email to Michelin for a response regarding using Michelin XPS ribs on my 5th wheel. Here is the question and their response:

Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

Due to recent high email volume and some technical issues that we have experienced, please accept our apology for the delay in this response. Your interest in Michelin is certainly appreciated.

In regards to the email you sent stating:
I have a 2006 Montana 5th wheel Trailer that has two 6,000 lb Dexter axles and 4 deluxe aluminum Rims each rated at 3,042 lbs. I would like to install your Michelin XPS® Rib™ LT235/85 R16/E's on this 5th wheel. Will the tires be fully waranteed in this application?

Answer..------------------------------------------------------------
We appreciate your request for information regarding the Michelin XPS Rib. The XPS Rib, size LT235/85R16/E, part number 13080 would be a good fitment for your 5th wheel. The tire carries 3042Lbs at 80-psi max pressure. For best pressure recommendation, run at maximum pressure until you can weigh your axles either call or reply to this email for a pressure recommendation.
It is a good application, so there are no warranty issues. Your tires are covered under applicable warranty.
We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-800-642-4354 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

Diana
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert**

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
Michelin no longer approves any LT tire for trailer use, thus no warranty for damage or defect.

Going with the Endurance 235/85R16. The dealer is a friend of the family and I trust him, I have know him for 40 plus years. He says no issues like the junk Marathons of the past. We'll see.

One of my 4 year old 20,000 miles Maxxis tires 235/80/R16 is starting to break around the rim....looks like it is starting to come off...weird. I could see the wobble from the belt shift in the rear view mirror at low speeds....he also had good things to say about the Maxxis tires.

Thanks for the advice.
B&W Ram Companion

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
I’d run it on the rims before I’d put Goodyear’s on.

That would be a fun thing to see. if you do post it on you tube.

Yes I know you are kidding.

chevman:B

No fears of a BLOWOUT!!! :B
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"