cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is this a good deal for Jayco 273 vs Coleman 250TQ?

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
I am very interested in a local 2017 Jayco 273. It is not a new leftover, it is 1 year used, recently taken on a trade at my local dealership.

I spend 2 hours going inside and out and all looks very good (basically brand new) with very little if any wear. It does not have the fuel cell or 2nd AC, or electric leveling or generator.

Other than that it has all the other packages that come with a 273.

The dealer was asking $23,900 and came down to $21,900. Is this a good price? I am worried that the 2 year warranty is non-transferable. This is a big purchase for me.

The alternative is a 2018 Dutchman Coleman 250TQ (new) for $20,499. While I like the Jayco better, the Coleman comes with a 3 year warranty (yes 3 year). The dutchman is 96 inch wide (not 103 like Jayco) and is 29' 7" long vs 30' 11" for the Jayco. They both have basically the same exact features, except Jayco has electric tongue jack and shower door vs curtain on the Coleman. Also Jayco has fiberglass front. The coleman comes with 2 lounge chairs, the Jayco does not.

Other than that they are virtually identical. The Jayco is about 1000lbs heavier for some reason. I assume that is because of heavier construction?

So the new Coleman is $1400 cheaper and comes with 3 year warranty, but the Jayco is one year old but nicer in and out and offers just a bit more width and length. Should I be jumping on this Jayco for that price or should I be jumping on the Coleman? I am pretty sure MSRP on Jayco is way higher than the coleman, but not sure if than matters to me. Is it worth paying $1400 more for a year old Jayco?
14 REPLIES 14

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
I would get a quote at RV Direct on the Jayco for a fresh 2018 to understand how much savings the 2017 model really is. RV Direct has about the best national prices on Jayco models.

The Jayco used price seems high. A new 2018 model MSRP with same equipment looks around $36k, which brings a sales price near $24k. $2k discount for 1yr old? Not enough for me to consider. And if you really want some of the equipment like fuel station, you should get it done by the factory.

Thanks for suggestion, however RV direct quoted $27,775 for a 2018, plus I'd have the expense of pick-up (add few hundred). So the discount is around $6k over new.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I would get a quote at RV Direct on the Jayco for a fresh 2018 to understand how much savings the 2017 model really is. RV Direct has about the best national prices on Jayco models.

The Jayco used price seems high. A new 2018 model MSRP with same equipment looks around $36k, which brings a sales price near $24k. $2k discount for 1yr old? Not enough for me to consider. And if you really want some of the equipment like fuel station, you should get it done by the factory.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
normal_dave wrote:
I know you asked "which one"...but, toy haulers need to be built tough and strong. "For a few dollars more..." (hey good title for a movie), you could get this:
2016 Winnebago Spyder 24FQ

I'll let the nasal Haylett guy tell the rest of the story (he sounds just like consumer advocate Clark Howard):
Haylett 24FQ walkaround

or this:
Listed as new 2017 Livin Lite Quicksilver (all aluminum)and a much better fit for your tow vehicle:
2017 Quicksilver 20x7HJ

Out of my budget. Both trailers I am looking at are approx $20k

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
normal_dave wrote:
I know you asked "which one"...but, toy haulers need to be built tough and strong. "For a few dollars more..." (hey good title for a movie), you could get this:

I'll let the nasal Haylett guy tell the rest of the story (he sounds just like consumer advocate Clark Howard):
Haylett 24FQ walkaround

or this:
Listed as new 2017 Livin Lite Quicksilver (all aluminum)and a much better fit for your tow vehicle:
2017 Quicksilver 20x7HJ

I like the construction of those living lites and would have bought one but at that time the small/short ones lacked a vanity in the bath, even where there was room/space for one.
bumpy
p.s. I want that spyder ๐Ÿ™‚

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer

Haylett 24FQ walkaround

or this:
2017 Quicksilver 20x7HJ
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
Floor plans are exactly the same. If I put you in each trailer and asked you which is which, you'd have a hard time telling them apart.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Floor plan remains when all else is forgotten.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

roadrat2
Explorer
Explorer
My grandmother used to say "the right thing at the wrong price is better than the wrong thing at any price". I'd get the one you like best.

Maybe negotiate a warranty on the 1 yo unit.
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT25SB
2006 F-350 6.0L

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
95jersey wrote:
The dutchman is 96 inch wide (not 103 like Jayco) and is 29' 7" long vs 30' 11" for the Jayco. They both have basically the same exact features, except Jayco has electric tongue jack and shower door vs curtain on the Coleman. Also Jayco has fiberglass front. The coleman comes with 2 lounge chairs, the Jayco does not.

Other than that they are virtually identical. The Jayco is about 1000lbs heavier for some reason. I assume that is because of heavier construction?

That's a large assumption seeing your comparing 6" wider and a foot longer. IMO you can't arbitrarily say more weight means better build quality, QC, fit and finish, or anything else.

What model Denali was the Coleman compared to. TMK the Denali line has no toy haulers and the is also laminated construction, not stick and tin. That's comparing Apple's to Oranges. Stick and tin is usually lower priced than laminated, a manufacturers lower or entry level line in the heiarchy, and typically heavier. Pick your poison.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

TKW
Explorer
Explorer
I went to see a brand new Coleman TT last year before I bought my pre-owned Timber Ridge. It was advertised at a unbelievable price. However, I was not impressed with the build quality. The CW salesman explained to me Coleman is their house brand that Dutchman built to meet certain price point. He went on and showed me a Dutchman TT with identical floor plan but the asking price was $2k more.

Without seeing the 2 TT for comparison, I am not going to recommend one over the other. But if I were you, I would go back to the dealer and look at the two again. You might be surprised to see the differences you didn't notice the first time.
2002 Chevy 1500HD Crew Cab, 6.0l
2013 Timber Ridge 240RBS
Prodigy Brake Controller

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
How much would a 2018 Jayco 273 cost? That would give you a better price comparison.
The original buyer took the depreciation hit on the Jayco you are considering.

2018 Dutchman is $31k MSRP ($20,499)
2018 Jayco MSRP is $37+k ($29k is lowest I seen

If they were both same price, I'd choose Jayco, but they are not. The Jayco is more expensive and has no warranty. I don't dislike the Coleman that much. It is a real bind.

I guess I am looking for someone to say heck yeah this one all the way for XXXX reasons. Just looking for any compelling argument that I have not thought through that could make the decision easier.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
How much would a 2018 Jayco 273 cost? That would give you a better price comparison.
The original buyer took the depreciation hit on the Jayco you are considering.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Your issue to me is spending the additional $1400. Get the Jayco.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
sounds to me that you actually prefer the Jayco but can't bring yourself to buy it.
sounds like the jayco is a more upscale unit.
bumpy