cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Loop Tourists

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
A leo with the State of Mich DNR was mentioned to me word has come down from above to start limiting access to the paid camping areas inside Michigan State Parks.

I guess the law has been on the books for a while, but never enforced. It's supposedly to increase the safety, security and enjoyment of those who paid camping fees to be in the park by limiting access to those who are just passing through.

As I stood by tending my smoker here in a state park, watching car after car after car drive by and gawk, I think I will appreciate having the law enforced.

Although the sad part is, I'm guessing it's unfunded mandate from the State, and parks / management districts will be left holding the bag to pay for it.

Thoughts, comments?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
14 REPLIES 14

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Hammerboy wrote:

Michigan state parks you do not need a campsite tag to ride thru the campgrounds, we do it all the time when checking out new state parks. What the OP is saying that may change.

I'm guessing they will have to add more stations at some state parks? Some have checkpoints just for the campgrounds (example Yankee Springs) some the last checkpoint gets you into the campgrounds and day use areas like Ludington state park.

Dan

Do you go into the office and ask to do a drive thru?

Seriously, been going to Michigan State Parks for close to 50yrs and they've always checked your site tag (not just the state park sticker) to get in.

I wouldn't be surprised if you asked to do a quick drive thru to check it out and it's not too busy, they would let you but it has always been policed and just not a big issue.

Not to the office, just pull up to the last station and they check my plate (some just take your word for it) to see if I have the state park endorsement. The only ones I ever say I like to do a drive thru are the ones where there is a dedicated shack just for the campgrounds. Not all of the Michigan state parks have a dedicated campground shack. The example I gave about Ludington state park, the last shack you drive by gets you not only to the campgrounds but also to the beach, day use area, boat launch, etc. so with that set up you wouldn't need a campsite tag.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Hammerboy wrote:

Michigan state parks you do not need a campsite tag to ride thru the campgrounds, we do it all the time when checking out new state parks. What the OP is saying that may change.

I'm guessing they will have to add more stations at some state parks? Some have checkpoints just for the campgrounds (example Yankee Springs) some the last checkpoint gets you into the campgrounds and day use areas like Ludington state park.

Dan

Do you go into the office and ask to do a drive thru?

Seriously, been going to Michigan State Parks for close to 50yrs and they've always checked your site tag (not just the state park sticker) to get in.

I wouldn't be surprised if you asked to do a quick drive thru to check it out and it's not too busy, they would let you but it has always been policed and just not a big issue.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hammerboy wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
When did they start letting anyone in?

Been camping in Michigan State Parks for decades and you needed both the state park sticker and the campsite tag on your rearview mirror.

No real cost/effort as you typically have to drive by the registration station and stop until they wave you thru.

Are you possibly thinking of some of the more remote parks?

Dan
I'm guessing it's a big nothing-burger.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

Been camping in Michigan State Parks for decades and you needed both the state park sticker and the campsite tag on your rearview mirror.

No real cost/effort as you typically have to drive by the registration station and stop until they wave you thru.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The looky looks in their cars don't bother me near as much as the ones who come through on their noisy motorcycles. Not impressed at all by the racket.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
I will admit to being one of those that like to check out a campground when I am in an area that I am visiting. I always stop by the office and ask If we can take a look, even at the state parks. There is no day use fee for state parks here in TN so anyone can come in and use them. I have not found it to be too big a problem when I have been camping anywhere we have gone. The bigger problem for me is people who cant drive slowly in the campground.

2X. Many campground maps are not to scale, and the site photos (if there are any) don't show some of the problems that may exist. A drive through the campground may be the only way to choose an acceptable site. My favorite was a New England campground that friends & I reserved next door sites (according to the map). Only problem was there was a playground between the sites that was not on the map. We were 150' apart...

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
The looky loo's are just envious. In a way the extra traffic may be an additional unintended security force. Extra eyes etc. A thief will get in regardless.
I can only speak for east coast state parks for now but PA, MD, VA, NC, SC, and FL have only signs about camp ground entrance. If you pay your entry fee it's all wide open from there.

We are currently hosting at a small old (built in 1944) SP on the Oregon Coast, we get many drive throughs as many of the sights are very desirable being right on the Ocean. One sight in particular is booked Opening day through the entire season.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
The looky loo's are just envious. In a way the extra traffic may be an additional unintended security force. Extra eyes etc. A thief will get in regardless.
I can only speak for east coast state parks for now but PA, MD, VA, NC, SC, and FL have only signs about camp ground entrance. If you pay your entry fee it's all wide open from there.
Puma 30RKSS

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I will admit to being one of those that like to check out a campground when I am in an area that I am visiting. I always stop by the office and ask If we can take a look, even at the state parks. There is no day use fee for state parks here in TN so anyone can come in and use them. I have not found it to be too big a problem when I have been camping anywhere we have gone. The bigger problem for me is people who cant drive slowly in the campground.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've been to many state parks where you can't drive through the campgrounds unless you're staying there. It's not just a Michigan thing. It really does make sense. There are always walkers and children playing so extra traffic could be dangerous. It also adds more congestion, lack of privacy and noise for the campers that paid for their site. Some folks also stop to use the bathrooms or if they see an empty spot they'll stop to have their picnic or do a little fishing in the river or lake.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I noticed a lot of drive bys during my last camping trip. When I took a walk around the campground, I realized most all were other campers. Looked like a few used my loop to turn around, but most seemed to be just sightseeing.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Dutchmen, It's similar in Michigan, residents in Michigan can pay $11/yr for a recreation passport that gets you in to all the state parks and other state fee areas. Visitors from out of state, or residents who didn't pay for a passport have to pay a day use fee to get in.

What they're talking about is separating the campground from the "day use" part of the park, so I guess adding a second gate house?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
In Indiana, no one gets inside the park without paying unless they have a season pass.

Camping areas are always restricted to ONLY paying camper and are stopped at the gate house before entering the actual campground area. Sometimes, they will let someone pass through if they want to see the campground for future camp site selections (which we've done ourselves). But mostly, if you are not a paid camper, you are not permitted in the camping area.

Personally, I like this rule.

Even in those State Recreation areas and State Parks that have horsemen campgrounds, if you are not a paid camper in the horse campground area, you don't get in, even if you are a paid camper in the regular campground in the same park.

Now if you are walking a trail or riding a bicycle, almost anyone can get past the campground entrance. But if in a car, you're not getting in unless you have a reason to be there.

Personally, I like that!