cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aftermarket brake controllers?

brmiller
Explorer
Explorer
I need to add a brake controller to our Honda Odyssey and wanted to know if there are any recommended controllers? Don't need anything fancy, just wanting to know if there are any to stay away from?
23 REPLIES 23

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Bols2DawaLL wrote:
Ummm . if you don't have a factory tow package and you plan on towing the trailer in your profile
21.42 ft.
Weight
Dry Weight
3,205 lbs.
Payload Capacity
645 lbs.
Hitch Weight
453 lbs.

and travel with your wife and 4 kids you are probably way over every limit imaginable . Even with a tow package I'm sure you're still way over

X2.
With that load you will fry the trans.

That would be my main concern also. All of these "grocery getter"/"Soccer Mom" vehicles just don't IMO have a robust enough drivetrain ... esp. the tranny to tow any full profile trailer. Reasonably sized pop-ups, cargo, and maybe boats, but not full profile TTs with their SIGNIFICANT WIND DRAG in addition to the weight and sail area.

I just believe if you want to really tow something "SAFELY" get a vehicle meant to actually tow and understand the tradeoff might be less ride comfort and daily non towing mpg.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Basically, Asian built vehicles are a pain when it comes to trailer wiring unless there is a factory installed plug to accomodate the 7 pin connection. This can be true even for an aftermarket 4 pin connection. Japanese like to break down their tail wiring into multiple electrical circuits whereas domestic trucks have fewer circuits and circuit protection is easier to work with. I'd suggest to research through online Oddesy owner's groups. Those guys are sharp and have done the work, previously.

IMO, a front wheel drive van is not a good match for hauling an RV but owners try to use what they have. Good luck with the Oddessy. It is probably one of the better vans built. I, too, recommend Tekonsha P2 or P3 as an aftermarket brake controller. If you search the Tekonsha website, you'll probably find the correct adaptor to wire the cabin side circuits that connect to the controler. I'd asume that an individual wire may be necessary for trailer brake control but have no direct experience with that vehicle.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Steve_911
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Prodigy RF wireless brake controller. Using it for about a year now, and no issues. I tow a 2017 Rpod 179...Works great with my 2016 Highlander w/tow pkg.
Hope that helps

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
Bols2DawaLL wrote:
Ummm . if you don't have a factory tow package and you plan on towing the trailer in your profile
21.42 ft.
Weight
Dry Weight
3,205 lbs.
Payload Capacity
645 lbs.
Hitch Weight
453 lbs.

and travel with your wife and 4 kids you are probably way over every limit imaginable . Even with a tow package I'm sure you're still way over

X2.

Forget that, you'll not want to tow with the van the first time you go over a bump. With just the wife and I and a somewhat lighter trailer it didn't take but driving the van home over mostly flat ground to know we needed a truck. If you have a truck there is a 0% chance you'll want to tow anywhere with the van after you feel what the soft rear suspension feels like towing.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
There goes Boles saying what I should have said. OP will be seriously overloaded. There is a reason Honda doesnโ€™t include a 7 pin plug...NOT meant for heavy towing. Another example of buying TV first and then...overloading.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Bols2DawaLL wrote:
21.42 ft.
Weight
Dry Weight
3,205 lbs.
Payload Capacity
645 lbs.
Hitch Weight
453 lbs.

X2.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
brmiller wrote:
The Odyssey is my wife's car. I drive an F150 FX4 so it has no issues towing the trailer.

Was just hoping that with a trans and ps cooler and tow package we could tow an empty trailer.

guess that's not possible?

GVWR for this trailer is 3850 lbs, 350 lbs over the Ody's likely trailer tow rating of 3500 lbs ... I say "likely" because we have no idea of the year or trim level of your Ody. Possible? ... sure, but do you really want to start off by towing 10% over the vehicle's rating and have to be really careful about what you load into a trailer with such limited cargo capacity? Presumably you have a reason for wanting to tow with the Ody rather than your F150 but it doesn't sound like a good solution to me. Remember, it's not just about weight but also the significant effect of wind resistance that quadruples as road speed doubles. You'll feel that trailer behind the Ody for sure. Good luck. ๐Ÿ™‚
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
SoundGuy wrote:
Bols2DawaLL wrote:
... if you don't have a factory tow package and you plan on towing the trailer in your profile ...

... and travel with your wife and 4 kids you are probably way over every limit imaginable . Even with a tow package I'm sure you're still way over

Best we can do is wish him lots of luck towing a Coleman Lantern 17FQ travel trailer with his Odyssey. Scary. :E

Not that it matters, but actually a family of 4. The OPs Honda is likely rated to tow 3,500, so may be over his drive train recommendation a ways fully loaded. No reason to turn this thread into a weight issue. At some time many of us have been over factory spec tow rating a little. I know I have BTDT. He has gotten some good info, concerning his question on brake controller.

Jerry

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I would just avoid time-delay based controllers.
A Prodigy P2 or P3 will serve your needs nicely and have a solid state pendulum (no moving parts).

X2.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

brmiller
Explorer
Explorer
The Odyssey is my wife's car. I drive an F150 FX4 so it has no issues towing the trailer.

Was just hoping that with a trans and ps cooler and tow package we could tow an empty trailer.

guess that's not possible?

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Bols2DawaLL wrote:
... if you don't have a factory tow package and you plan on towing the trailer in your profile ...

... and travel with your wife and 4 kids you are probably way over every limit imaginable . Even with a tow package I'm sure you're still way over

Best we can do is wish him lots of luck towing a Coleman Lantern 17FQ travel trailer with his Odyssey. Scary. :E
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Beerboy
Explorer
Explorer
x3 on etrailer.

I installed a 7-way and the Tekonsha p3 from them a few weeks ago. Good videos; they should have one on installation for your model vehicle. Routing wiring and bringing it into the cab was a hassle on my vehicle (Mazda truck), but everything worked smoothly the first time and I'm quite happy with it.

Bols2DawaLL
Explorer
Explorer
21.42 ft.
Weight
Dry Weight
3,205 lbs.
Payload Capacity
645 lbs.
Hitch Weight
453 lbs.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Your RV dealer wires these up every day.
If there is a plug and play solution you will find it here: www.etrailer.com

+1 for Prodigy P2 or P3 (I have P3)

x2 Etrailer also has videos for installation of their products.