cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Backup Camera

oyarsa
Explorer
Explorer
Any recommendations for a backup camera for the back of our RV? I'm looking for an easy to install (preferably no drilling), relatively cheap (150 or so) method. If it stays on while driving, that's great but not necessary. I also don't particularly care about the display quality...

I've tried looking at Amazon, reading reviews, searching this forum, etc., but I'm no closer to finding one I like...
13 REPLIES 13

westend
Explorer
Explorer
oyarsa wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Seems like a lot of these (or maybe all) still require drilling for mounting the camera and possibly to get power. Maybe I should have more confidence in my abilities and go for it...
3M VHB tape ought to hold the weight of a camera (no drilling). Drilling doesn't scare me anymore. After I spent a lot of hours, cleaning, sealing, and painting my aluminum roof, I drilled in 9 holes for my solar panel. Along the way, I found the greatest way to seal those holes easily: If you use a power tool (cordless drill/impact) to install threaded fasteners (screws), installing through a piece of Eternabond tape, the threads and screw head will be sealed. It is almost magic.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

lily123456
Explorer
Explorer
Haloview backup camera may be suitable for you.It's high-end and cheap.

oyarsa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions. Seems like a lot of these (or maybe all) still require drilling for mounting the camera and possibly to get power. Maybe I should have more confidence in my abilities and go for it...

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
May not help but I just about got done(almost) hooking up a Garmin BC30 on the rear of my 5th wheel. I already have a Nuvi GPS so it linked up super easy.
$149.99 for the BC30.

MikeJulieGDImag
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Furrion rear observation camera and love it. It's a little more than the $150 you wanted to spend but to me its completely worth it. Wireless and have never had a signal issue.

djrainer
Explorer
Explorer
Just found this today on Google Search, yes it's made in China but it's 7" Monitor, 2 Cameras and it's wireless.

https://www.ebay.com/i/162492733579?chn=ps&dispItem=1

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
They do have cameras that connect to a wireless transmitter. You can run the wire from the camera to the front of the RV where it can transmit to the monitor inside the cab. I wanted something I could connect to my existing radio screen, so I ran wire up to the hitch, and connect there to 2 wires that go to the engine bay and through the firewall to my radio. I'm ready to run a heavier, fused wire from the battery into the cab for radio and camera connections. They are running off of auxiliary now, and I'm not wanting to overload that circuit. My trailer came with the pre-install for the Furrion wireless camera. I bought one, and sold it. It was too small and wouldn't work with my radio. So I used power from there to run my $35 e-Bay camera, that is mounted to the pre-install mount. I run the video wire down the back of the trailer, in colored molding, and underneath to the hitch. It works for me. I don't use it as often as I thought I would. I use it to help with backing, and to occasionally check traffic behind me, but I spend most of my time with the GPS and map up on the screen.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
I got this one and am happy with it:

Esky 7-Inch TFT LCD Color Monitor Car Backup Rear View Camera System (Night Vision, Side Camera)
2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M

sbrdude86
Explorer
Explorer
Menards has a wireless backup camera on sale for 79. in chicago area at least.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
Try something like this Clicky

westend
Explorer
Explorer
oyarsa wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not having much luck with the first item. Maybe it's unavailable now. Sounds like that might be a good way to do it...just run a long cable...
Yes, better than wireless. You'll need two cables-one from the camera to your hitch nd another from the hitch to the monitor in the truck. You separate the two when unloading the trailer.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

oyarsa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not having much luck with the first item. Maybe it's unavailable now. Sounds like that might be a good way to do it...just run a long cable...

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what I got from Amazon, about $80. I attach the camera to my rear ladder then run the wire under the trailer (zip tied) to the front of my 5th wheel to the pin. From there the wire goes to my back door and into the cab. I use the same wire and monitor for my truck camper but just bought a camera for the TC:

ODGear Backup Camera and Monitor Kit For Car ,4.3'' LCD Car Rear View Monitor Night Vision Reverse Backup Camera Waterproof https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M6UIS25/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ORreAbCXADT5Q
REARMASTER 12V Cigarette Lighter Power Supply Kit for Car rear view camera and Monitor with RCA connection https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2T53ZR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_1SreAbDSDBD4W
ATian Waterproof 18 LED Car Rear View Night Vision Reverse Video Backup Parking Camera Black Color https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015J0CGIY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_BTreAb7ZJD0MG
RCA Plug DC 2.1 5.5 MM Power Video AV Extension Cable for CCTV Security Car Tuck Bus Trailer Reverse Parking Reverse Camera 15 Meters 50ft by HitCar https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DVZYCZA?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf