cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nova Scotia questions...

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Sitting here in sleet this AM and sun this afternoon, thinking it's time to hit the road. Don't know why my mind to turned north, but it did.
If we were to plan a trip to NS, would we need passports? Would we be able to take the dogs? would we be able to take the truck/fiver on the ferry? If so which ferry is recommended? Names of some of the resort style parks on NS. Help !
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)
9 REPLIES 9

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Little Kopit wrote:

NS ***********Louisbourg reconstructed Fortress, staffed in period dress and talk. If you do Cape Breton's Cabot Trail, make sure to go north to Meat Cove. IMHO the Cabot Trail is beaten by Gros Morne National Park at least 10 to 1. But yes, it's a ferry trip and at least 2 weeks to tease yourself.

Yes, Gros Morne NP in the North of Newfoundland is awesome. With some great local seafood restaurants. We've been there twice and hope to make it back a few more times.

But don't stop there. There's a ferry to Labrador ... !
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, drive through New Brunswick. If you want to do Grand Manan Island or Deer Island you need ferry. There is bridge at Lubec, ME* to Campobello Island. I've visited GM and C islands and used to own land near Lubec. Beautiful country.

Hopewell Rocks, Tidal Boar, Fundy National Park, Acadian Historical Village are some my favourite places, things to do.

NS ***********Louisbourg reconstructed Fortress, staffed in period dress and talk. If you do Cape Breton's Cabot Trail, make sure to go north to Meat Cove. IMHO the Cabot Trail is beaten by Gros Morne National Park at least 10 to 1. But yes, it's a ferry trip and at least 2 weeks to tease yourself. I've lived in 3 of Atlantic Canada's provinces. I like lots of more places in NS too.

If you're going to PEI, take the ferry to and the bridge from. Bridge is cheaper and you only pay when you leave. I can go on of course.

Chances are you'll be coming back

Go to: www.gooogle.ca and search "name of province and tourism" for visitors guides. I prefer calling because then I get the special booklets for hiking or other interests.

Budget: allow for eating out more than once. Lot of good restaurants.

:B

* Campobello border guard once told my father he'd written in the log for the night: "admitted one skunk, no questions asked.
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Make the trip longer, go to Newfoundland. It is a once in a lifetime trip like an Alaska trip.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Never been to Southern Nova Scotia, just to Cape Breton up in the North, Bras d'Or Lake and environs, then Sydney and the ferry to NW Newfoundland (now That's a ferry trip!).

If you like rustic, small roads and steep grades, going around Cape Breton is a great trip. Cape Breton Nat. Park has some big campsites, but there are also private campgrounds with full facilities (never been to them though), especially around Bras d'Or.

And about crossing the border ... be sure you have the proper documentation. Passports, NEXUS cards are excellent, but apparently gov photo id and original birth certificates will still work if you're a US or Canadian citizen. I wouldn't want to try it though.

And the US Border guards can very picky about bringing in any fresh vegetables/meats. When we go south for the winter, the frig is empty until we cross the border into the States.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
No Guns, no pepper spray, and don't forget to say "Please" "Thank You" and "sorry" We're very polite up here! 😉
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Better to drive around the Bay of Fundy & catch the sights. Much cheaper too.

Cheaper, yes, better-that's open for debate. It depends on how much time you have and what your ultimate goal is. I love taking ferries-it's part of the adventure for me. Love the Bay of Fundy, too-have been there many times. Neither is better or worse, just different.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
3 Dogs,

PPs and dog shots is correct, DW has family in CA and we do that a lot.

You don't need a ferry unless you want to use it to get to the east end of PEI or Newfoundland. Look at the price for Portland-Yarmouth or Newfoundland and time involved before you think too long.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Better to drive around the Bay of Fundy & catch the sights. Much cheaper too.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Passports -Yes, Dogs - Yes with vet checkup and req'd shots, truck and 5er on the ferry - Yes