cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan observation

n4hwl
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a motorhome with a onan quiet diesel 12.5 kw generator. I noticed that it was louder than my onan 7.5 kw in my previous motorhome. I just found that the 7.5 was a variable speed generator and the 12.5 was a constant speed one. I knew something was different. This 12.5 is running at full speed as soon as it is started. I believe I liked the 7.5 better. It was quieter. I wonder why onan did not make this 12.5 kw variable speed. Oh well

Ken
2014 Tiffin Zephyr
6 REPLIES 6

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kpackpackkelley wrote:
Donโ€™t know what you mean by variable speed it was either 1800 or 3600 rpm depending how many slip rings it had.
In the current Cummins Onan RV generator brochure, two of the diesel generators list the RPM as "variable".
https://cumminsengines.com/brochure-download.aspx?brochureid=1533
2009 Fleetwood Icon

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Twomed wrote:
The bigger gen runs the 3 a/c's, 4 TV's, electric shades, big fridge, etc. You are "supposed" to sit inside sip fine wine, use the dishwasher, enjoy HD satellite, while facebooking family.

Drinking beer outside under the awning with that little 7.5 is history...you won't hear the 10.0 inside with the dual pane windows. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Everybody camps differently...no right, no wrong, just fun... ๐Ÿ™‚

That is my "reply of the day" award winner. Well done!:B
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
The bigger gen runs the 3 a/c's, 4 TV's, electric shades, big fridge, etc. You are "supposed" to sit inside sip fine wine, use the dishwasher, enjoy HD satellite, while facebooking family.

Drinking beer outside under the awning with that little 7.5 is history...you won't hear the 12.5 inside with the dual pane windows. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Everybody camps differently...no right, no wrong, just fun... ๐Ÿ™‚
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

n4hwl
Explorer
Explorer
I think the 7.5 onan quiet generator is an inverter type generator. I know that the speed of the generator varies depending on the load on the generator. When everything is turned off the generator really slows down and gets quiter.
2014 Tiffin Zephyr

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
It's basically 50% larger than your old genset so I would imagine it to be 50% louder.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Kpackpackkelley
Explorer
Explorer
Donโ€™t know what you mean by variable speed it was either 1800 or 3600 rpm depending how many slip rings it had.