cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to motorhomes

Roundtowner
Explorer
Explorer
I'm buying a used Seneca(2015) on a freightliner M2 chassis. I've camped for a long time, but this is my first MH. Ïs there anything that I should be aware of?
What do you do about quieting the rattling of your possessions?
Thanks for your information.
14 REPLIES 14

b17drvr
Explorer
Explorer
Super C’s are noisy. You won’t hear the rattles. Mine measures about 92 DB when driving. You are on a commercial truck chassis and they were not designed to be quiet.

Roundtowner
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your inputs. We're following up now. Thanks again.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
ron.dittmer wrote:
I never been in a moving super-C Freightliner M2 diesel-powered chassis. How loud is that thing when driving it? Maybe the rattling of contents in the house is a mute point.

Good point, I would want to drive one before laying down big bucks. The few comments I heard was that it is noisy.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
I never been in a moving super-C Freightliner M2 diesel-powered chassis. How loud is that thing when driving it? Maybe the rattling of contents in the house is a mute point.

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Turn the radio up ! 😉

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Being that we travel across the country during our trips, it was well worth our effort to chase down noises and rattles, and done so with great success. This is what we did.

- Full-covering foam rubber drawer liner material for every drawer, cabinet, and every section of the utensil trays, holding the liner in place with carpet tape.
- Placed half sheet paper towels in between noise-making cook ware.
- Using Corning Ware plates & bowls because they are microwavable, store compactly, stack very tightly, and don't rattle because of it.
- Ceramic mugs and such are compartmentalized in a drawer.
- Placed 1/4" thick felt pads under the four feet and wing tips of the crank-up bat-wing antenna.
- Installed spiked "T" nuts to tighten the microwave oven to the cabinet much better. The wood screws came loose often creating a lot of noise.
- Placed silicone pot holders on top of the stove grates and then place the stove cover over them.
- Installed felt pads in strategic places inside the main TV that hangs above the cab area, just over our heads when driving. Doing so stopped all the rattles coming from inside the TV.
- Placed felt pads in effective places for the flip-up counter wing.
- Keep every cabinet full using small square storage baskets to keep smaller items in place. Otherwise the stuff thrashes around.
- Don't over-fill the 6 tires with air. Doing so creates a rougher ride than necessary.

Now when we hear a notable noise, something isn't right.

Our driving experience is a big part of our over-all RV experience. Greatly reducing the noise increased our driving pleasure immensely.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
j-d wrote:
The jiggle of kitchen items doesn't bother us a bit. Reminds us we got to go camping. Noise of something loose/adrift that shouldn't be, like cabinet doors, drawers, blinds and ordinary rattles does bother and what we do varies with the item.

x3. Sometimes a rattle can be cured by moving the radio dial up a few notches. I use paper towel segments in-between some annoying pieces ,i find the blue colored paper shop towels from Costco work the best.
One time a noise was driving me coo coo was a trip to Seattle, solo. I moved a bunch of stuff around at each rest stop then noticed the strap used to pull the awning was slapping the door outside. I use a lock on the front slide and without it there is an annoying squeak.

FWIW. I worked around huge ship loading equipment for many years with back up alarms. After a while you do not even notice them, your brain mutes them out.

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest you take one or two trips to a local campground to make sure you know how to operate all systems and functions. Practice backing in sites or your driveway, practice communications with your spotter, learn how to dump, learn how to level your RV, and basic daily operations. When you feel comfortable with all aspects of your rig, then you will be ready for longer trips.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
j-d wrote:
The jiggle of kitchen items doesn't bother us a bit. Reminds us we got to go camping. Noise of something loose/adrift that shouldn't be, like cabinet doors, drawers, blinds and ordinary rattles does bother and what we do varies with the item.
X-2, the kitchen rattles bothered us just a little when we started out, but we've gotten used to it now and hardly even pay attention to it.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Roundtowner wrote:
What do you do about quieting the rattling of your possessions?

We line the cabinets with this (helps keep things from sliding). We also cut up this liner placing a small strip between the various plates, bowls etc .. keeps the dishware from rattling.
Kevin

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
The noisiest possessions are the dishes. We keep the glasses in partitioned boxes and mostly use paper plates. Padding between ceramic plates, pots and pans also helps.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
By all means, call Jerry and let him pour some of his experience into you. Brace yourself. This is "drinking from a fire hose!"

I don't know what you've camped in, but if this is your first time driving a "big box" be aware of clearances. Not just height but also house body width, rear overhang, turning radius and rear overhang side swing on tight turns.

With a DIESEL engine in your Super C, you get one outstanding benefit. You can use the Truck Lanes at fuel stops! This allows a much easier in-fuel-out than even "RV Lanes" at places like Flying J, let alone the ordinary car islands, even if they have diesel fuel. Best I can tell, few to zero Truck Lanes still sell Gasoline, so I have to pick my fueling spots. You should have less worries.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe call me so we can discuss.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad