Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for best hitch mount golf cart carrier

pweekly
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all.
Looking to take my motorhome down to Florida this summer (1400 miles each way) and have a trailer for the golf cart but have had issues with tires last time that I have nightmares about dealing with again. I am looking for anyone who uses a cargo carrier (hitch mount) to take the golf cart with instead. Need it rated high enough weight and also not break the bank. Thanks. trish

Tricia and Tom

:B

2005 Mandalay 40E 400HP cummins/Freightliner in Sapphire blue.
6 REPLIES 6

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
You forget moment as the weight will be approx 60 inches behind the axle so it is 6000 lb as you take the distance in inches X the weight. This is why things break when you load a golf cart in this manner. 6k is a tremendous load to add to shock, tires and axles and it bounces too adding more wt. You probably need to buy a bigger trailer or put 15 inch wheels and tires on it.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
pweekly wrote:
Hi all.
Looking to take my motorhome down to Florida this summer (1400 miles each way) and have a trailer for the golf cart but have had issues with tires last time that I have nightmares about dealing with again. I am looking for anyone who uses a cargo carrier (hitch mount) to take the golf cart with instead. Need it rated high enough weight and also not break the bank. Thanks. trish

Best idea I can think of for bringing along a GC is for towing a PU truck, four down and having the cart in the bed. Now you have a toad as well, for running around in and don't need the extra storage for a trailer.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
You could use a swivel wheel or Idaho tote.

https://springfield.craigslist.org/rvs/d/swivel-wheel-platform/6486339484.html
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

MrWizard
golf car, you are going to need a hydraulic lift used for big motorcycles

i don't know of any hitch mount carrier rated that high

better off to get new tires or a new trailer, big lift carriers are expensive
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pweekly
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for this information. I have to look up my tires on my trailer now. 🙂

Tricia and Tom

:B

2005 Mandalay 40E 400HP cummins/Freightliner in Sapphire blue.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I found this information for your Mandalay:
Gross axle weight rating (GAWR) ... front "” 14,320 pounds; rear "” 20,000 pounds
Wet weight as tested ... front "” 11,680 pounds; rear "” 18,420 pounds; total "” 30,140 pounds
A 1000lb golf cart plus a 250 lb rack is going to put 1800+ lbs on your rear axle. 18,840 + 1800= 20,240 without any stuff in the MH. You are probably already at your 20,000 rear axle weight before you try and add a golf cart. I would worry about breaking the axle not the bank.

Buy bigger rims for your trailer and put car tires on them...not cheap ST trailer tires. Remove the fenders if necessary for the larger diameter tires.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...