cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Badlands KOA/ BlackHIlls Big Pine

Jenanne
Explorer
Explorer
anyone been to Badlands KOA in last year? and /or Big Pine in Custer? We have res in both, 40 foot rv. any advice? comments?
8 REPLIES 8

donut_dave
Explorer
Explorer
we were in the upper area at big pine I felt the sites were too close together. next time we are doing custer state park

CObroker
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at Big Pine twice. It is our favorite place around the area. I think it's under new ownership in the last couple years, because we met them this last time we stayed late last year. Very nice and helpful.

The space to maneuver in the park was good, the sites are well spaced, plus they offer help parking if you like.

hope this helps
2017 Ram 3500 SRW w/Aisin
2017 Keystone Carbon 364
2 2017 Suzuki RMX450z bikes
2 Santa Cruz 5010 mtn bikes
2 cats...

Stumps
Explorer
Explorer
The Badlands/White River KOA in Interior is one of our favorite campgrounds in all the US. it's in a patch of cottonwood trees along the river, and it provides an oasis of shade that's hard to come by on that area. it's a pretty spot, and peaceful.
popups sold. searching for my next camper

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
KOA at Interior is your best bet. You will be just a few minutes from the South Entrance to the Badlands which is where the information center is. Tell the KOA that you are 40 foot long and that you want a long pull through. You will have plenty of space. We have stayed there several times with the most recent being a year ago. As stated earlier there is no phone signal but that is the Badlands. Also don't plan on eating out as there is nothing in the area. If you are going to Hill City from there take the back road. It is direct and a nice ride in your RV.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

Mike_Taverniti
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at the Badlands / White River KOA 2x and both times good. You will have no problem. Nice clean park and the take out cafe is good.

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
In Custer, there are several parks that I would use before Big Pine. We like staying in Custer State Park or at Custer's Gulch RV park.

67Cutlass
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Badlands Interior Motel & Campground in Interior, SD. Dont' recommend that place. Because of the poor electrical at Badlands Interior Motel & Campground it fried our connector on the end of our power cord.

Luckily KOA/White River is also at Interior, SD. They had the part I needed and had a chance to check them out. Nicer the Badlands Interior, but still dusty. There were more trees there and the sites seems ok. They did have a working pool and people were using it.

There is another campground in Interior called Badlands Grocery. It's full hookup with only 5 sites.

When in interior the best place would be the KOA and it's a toss up between Badlands Grocery and Badlands Interior Motel.

The Badlands Grocery does have FHUs with 50 amp service. Badlands interior has 50 amp service with water only.

Badlands Grocery

Badlands Interior Hotel and Campground

The sign says 'high chemical content' actually it was completely dry.

KOA / White River

There is another option just outside of Interior located at the southern entrance to Badlands National Park, but it is only 30/50 amp service without water or sewer.
Cedar Pass Campground (Concessionaire Operated)

The KOA has the best rating (8), Cedar Pass Campground (7.6), Badlands Motel and Campground (6.5) and Badlands Grocery (5.5)

It all depends on what your want/need. For FHUs that have 50 amp I would choose the KOA. I would go to Badlands Grocery before ever going back to Badlands Motel and Campground.

Cedar Pass Campground has the least to offer in hookups and from what I remember almost treeless.

Hope this helps
2012 Phaeton 40QBH
2015 Jeep Cherokee
SMI Air Force One
Retired USAF - CEVG and AFTAC
Member of Tiffin RV Network Forum

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Badlands KOA was fine, suspect you will have not cell there as we did not have any a few years ago - RV park reviews says this is still the case
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks