cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Insurance Cancelled

jimj
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone who is insured thru Triumphe Casualty Co. or National Interstate been cancelled? I had insurance thru National Interstate and they transferred me over to Triumphe a few years back. The letter states that National Interstate will exit the "Personal lines insurance market". They state that this is a business decision and not my insurability. The agent is Explorer Insurance Agency.
I have been paying a premium for years for full replacement coverage. I have had very few claims.
They recomend Safeco. What insurance do any of you recommend?
I have until May to choose a new company.
Let me know what you think.

Thanks

JimJ
26 REPLIES 26

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
KPetrick: Thanks for the info. For my RV I use an indie writer that specializes in RVs, motorcycles and the like.

Yes, National Interstate did send me to Liberty Mutual, and I was going to go for it. (Why not?) Then, my insurance agency called saying even tho they write for Liberty Mutual and others, they thought Progressive, for my RV was better. Same coverage, same premium. Policy runs a full year.

Their statement that Safeco and Progressive are the same company...different names for different states...that's what they said. (Unless I didn't hear it correctly)

Now...I did get a policy in the mail from Liberty Mutual just the other day. Premium was a bit more than what I just paid Progressive. Maybe 50-80 bucks.

KPetrick
Explorer
Explorer
Jerseyjim,

Your agent might have been a bit confused. Safeco is owned by Liberty Mutual and writes through independent agents while Liberty Mutual writes directly with consumers via 800#'s or their own employees.
Progressive is a separate company that will write through independent agents as well but they also write directly with consumers via the internet and 800#.
Foremost is owned by Farmers. Farmers has agents that only write Farmers but Foremost is written by independent agents.
Other companies like State Farm and Allstate only write with the one company and they can't offer anything else.
The best thing to do is to find an agency that is an "independent" agency that can quote multiple carriers and do the shopping for you but make sure you find one that understands the RV consumer and the coverage's they need. There are many good independent agencies out there.
Keith - Director of Good Sam Insurance Agency (an independent agency)

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
Blutoyz wrote:
rk911 wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
...I have no brand loyalty with anything or anyone and it's apparent that they don't have any loyalty to their long term customers, either.

iโ€™m curious as to how you would describe loyalty to long term customers? weโ€™ve been state farm customers since 1970 and my folks had their auto insurance with SF for as long as i can recall. when i call i get a human in my agentโ€™s office; my email queries are answered; the few claims weโ€™ve had over the years have been handled quickly and fairly. what more can you ask?

I was with SF for 24 years with perhaps 2 minor claims and when I had a comp claim they didn't hesitate to apply my $500 deductible. After that I decided to shop and found they were over-charging my by a solid 25% for years. The "shop around every 3 years" is good advice for all insurance

And the rest of the story. When Insurance is purchased, Comp. deductibles are chosen. The higher deductible the lower the premium. SF did not only apply the Comp deductible ,it applied the amount YOU selected when the policy was purchased. Still, shopping the coverage every 2 to 3 yrs. is smart.

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
...I have no brand loyalty with anything or anyone and it's apparent that they don't have any loyalty to their long term customers, either.

iโ€™m curious as to how you would describe loyalty to long term customers? weโ€™ve been state farm customers since 1970 and my folks had their auto insurance with SF for as long as i can recall. when i call i get a human in my agentโ€™s office; my email queries are answered; the few claims weโ€™ve had over the years have been handled quickly and fairly. what more can you ask?

I was with SF for 24 years with perhaps 2 minor claims and when I had a comp claim they didn't hesitate to apply my $500 deductible. After that I decided to shop and found they were over-charging my by a solid 25% for years. The "shop around every 3 years" is good advice for all insurance
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
1968mooney wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
timmac wrote:
National Interstate cancelled on me as well, so I went with Safeco same protection and a $100 less per year, hope they don't raise me next year like many do.

\
Be a good boy and they won't.... maybe.:Z

My view of insurance is a big Ponzi scheme with the insurance company pulling off a good percentage so they can live a lavish lifestyle while you pay for it.

Useing your view of Insurance Co., I am sure you don't mind so many Co.s getting out of the RV coverage business. Maybe the Gov. will declare all of them Ponzi schemes and no one will get coverage for their RV's.

I'm using SCF's view of insurance also.............

tropical36 wrote:
rk911 wrote:
tropical36 wrote:

I can ask for and receive the same service as you obviously expect, but at the best price possible, as well.
Actually, when switching to Allstate this last time around, not only did I save some money, but have probably received even better service. Now next time around, I may even end up with SF or Progressive again, to name a couple and have came full circle before. Now, why is it that when one's long term loyal company refuses to better or match a new offer, they'll let you walk and then with some years later, do you even better, when asking them for a quote?
You may want to test SF and their loyalty to you, by getting some quotes from others and see if they'll at least match it and assuming it's lower than your paying now...TOP TEN COMPANIES There's another thing with longevity and that's with vehicle depreciation and especially with RV's. Seems that once there's a value on your rig, it stays there, year after year and no matter how old it gets. Just look at your premiums year after year and for seeing if the rates are going up or down.
As for getting quotes, some find this lead useful, for cutting through the chase... QUOTE WIZARD

You said a mouthful. I just switched from Progressive to Liberty Mutual after 9 years. Saved about $500 per year with 2 vehicles full coverage, the 2017 TT, and homeowners and got higher coverage's across the board. Progressive was given the opportunity to match and opted to have us jump ship. Liberty Mutual also issues policies on a yearly basis, not every 6 months.

Its a racket. Progressive has "accident forgiveness". Go ahead and have an at fault and see how you are forgiven. When the 35% rate increase hits next renewal they'll be happy to explain how your rate did not increase but you lost your "safe driver" and "accident free" discounts. To them it's not a rate increase but a loss of discounts, to you it's a 35% rate increase LOL.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Having been with National Interstate from 2001, got that letter in February. They told us they were moving us to Liberty insurance. My agent contacted us and told us Liberty was good, but Progressive was better. Same coverage, similar premium.

I took his advise and am now with Progressive. I mentioned to this agent that many RVers were going with Safeco. He said that Safeco and Progressive are the same company...just different names for different states.

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
We had NI for 11 years. They stopped writing in NJ and were going to put us with some other CO, Cna't remember who, except it was expensive. Wound up with Progressive. Had three quotes, three prices and three different coverages, all Progressive, MAKE SURE you are getting what you think you are. In NJ we have limited choices, only a couple companies write large RVs. My brother has a B and his regular auto company had no issues.
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I just had a head-on with a Progressive client (her fault) and it's taken her insurance 2 weeks of puttering. I finally went to mine and they said rent a car and theyd try to get Progressive off their behinds.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimj wrote:
Has anyone who is insured thru Triumphe Casualty Co. or National Interstate been cancelled? I had insurance thru National Interstate and they transferred me over to Triumphe a few years back. The letter states that National Interstate will exit the "Personal lines insurance market". They state that this is a business decision and not my insurability. The agent is Explorer Insurance Agency.
I have been paying a premium for years for full replacement coverage. I have had very few claims.

Thanks

JimJ

Yes, everyone was cancelled. They moved me to SafeCo and that appears to be OK for the time being.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I moved to Geico after receiving my letter. Had one claim and Geico came thru with flying colors. Only issue I have with Geico is they'll only write a 6mo policy. PITA come renewal time..Remember, there are only a handful of companies offering full timer insurance.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

SusanDallas
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I wasn't aware of when I was shopping around for cheaper rates was that using your roadside assistance will really raise your rates. I had 4 of the roadside assistant claims over 7 years. Two of these were dead battery jumps, one was a flat tire and one tow. They all count as tows. Since I live in a rural area, I counted on the convenience of this service. I have since dropped this coverage from my policy since I do have Good Sam as well. It is better to call for mechanical service yourself if you are close to home or call Good Sam.

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
I have my RV and my cars insured with Geico. I have shopped around to compare rates and Geico continues to beat them all for me.
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad
EEZ-RV tire pressure monitor

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Consumer reports has rated Amica the top insurance company for customer satisfaction, and they pay instead of giving you the run around. I think it's especially good if you have top tier credit. They didn't use to do RV's is why I wasn't with them, but apparently that's changed. I started with them last year and I have full coverage on my new Greyhawk for $500. But I also have many properties and many vehicles with them.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
jimj wrote:

Thanks

JimJ

Get a quote from Good Sam for comparison. I want an insurance company that primarly services RVes. Especially when buying" Emergency Road Side service."