cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
I have one tire on trailer that has been damaged. An exact replacement is longer made. (Brand name) Tire store says I should only replace tires in pairs of like brand.. Can I just replace one tire with matching size of the other one on the axle?
15 REPLIES 15

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the responses.. I have decided to start again at Ground Zero and replace all 4 tires with the same brand / dates..or in a year or two I would have been in the same mixed tire situation..

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
guidry wrote:
It sounds like someone is trying to sell you an additional tire. I've never heard of that on a trailer. On a car, just recently found out the TPMS won't work correctly with different brands or tread difference. On a trailer I have had to do exactly what you are proposing. Tire experts may weigh in but I would get just one tire if the others are of good quality and tread, and not over 5 years old. Otherwise, if you had to replace the tires I would suggest upgrading to a higher rating (for example: from a E to a G)

Not sure who told you that for cars but that is not true, I am in the car business and have different brands of tires all the time.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Braking ....especially (not alway) on wet pavement. One will usually have better traction on the same axle and the other may slide causing flat spots on hard braking events. BTDT when I was on the road.....so I always made sure the tires on each axle had similar tread design even though they were a different brand.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:
...just make sure the new tire tread has a similar tread pattern as the other one...in other words because of braking issues you don't want a all ribbed tread like a XPS rib and the usual old ST type tread that looks like a all terrain on the other.
What does matching the tread have to do with anything?

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
The only time I would replace both tires on the same side is if you went for a while on one good tire, this would have severely overloaded that tire.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
If a road hazard punctured the side wall of your new tow vehicle tire would you buy two to replace it?

I upgraded to D rated TT tires and less than year later, with about a thousand mile on it, a road hazard ruined a tire and rim. The tire shop could not get the exact replacement so I bought the latest version of the same tire.

D rated is D rated, so unless I was dealing with one of the new premium model tires an exact match is not too high on my list.

The last time it happened with my tow vehicle I did buy the exact same tire, only to find out that in the intervening years the manufacturing was moved from the US to Canada.

Safe travels
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The Providers by Taskmaster is a very popular M and R speed rated ST class tire especially with the hauling crowd...and some say they come OEM now on some brand rv trailers now. PJ and Starlite equipment trailer used them as OEM tires for years.
One of my car haulers has ST235/80-16 E Providers. No issues in over 6 years now.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
DD716TED wrote:
Anyone have any comments / thoughts / experience with any of the following brands of tires..Taskmaster, Transporter or Towstar?
Unless they are speed rated 80+ mph take a pass.
Carlisle HD and Endurance are rated 83 and 87 mph.

Not that I recommend going that fast. Just a better built tire.

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have any comments / thoughts / experience with any of the following brands of tires..Taskmaster, Transporter or Towstar? Just trying to do my homework before replacing two original load range D factory tires which have lasted 6 years (overdue) / 6K miles / and still look new BUT AGE IS AGAINST THEM and two aftermarket load renge E tires that were installed because of un-repairable sidewall punctures on the other two factory tires...all new tires will be load range E

JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer
Typically that statement applies to automobiles where there are wheel sensors for all wheel drive and similar sophisticated traction controls. On a trailer i don't think it is a big deal.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Tire store says I should only replace tires in pairs of like brand.. Can I just replace one tire with matching size of the other one on the axle?

Typical advice from a tire store that understands the advantages and disadvantages of different tread type used on the ends of a trailer axle.
Different brands will work fine just make sure the new tire tread has a similar tread pattern as the other one...in other words because of braking issues you don't want a all ribbed tread like a XPS rib and the usual old ST type tread that looks like a all terrain on the other.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
DD716TED wrote:
I have one tire on trailer that has been damaged. An exact replacement is longer made. (Brand name) Tire store says I should only replace tires in pairs of like brand.. Can I just replace one tire with matching size of the other one on the axle?

YES, you can simply replace one tire even if it not the same brand, PROVIDED it is the same size, load rating and type (radial to radial, BIAS Ply to BIAS ply).

Is it "ideal", no, but it isn't going to hurt anything.

You just will have an oddball when the other three are worn out..

That can be delt with at that time by buying four new and put the oddball as a spare (spares should be rotated out periodically since they will eventually deteriorate even when not used) ..

I have had to do the same thing myself and if you have ever had to put a spare tire on you have done the same in many cases.

Now, if it was something like brakes, it would be best to change those in "pairs"..

Find a better tire shop, that one is just trying to make an extra sale off of you by padding the bill with unneeded parts..

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Match the diameter of the old tire and you should be fine for use on a trailer. Isn't your spare the same tire as the one what went south?
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Find a new tire store. I recommend Goodyear Endurance from Discount Tire.
Although if the ST tires are over 4 years old I would replace all.