cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need actual owners experience on which 1 ton to buy.

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
I really want some real world experience from actual owners to aid me in which new truck to buy. First off I am a die hard Chevrolet owner but from the price quotes I have been getting they are out of my price range regretfully.
1. 2017 Chevrolet 3500 crew cab DRW 6.6 diesel Allison trans. best price I found on lowest trim level was $50,000.
2. 2017 Ram 3500 tradesman crew cab DRW 6.7 diesel with Aisin trans. for $43,000.
3. 2017 Ford F-350 XL package 6.7 diesel crew cab DRW for $45,000.
All are basically equipped the same but I want real world advice pertaining to issues you have had with yours and your likes and dislikes. Just want to make the right decision for our future pulling needs of around 20,000 lbs as everyday use as this will be my daily driver also. I owned a dually before so I know the downfalls of that in itself. Just advice on particular models themselves. Thanks!!!!
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains
51 REPLIES 51

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
I ran a 2004 6.0 F 250 for 200K miles without any issues. Most of the miles were pulling our old Sunnybrook fiver. We then did a dp Class A for a few years with a Cummins 5.9. After a lot of thought we went back to a fiver. Since the fiver is heavy I looked at upgrading the TV. We went with the 2017 F-350 dually 6.7. Personally I want ride comfort as we are retired and travel a lot. In looking for a tv I would look not only at the mechanical aspects but the longevity of all the components.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
All the 3 truck mfgrs make a great truck nowadays. I'd chose one over the other based on features and price. I don't plan on keeping mine forever so if it has issues down the road, I'll sell it and move on to another.

To put this in a slightly different perspective, since most of us tow - compare the quality of the RV's with the quality of our trucks. The RV industry is rife with all sorts of sloppy manufacturing. RV dealers are shadier than used car dealers. Service at RV dealers is non-existent to slow as molasses. If this were the car industry, these RV mfgrs would go bankrupt in a heartbeat!

Enjoy your rides!
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
We like our 2017 Ford so far. Prior to this, we had a 2015, we liked that too. Towed our 38' hauler like a dream. Like I think someone else mentioned, these days, I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the big trucks from the Big Three. But even our 2017 rides way smoother than the 2015 did. The 2015 was a Platinum, this one a King Ranch.

FWIW, my FIL just retired from the HotShot business, mainly doing oil field runs. He used GMCs and Dodge/RAMs for his business as he could usually get them at a better price than Fords. He still has a 1998 GMC 2500 with over 200k on it and it runs like a champ.

I do know though, when I was looking to buy my Explorer, I didn't feel like any of the other manufacturers compared when it came to the motor and the interior finishings. The GMC Acadia I looked at was awful compared to the Explorer, drove like poo too. But that's not what we're talking about here 🙂
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Bedlam
I had a Ford for 10 years and needed a bigger truck. I was happy with the the Ford, but the 10 percent savings on a comparably equipped Ram changed my mind. There are differences between them: I was used to the acceleration of a V8 diesel over the churn of the I-6 - The first one gets up to speed faster while the latter holds the speed better. Ram instruments and base radio are better than Ford's - I swapped my Ford radio out for a Nav unit and used a ScanGauge II veses using the stock Ram gear. Seats and controls were better in the Ford base XL trim - My Tradesman Ram does not have lumbar support in sculpted seats and the controls are not tactile requiring you to look at the button label.

For me the base trim brings alot of value and I am not impressed with all the extras upper trim lines bring with them. I would suggest getting the cloth seats or covering the vinyl ones with more comfortable slip-ons.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
My friend had his built 3 times for big $$$. He laughed at our 3500 with the Allison. Nothing is perfect.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
My point was that they have all had issues I the past, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the 3 now, however every brand has their lemons.

As far as my experience, the last tranny was a good one, I just got sick of the other issues the truck kept having.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"but I know you ram guys will say mine was the only one to have had any issues."

I agree the trans was a problem for some. But a quality rebuild would have made it one of the toughest 4 speed auto trans out there.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks to Cummins12.
Some people like to tow heavy and stay on the interstates and main highways.
I like to go light and go everywhere.
In Canada there are main highways that have 10% grades if I remember right.

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
Wow..yet another brand war ...lol

I have throw my 3 cents in, while my current 16 ford 6.7 doesn't have many miles my previous 2011 6.7 did have about 120k trouble free miles before I traded for a DRW. I know just a matter of time before my pump implodes and pulls me and my family into a black hole to never return.

BTW..i did own a dodge once, back in 95 ...3 transmissions and many other parts later I dumped it...but I know you ram guys will say mine was the only one to have had any issues.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
JCR-1 wrote:
No one seems to mention the FORD body mounts that turn to dust after a few years. Ford has been using body bushings (mounts) for years and they will not stand behind their ultimate failures which too are a PITA to replace as well as expensive. Ford keeps on repeating and using failed components and does not stand behind their known and repeated failures.

I don't think any of the big three have had body mount issue since the late 90's?

and to be honest, I don't really care what's a maintenance nightmare for the truck's 3rd or 4th owner anyways.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
JCR-1 wrote:
No one seems to mention the FORD body mounts that turn to dust after a few years. Ford has been using body bushings (mounts) for years and they will not stand behind their ultimate failures which too are a PITA to replace as well as expensive. Ford keeps on repeating and using failed components and does not stand behind their known and repeated failures.

New one on me. Got 250K miles on my 12YO truck with no issue like that.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I can say my new Ram 3500 Laramie dually is miles ahead in comfort and fit and finish of what my '09 Silverado 2500 LTZ was.
I was very disappointed in that Chevy for it being top of the line trim and the level of noise and crappy sound system in it.

My Ram being diesel is quieter than the Silverado being gas.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
blt2ski wrote:
Cummins,

Where are you pulling 14% grades for miles? I pull those kind of grades, most are at speeds of under 40 mph, most are local, ie city, county roads, some are forest service or campground roads, also clients driveways, had one that was 33% for 100 yds or so. Interstates can not be more than 6% with spurts to 8%. HP needed to pull a 14% grade at the weight you are at 60 mph, would be three times what your rig has.

Marty

I think it was Colorado. I know the sign shows downhill but there was similar uphill also.

To be clear I was not claiming anything amazing with concern to speed. Locked in 2nd I was around 35mph up and down those grades. "I can tell you pulling 14% grades locked in 2nd for miles at temps"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD