cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who makes the lightest 50 amp bunkhouse trailer?

univmd
Explorer
Explorer

Our friends want to tow a brand new travel trailer with their 2014 Toyota Tundra 4WD Platinum CrewMax which has a towing capacity of only 9k and maximum tongue weight of only 900 or less. They want 2 AC units, bunkhouse, 50 amps. What brand new travel trailer would YOU recommend?

Thank you for your help, with warm regards, James
2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake
34 REPLIES 34

TTCrewmax
Explorer
Explorer
univmd wrote:
TTCrewmax wrote:
univmd wrote:
JWP127 wrote:
I have a Kodiak 285 BHSL. Its 33 feet and weighs 5900# unloaded. I'm guessing we're around 7000# loaded. Its 50 amp, but I have a reducer and camp at 30 amp spots, as those spots are easier to find. The 50 amp is there in case I ever install a 2nd air conditioner. The vent above the bed is pre-wired for one. So far the hottest I've camped is 89 degrees, with kids going in and out all day. The single a/c still did fine.

Thank you for another specific model! Yes we hear the Tundra is too small. At this point we just want to see what are the lightest of the 50 amp trailers.

The Tundra isn't too small. I tow a 32ft bunkhouse and it's rock solid. Even in high winds. My trailer is #6262 dry and about right around 8K wet. Truck does great in the mountains around Utah.

What make & model is your trailer, is it 50 amp? Thanks for sharing!

It's a Forest River Evo 2850. Not sure on 50 amp. It only has one AC unit

TTCrewmax
Explorer
Explorer
univmd wrote:
TTCrewmax wrote:
univmd wrote:
JWP127 wrote:
I have a Kodiak 285 BHSL. Its 33 feet and weighs 5900# unloaded. I'm guessing we're around 7000# loaded. Its 50 amp, but I have a reducer and camp at 30 amp spots, as those spots are easier to find. The 50 amp is there in case I ever install a 2nd air conditioner. The vent above the bed is pre-wired for one. So far the hottest I've camped is 89 degrees, with kids going in and out all day. The single a/c still did fine.

Thank you for another specific model! Yes we hear the Tundra is too small. At this point we just want to see what are the lightest of the 50 amp trailers.

The Tundra isn't too small. I tow a 32ft bunkhouse and it's rock solid. Even in high winds. My trailer is #6262 dry and about right around 8K wet. Truck does great in the mountains around Utah.

It's a Forest River Evo 2850. Not sure on 50 amp. It only has one AC unit

univmd
Explorer
Explorer
TTCrewmax wrote:
univmd wrote:
JWP127 wrote:

2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar

TTCrewmax
Explorer
Explorer
univmd wrote:
JWP127 wrote:

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
camperkilgore wrote:
We live in Florida, and also have traveled in severe heat waves(109 degrees in South Dakota comes to mind), and we only had 30 amps and one a/c. For those that say one is enough, I say nay nay. Our camper is a fifth wheel, but a smaller fifth wheel and it also does not have great insulation in the roof. So it is not all that different from a lot of travel trailers.

After that trip I added another a/c. I added a small disconnect type breaker panel and power cord to power that a/c along with one of the outlets in the bedroom. The a/c unit is a low amperage efficient unit that only draws about 10 amps, so we can stay at most 30 amp sites and still run both a/c units. We use an adapter to run that a/c from the 20a outlet at the pedestal, and also use the 30a outlet at the pedestal for the rest of the trailer. No, it does not cause tripping of any of the breakers due to ground fault interupter issues.

I'm sure I'll get a lot of folks warning of dangerous wiring issues. I studied all this thoroughly before doing this project, and followed all NEC guidelines. One of which is unbonded panel for the second breaker box. My power cord for the added line is the same size as the 30a cord that came with the camper. The current draw for the added line does not excede the 20a supply from the pedestal even under worst conditions.

I realize this is the travel trailer forum and ours is a fiver, but the same issues regarding a/c and hot weather still apply. We have been thinking of downsizing to a TT, and we will probably do the same thing to whatever TT we decide to get.

I can agree that there are time when 1 A/C is not enough for a large TT. BTDT in South Carolina heat 1 A/C was not enough.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

camperkilgore
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Florida, and also have traveled in severe heat waves(109 degrees in South Dakota comes to mind), and we only had 30 amps and one a/c. For those that say one is enough, I say nay nay. Our camper is a fifth wheel, but a smaller fifth wheel and it also does not have great insulation in the roof. So it is not all that different from a lot of travel trailers.

After that trip I added another a/c. I added a small disconnect type breaker panel and power cord to power that a/c along with one of the outlets in the bedroom. The a/c unit is a low amperage efficient unit that only draws about 10 amps, so we can stay at most 30 amp sites and still run both a/c units. We use an adapter to run that a/c from the 20a outlet at the pedestal, and also use the 30a outlet at the pedestal for the rest of the trailer. No, it does not cause tripping of any of the breakers due to ground fault interupter issues.

I'm sure I'll get a lot of folks warning of dangerous wiring issues. I studied all this thoroughly before doing this project, and followed all NEC guidelines. One of which is unbonded panel for the second breaker box. My power cord for the added line is the same size as the 30a cord that came with the camper. The current draw for the added line does not excede the 20a supply from the pedestal even under worst conditions.

I realize this is the travel trailer forum and ours is a fiver, but the same issues regarding a/c and hot weather still apply. We have been thinking of downsizing to a TT, and we will probably do the same thing to whatever TT we decide to get.
Tom & Carol

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
intheburbs wrote:
Just curious regarding the desire for 50 amps. I've had four different 30-amp trailers, and have stayed in some pretty hot places and never felt like the A/C was lacking.

50 amps allows you to forget energy management. Run A/C and multiple appliances,microwave,water heater etc. It simply gives you more power
2 A/Cs are always better than one when it gets hot.
But it's about more than just the AC's.
12000 watts vs.3600 watts gives you a lot more power for everything there is really no comparison.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious regarding the desire for 50 amps. I've had four different 30-amp trailers, and have stayed in some pretty hot places and never felt like the A/C was lacking.
2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)

univmd
Explorer
Explorer
JWP127 wrote:

2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar

JWP127
Explorer
Explorer

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
univmd wrote:

It would be great if there was a searchable, online database, but there's not as far as I know.

The models identified in the thread may or may not be the lightest. only detailed research will tell.

Go to the various manufacturer websites and cruise around.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

anw7405
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP. If you are looking for the lightest I would consider keystone passport. I didn't end up going with this trailer but you get a lot of real estate for weight If that's your criteria. pretty sure they have 2 AC 50 amp models as well.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Not to mention going with 50A will limit you to some campgrounds. So in some places you may need to use a 30-50A adapter to hook up the trailer which will mean only using one AC. And again that size trailer only needs one 15k btu A/C.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

shfd739
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
How do you get 2451 lbs. of payload with only 7600 lb. towing?

Early 2000s 3/4 ton Suburban/Yukon XL with the smaller 6.0 motor and 3.73 axle gearing.

I still keep kicking around trying to find one of these with 8.1 motor and going to a bigger travel trailer instead of fifth wheel.
'17 Shadow Cruiser 240BHS
'08 Toyota Sequoia Platinum
โ€˜07 NBS Silverado 2500 Dmax